Page 36 of 134 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    So, I'm thinking that even though it clearly takes place out of sequence in King's run, we should talk about his story from Detective Comics #1000 here, too!

I quite liked it.
    Think that everyone who appeared will appear in the big batman event in issue 75.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Think that everyone who appeared will appear in the big batman event in issue 75.
    That would be pretty cool! Though they've been promising that 75 will be super sad for a year now.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I liked the story that King did in TEC #1000 alongside Tony S. Daniel and Joelle Jones. The art was great (of course), and it was much more satisfying that what he did in the Batman Secret Files especial. The dialogue was fun and the story simple but it carried a nice ending. I'm not the biggest fan of the Batfamily as I'm not especially interested about each individual in it, but I like the concept as a whole and that it represents one of the most inspirational and positive sides of Batman
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I liked the story that King did in TEC #1000 alongside Tony S. Daniel and Joelle Jones. The art was great (of course), and it was much more satisfying that what he did in the Batman Secret Files especial. The dialogue was fun and the story simple but it carried a nice ending. I'm not the biggest fan of the Batfamily as I'm not especially interested about each individual in it, but I like the concept as a whole and that it represents one of the most inspirational and positive sides of Batman
    One could almost look at this story as the response to the Secret Files story. In Secret Files, Batman asks "Am I enough?" Here, we learn that the answer is "No - but you have a family who is."

I'm super into the Batfamily, of course, so naturally this story was my jam.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

One could almost look at this story as the response to the Secret Files story. In Secret Files, Batman asks "Am I enough?" Here, we learn that the answer is "No - but you have a family who is."

I'm super into the Batfamily, of course, so naturally this story was my jam.
    Nice way of making a relation between both stories. Glad you liked it, especially considering that many members of the Batfamily have been kinda missing since Tynion left TEC. As mixed as I think his run was, I enjoyed that he made a team book with different members of the Batfamily that don't get to shine as much, at least since the New 52 made them go MIA. I don't know if I would read it, but it would be nice that a similar book was out there, in the shelves, even if they're just one and done stories with a rotating cast, instead of the grand scale story Tynion designed
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Nice way of making a relation between both stories. Glad you liked it, especially considering that many members of the Batfamily have been kinda missing since Tynion left TEC. As mixed as I think his run was, I enjoyed that he made a team book with different members of the Batfamily that don't get to shine as much, at least since the New 52 made them go MIA. I don't know if I would read it, but it would be nice that a similar book was out there, in the shelves, even if they're just one and done stories with a rotating cast, instead of the grand scale story Tynion designed
    A Batman: Brave and the Bold actual ongoing teamup book would be pretty darn cool. We have the cast to do it! Just need a writer who can keep it going.

Amazing Member

A lot to love in this short: the recurring Dick-Damian relationship we see throughout King's run, starting from Grayson #12, the "quilt of colors" reference from Batman #54, Jason's worries of getting kicked out, and the way King writes the family with distinct voices.

It would be funny if the cemetery caretaker found the photo at the Waynes' graves - Batman didn't really think that out, huh.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge95 View Post
    A lot to love in this short: the recurring Dick-Damian relationship we see throughout King's run, starting from Grayson #12, the "quilt of colors" reference from Batman #54, Jason's worries of getting kicked out, and the way King writes the family with distinct voices.

It would be funny if the cemetery caretaker found the photo at the Waynes' graves - Batman didn't really think that out, huh.
    Oh, man, you got me right there with the reference to Grayson #12. That issue gets me every time, and is the first one I ever got signed by King.

I also thought that King did a pretty sharp job of differentiating voices. A lot of people thought it was same-voice, but I looked and think there's careful choices in words and tone that King uses to make it not all patter from the same voice.

I bet Batman owns the cemetary. And Alfred tends it. Or Harold! Or a Bat Robot. ROOKIE!

So much to love about Tec 1K! Such a great snapshot (literally!) of the Family and their dynamic. Babs trolling Dick, and Duke and Jason’s antagonist banter continuing from RoE was great. It’s easy to forget King does comedy just as well as he does bleak sad dad.

Jason’s insecurity was very soft and a much better take than the downright abusive relationship that Lobdell has been pushing. I don’t remember much of anything from B&R Eternal, is this Helena and Cass’s first meeting? Definitely need to see more of them. Loved seeing Tim and Step acting like actual teenagers too.

Great work from Jones as always, while Daniels’ new style continues to pale in comparison to his RIP days.

I’ve been thinking Knightmares and The Fallen will culminate in Bruce turning to the family for help. “Can Batman be happy?” is obviously the central theme of the run, but I think the underlying current is Bruce realizing he doesn’t have to be a martyr in his crusade, and that Selina and the family make him stronger. This short lends credence to that theory I think.

