Page 51 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I know you meant 'Tec 1000, but I also think Tom did something similar in 2017, with Bruce and Selina growing old together in Batman Annual#2.
    Yeah, while I don't think that the future at the end of Annual #2 is literally gonna happen, its goal is to thematically indicate what he's going for in the end point of his story. So just like his DC#1000 story, they're not literal spoilers, but intentionally placed teasers.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Loco View Post
    Psycho Pirate could manipulate Alfred, or Thomas. It’s hard to imagine how he could manipulate, say, Tim Drake though. Or Barbara. Also, Bruce took the Medusa Mask from Hayden after “I Am Bane” - (it’s on his table during The Button) - so it’s questionable how PP got it back.

I keep coming back to the running gag where Bruce & Selina have two different recollections of how they met. That’s always seemed like a harmless nod to previous continuities, but what if it’s something more? I dunno exactly what, but some indication that reality itself is somehow askew. See also # 44 where Bruce & Selina have a conversation about how they are always “changing”.
    I don't think he manipulated Tim, Barbara, or the rest of that group, they just got their information from Alfred, who we assume is under the control, so that's why they believe him.

And yeah I'm with you that the boat/street is almost certainly some kind of important clue that will either be resolved or pay off by the end. The conflicting continuities have been brought up and referenced literally and thematically so much there's gonna be something to it. Though I guess it also depends how much the events of Doomsday Clock will pay off in his run, since we already know the dualing memories are all because of Dr. Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Yet another interview hyping up "the change."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2019/05/...lan-dc-rebirth

I really hope it's not something like Batman kills Bane.
    I think that interview is interesting, in that while he says what he has said before, that the plane was Bane and that Bane wanted to lose so he could be locked up in Arkham, but he doesn't explain how much of the events in-between were in his control beyond just "Batman needs Catwoman, but Bane is manipulating that a bit." Especially given his reaction at the end of I Am Suicide (unless King is cheating with his writing), it doesn't look like Bane intended to lose.

I'm still going with using Gotham and Gotham Girl to break him was his Plan A, and then after that defeat he changed it to using Catwoman to break him as his Plan B.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Is it possible that the home invasion in the last issue didn't actually happen but instead was a false memory that was implemented in Bruce while he was locked in Arkham?

Something like that would fall in line with Bane's plan to break the Bat mentally.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Is it possible that the home invasion in the last issue didn't actually happen but instead was a false memory that was implemented in Bruce while he was locked in Arkham?

Something like that would fall in line with Bane's plan to break the Bat mentally.
    King has said that this is not a Knightmare, so I think this is actually happening. I just wonder if Alfred is being manipulated, because he felt off.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    King has said that this is not a Knightmare, so I think this is actually happening. I just wonder if Alfred is being manipulated, because he felt off.
    King has said that it's not a knightmare but he didn't confirm that the invasion ever happened either. It's entirely possible that more was done to Bruce while he was having his knightmare but hasn't fully realized it either.

I mean, didn't Bruce also say that he was being held in Arkham for weeks? Yet nobody was behaving like Bruce had suddenly showed up after being gone for a good amount of time.

I firmly believe that the boat and street conflict isn't just a gag. I think it will be a plot point, somehow, in the final resolution of the narrative.
    I may be way off but here are my thoughts on the boat/street thing.

1. I think we all know the question of where they first met represents their first meeting in different continuities. The first meeting of Batman and Catwoman was on a boat until the Crisis reboot and the subsequent retcon in Year One where they first meet on the street.

2. So much of what's happening across the DC line has to do with conflicting continuities... Doomsday Clock, Dr. Manhattan, Flashpoint, Flashpoint Batman, Jor-El/Mr. Oz, Young Justice... The list goes on and none of these stories have been resolved so continuity has been up in the air since 2011(!). It seems clear to me that DC is purposefully telling us to notice that continuity in the DCU is confused right now. The latest issue of YJ where Zatanna restored Tim Drake's memories of his old teammates who had been retconned away is the clearest and most recent example of this.

3. I think the summit between Didio, Johns, Snyder, King, and Bendis was about synching up whatever's about to happen across the line regarding these conflicting continuities. I further think the most recent delays to D-Clock probably have to do with what came out of that summit. Each of the listed writers is working on major events that bring continuity into question and they're all touching on it in their own ways at the same time. I can't imagine they'd all be doing that without coordinating their plans so I put a lot of stock in the question(s) of what came of that summit.

4. It seems likely to me that this all somehow ties into The Button, Flashpoint Batman, and Jor-El/Mr. Oz. I don't think that bringing back Superman's dead father and Batman's dead father is coincidental. Both of their fathers have been dead for the entire history of the DCU until Dr. Manhattan and their deaths have been essential to each character's origins. So I think Dr. Manhattan likely had a hand in that and, if he did, there must be some in-story reason for him having brought back Batman's father and Superman's father.

