Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The first CBR article in a looooong time that I actually liked:

How Tom King is Revolutionalizing the DC Universe by Making it More Human
    "...And he achieves all this by instilling compassion in his characters and overall plots, allowing us to empathize, whether it’s with a hero or villain. His and Mikel Janin’s “I Am Suicide” arc shocked Batman fans by revealing a young Bruce Wayne tried to kill himself after his parents’ death. Kings’ scripts humanized characters like Kite Man, a lost soul; Riddler, a desperate, lonely shell of a person looking for purpose; and even the Joker, a petulant but jealous narcissist. Most importantly, the strands of humanity he’s put into the title are set to culminate with the impending nuptials between Batman and Catwoman. After all, what’s more relatable than love and marriage?"

I loved what he did with Kite Man. If you can make a character out of Charles Brown, then you have ability. We need more talent that can start with jokes like Kite-Man and upgrade them to characters like Kite-Man.

I'm also glad that the Joker is now not the 'villain that no one could become'; there was a time when Mister J was not allowed to be shown doing anything that would humanize him. He was just evil for evil's sake and an mortal embodiment of chaos. This is lousy character development.

I also like the description of the Riddler. His new look is good too.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 06-12-2018 at 07:07 PM.