Page 53 of 134 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Yeah, but obviously he hasn't stayed dead. I'm guessing if they introduced another Wayne child (especially a biological one) she'll be another more or less permanent addition.
    I'm trying to say is that being Bruce's bio kid isn't a guarantee that forces writers to keep the change since that wasn't the case with Damian.

After his creator killed him another writer had to lobby for his return and even then the then Batman writer refused to write him. He ended up banished from the bat office.

Damian survived because he was popular not because he was Bruce's kid. Even as popular as Damian is he still isn't used by the Bat office and the writers after Morrison [who created] and Tomasi [who championed him] haven't used him.

You can't always force writers to use characters they don't want to use. Batman writers tend to get creative licence.
    Of course that is not to say that a baby won't survive but there is no guarantee.
    Last edited by dietrich; 05-19-2019 at 03:07 AM.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05...ue-will-be-85/

I really really hope this isn't true. Ending the story 15 issues early is probably not a good idea

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post

I really really hope this isn't true. Ending the story 15 issues early is probably not a good idea
    I agree. I normally wouldn't comment on an article from that site, but the rumor is really bad. I hope that even if DC doesn't want to have King do his extra 5 issues, they'll at least let him do the 100 that takes him to the end.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post

I doubt this is true but it but if it is I feel bad for Tom King.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I don’t buy it but if it is I feel pretty bad for Tom King.
    I really hope it's not true. Only thing I could see happening with Tom King's consent is if the TV pilot he wrote during The Price was picked up for full series.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

King's batman title has been DC's best selling on-going book for a good while now. I don't see why DC would drop him now when he's still doing better numbers than anybody (on-going titles, not counting minis or events) else by a fairly large margin.

Incredible Member

Oh, this is BAD. He won't be able to even reunite Bruce and Selina if this happens.

And he JUST was talking about the change last week! That sucks. Especially for people who've been suffering through all this waiting for the end.

Oh, this is BAD. He won't be able to even reunite Bruce and Selina if this happens.

And he JUST was talking about the change last week! That sucks. Especially for people who've been suffering through all this waiting for the end.
    I mean. I haven't been suffering, for the most part. I've loved what he's doing. Which is why I'm upset, if it's true.

Incredible Member

Well yeah, it probably means no marriage after all.

Also, why on earth did they let him hype this up in the news just DAYS ago if it wasn't going to be allowed to happen?

Well yeah, it probably means no marriage after all.

Also, why on earth did they let him hype this up in the news just DAYS ago if it wasn't going to be allowed to happen?
    That's what is so frustrating and perplexing about this. I hope DC realizes that they need to jump on this as soon as possible and let fans know what's really going on.

Mighty Member

I think Rich did a good job of explaining (broadly) his sources and how this was not what he wanted, so imagine there's some smoke (but not necessarily fire). One could imagine, say, DC coming back and telling King he can't do [X] and him threatening to leave being telephoned into this story. While Batman is still DC's bestselling title, the actual numbers are quite a bit down in the last few months (over 100K in the mid-40s before the wedding, recently in the 80K range)- whether it's post-wedding blahs, natural attrition, Knightmares, the market as a whole, or something else, it's definitely possible DC has *some* concern about the numbers (while they're also possibly worrying about Bendis's sales numbers - with the caveat that Bendis is somewhat known for doing very well in trade and younger-skewing books tend to do better digitally, so the ComiChron numbers might be understating his relative appeal).

As to the consequences of it, I'd be done w/reading monthlies at DC. I'm only down to the bat-books, GL, and events that interest me. I'm enjoying King's run well enough (Knightmares was not my cup of tea), but this wouldn't be a rage quit - just a "if you're not always going to let stories reach their natural conclusion, I'll wait until stories are done to buy them in collected form."
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Lmao. Fully preparing myself to never pick up a DC comic again.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I think Rich did a good job of explaining (broadly) his sources and how this was not what he wanted, so imagine there's some smoke (but not necessarily fire). One could imagine, say, DC coming back and telling King he can't do [X] and him threatening to leave being telephoned into this story. While Batman is still DC's bestselling title, the actual numbers are quite a bit down in the last few months (over 100K in the mid-40s before the wedding, recently in the 80K range)- whether it's post-wedding blahs, natural attrition, Knightmares, the market as a whole, or something else, it's definitely possible DC has *some* concern about the numbers (while they're also possibly worrying about Bendis's sales numbers - with the caveat that Bendis is somewhat known for doing very well in trade and younger-skewing books tend to do better digitally, so the ComiChron numbers might be understating his relative appeal).

As to the consequences of it, I'd be done w/reading monthlies at DC. I'm only down to the bat-books, GL, and events that interest me. I'm enjoying King's run well enough (Knightmares was not my cup of tea), but this wouldn't be a rage quit - just a "if you're not always going to let stories reach their natural conclusion, I'll wait until stories are done to buy them in collected form."
    I know sales have been down since #50. But they don't seem like they're down beyond what I'd expect from normal attrition.

It's a bit outside of the scope of this thread, but I do agree that DC seems to have bet a LOT on Bendis, and while he's selling solidly, he's not doing anything particularly spectacular, which is a problem when they've given him basically a fifth to a fourth of their total titles to write directly or control. (A move which, while I like Bendis quite a bit, I would not have thought was wise, but was likely a condition of them poaching from Marvel.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Lmao. Fully preparing myself to never pick up a DC comic again.
    I know exactly what would prompt me to leave DC again (I did it in 2012 with the n52), and it's the same reason now as then: killing or erasing Steph. But this would definitely loosen my brand loyalty a lot.

Incredible Member

I genuinely just got into comics because I wanted to see Batman and Catwoman get married and I became convinced based on his own words that this would happen.

I'm so disappointed. I'll just bow out altogether if this whole thing goes down in the dumps.

I genuinely just got into comics because I wanted to see Batman and Catwoman get married and I became convinced based on his own words that this would happen.

I'm so disappointed. I'll just bow out altogether if this whole thing goes down in the dumps.
    Well.

I have to listen to my own favorite character: There's room in our line of comics for hope...always.