At first I took it the boat/street question as a way of honoring the history of Batman and Catwoman as King has done in so many ways. As more and more questions about continuity arise though I'm thinking that the boat/street continuity question is likely to be of a piece with ALL of the continuity questions across the DCU.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 05-16-2019 at 02:50 PM.

Should have read through the thread before posting. Several people made a lot of the same points already and if I'd seen all that I would have just replied to say I agree and bring up the Superman/Batman father thing which I haven't seen elsewhere in this thread.

To follow up on what I wrote above, I'm 20 minutes into this 2 hour(!) interview with Scott Snyder and he's just gone on and on and on about how everything in the DCU right now is connected and it's all going to pay off that way.

I'm more and more inclined to believe that Flashpoint/D-Clock, et al is going to be relevant to King's epic run on Batman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwH5R6MCzFw

Good insights, BatmanJones! I'm still a bit skeptical that DC will be able to tie everything together after the last year has been so all over the place, but it does look like they're off to a better start this summer. And I hope that somehow the street and boat continuities are harmonized in an exciting, emotionally powerful way.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Incredible Member

That sounds kind of ominous to me. I hope it pays off in a satisfying way.

If anyone is interested (and knows spanish) here's is an interview with Jorge Fornes. It reminds me of an interview, from the same website, with Mikel Janín, because both pencilers agree that Tom King adapts his script to the penciler and is pretty open to changes, which is similar to how Jeph Loeb writes. Towards the end of the interview it's more focused in King's Batman if you are interested solely in that

https://www.zonanegativa.com/entrevista-a-jorge-fornes/
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    If anyone is interested (and knows spanish) here's is an interview with Jorge Fornes. It reminds me of an interview, from the same website, with Mikel Janín, because both pencilers agree that Tom King adapts his script to the penciler and is pretty open to changes, which is similar to how Jeph Loeb writes. Towards the end of the interview it's more focused in King's Batman if you are interested solely in that

https://www.zonanegativa.com/entrevista-a-jorge-fornes/
    Cheating and using google translate

Thanks for the link! I am really, really glad that Tom King has glommed onto Fornes, as his art has been some of the most excited I've been about Batman art in a long, long time (since Alvaro Martinez, actually ).

I love the details he gives. I really hope that King can give him a three or five issue arc - I'd love to see how he does full art on a longer issue, given how jewel-like his polish is on the one shots and fill-ins.

Cheating and using google translate

Thanks for the link! I am really, really glad that Tom King has glommed onto Fornes, as his art has been some of the most excited I've been about Batman art in a long, long time (since Alvaro Martinez, actually ).

I love the details he gives. I really hope that King can give him a three or five issue arc - I'd love to see how he does full art on a longer issue, given how jewel-like his polish is on the one shots and fill-ins.
    Yes! After reading the interview I was left really excited of the possibility of full issues done by him. I love the vibe he gives to the book, in contrast with a more sophisticated Batman full of gizmos. I'm more "old" school in that sense. I love this type of interviews were we learn about the path a certain person has to endure to arrive to one of the big two
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Don’t Bane & Thomas know where the Batcave is? Couldn’t they retrieve it from the cave while Bruce was locked away?
    Hayden’s not wearing the mask in the scene at the end of #50. But you are correct that he could have re-acquired it via Bane or Thomas since then. He would have been without it from #20 to #50 though.
    Cheers - CL

Solicts have been posted for Batman 76 and 77.
    https://www.newsarama.com/45227-dc-a...man-76-77.html

spoilers:
    Gotham City, and Batman is nowhere to be found. At least, not a Batman anyone recognizes. Flashpoint Batman is now patrolling the city, dispensing a violent brand of justice and taking out rogue villains who haven’t yet signed on with Bane. It’s all building to a rebellion among the bad guys who don’t want to play along— and distrust in those who do! Meanwhile, a surprising ally has come to Bruce Wayne’s aid, nursing him back to health so that he can get back to his city.

“City of Bane” continues! The last of the independent villains are on the run, leaving Gotham City entirely to Bane and his cronies—including Flashpoint Batman and Gotham Girl! Though this means a semblance of peace on the streets, the iron grip of tyranny is squeezing all life out of Gotham. And with Bane’s machinations keeping other heroes out, the city really needs the Batman to return. Is Bruce Wayne ready to face his toughest foes yet…his father and the man who broke his back?
    end of spoilers

Gee, I wonder who that could be?
    Last edited by Pohzee; 05-17-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by rev516 View Post
    My thoughts on King's run: I want it to end already. I'm tired of him. In my opinion, he is the worst writer of Batman I have ever seen.
    Couldn't agree more