(Also: best boy Ace!)

(Also also: I guess Luke is back in purgatory with Harper? lol)
    Last edited by Kurisu; 03-27-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    So much to love about Tec 1K! Such a great snapshot (literally!) of the Family and their dynamic. Babs trolling Dick, and Duke and Jason’s antagonist banter continuing from RoE was great. It’s easy to forget King does comedy just as well as he does bleak sad dad.

Jason’s insecurity was very soft and a much better take than the downright abusive relationship that Lobdell has been pushing. I don’t remember much of anything from B&R Eternal, is this Helena and Cass’s first meeting? Definitely need to see more of them. Loved seeing Tim and Step acting like actual teenagers too.

Great work from Jones as always, while Daniels’ new style continues to pale in comparison to his RIP days.

I’ve been thinking Knightmares and The Fallen will culminate in Bruce turning to the family for help. “Can Batman be happy?” is obviously the central theme of the run, but I think the underlying current is Bruce realizing he doesn’t have to be a martyr in his crusade, and that Selina and the family make him stronger. This short lends credence to that theory I think.

(Also: best boy Ace!)

(Also also: I guess Luke is back in purgatory with Harper? lol)
    Helena and Cass definitely meet in Batman and Robin Eternal, since the penultimate action scene was in Spyral, where all the main characters joined Helena to plan their next move...then Mother attacked!

I liked the humor King put in quite a bit - I thought he balanced it quite well, building up to the photograph, and the "Cheese" was simultaneously both hilarious and quite moving.

I do wish that they'd switched Daniel and Jones's art sections.

I hope you're right about where King's going...but we'll have to wait (another 30 issues) to see!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I was trying to make a joke about how as a silent issue you can’t “talk” about it but I clearly botched the joke lol. It was way funnier in my head trust me. Anyway this whole Knightmares arc has been the most extreme in terms of my enjoyment so far. I really loved the Question issue but last issue didn’t really do anything for me.
    don't worry it was actually an amusing joke.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I wouldn’t be surprised if King’s Batman story ends with something similar to what he did in Det 1000.

I thought it was a clever idea to keep it vague regarding who each dialogue box belonged to anytime it cut to the graveyard, kind of had to be a detective yourself to guess the banter and the voices were distinct enough, for the most part, to mostly understand who was who.

Big props for the Joelle Jones sections, they look so different from her usual art I didn't realize it was her at first, but still turned out really well with some excellent shading in it.

Based on all the clues, I'm assuming that this is canon to King's Batman run and seemingly looks to happen near the end of it. We've got Tim and Barbara in their current costumes, Dick and Jason back to normal, and Catwoman both in her current outfit and back with everyone else. Not to mention, the ending with Dick talking about why Batman did it, does reflect the questions King has been asking about his entire run, so this would make complete sense as a part of that conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised if King’s Batman story ends with something similar to what he did in Det 1000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I thought it was a clever idea to keep it vague regarding who each dialogue box belonged to anytime it cut to the graveyard, kind of had to be a detective yourself to guess the banter and the voices were distinct enough, for the most part, to mostly understand who was who.

Big props for the Joelle Jones sections, they look so different from her usual art I didn't realize it was her at first, but still turned out really well with some excellent shading in it.

Based on all the clues, I'm assuming that this is canon to King's Batman run and seemingly looks to happen near the end of it. We've got Tim and Barbara in their current costumes, Dick and Jason back to normal, and Catwoman both in her current outfit and back with everyone else. Not to mention, the ending with Dick talking about why Batman did it, does reflect the questions King has been asking about his entire run, so this would make complete sense as a part of that conclusion.
    It's a very interesting idea. At this point, we have two potentially AU "endings" for King's run, with over a year of the run itself left to go (with the Annual #2 and Tec 1000). And both of them are intensely focused on Batman being able to have a family long term. So...hope!!!!

To quote my very favorite Batfamily member:

It's a very interesting idea. At this point, we have two potentially AU "endings" for King's run, with over a year of the run itself left to go (with the Annual #2 and Tec 1000). And both of them are intensely focused on Batman being able to have a family long term. So...hope!!!!

To quote my very favorite Batfamily member:
    To be fair, the Annual #2 is much more of an "AU alternate ending" than DC#1000, just by nature of it being a far-future story, so of course its not gonna end up being completely accurate and just a possibility, while 1000 takes place in the (relative) present, which King all but confirms here.

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status...34079160692736

And yeah, I do think he is building up to a more "hope" inspired turn for Batman. What makes the most sense to me is after spending the last year pushing everyone away and finding himself sinking to his lowest moment, resulting in Bane taking over everything, it'll be about him trying to right his wrongs and bring his family back together to save everything.