Page 38 of 134 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast

Well, this doesn't sound so great...

https://www.newsarama.com/44612-dc-e...-solicits.html

DC Erases THOMAS WAYNE from BATMAN #70 Cover & Solicits
    By Chris Arrant, Editor
    April 3, 2019 03:18pm ET

DC has informed retailers the cover and story of May 1's Batman #70 is changing. A new Andy Kubert cover has replaced the original Mikel Janin one, and the solicitation has been changed to exclude - among other things - the previous mention of the Flashpoint Batman, a.k.a. Thomas Wayne.

Compare the new solicitation here: "In chapter one of 'The Fall and the Fallen,' Batman escapes his Knightmares only to wind up in a whole other bad dream. He's locked in Arkham Asylum with his worst enemies, and the only way to get out is to fight them all. It's a gladiatorial game of madness and mayhem, all for the amusement of Bane!"

And here is the original "'The Fall and the Fallen' begins! This is the one you’ve been waiting for! Now that Batman has escaped the “Knightmares,” he’s starting to see the forces rallying against him—and that his father from another universe has joined the other side. The Caped Crusader finally digs into the mystery of how Thomas Wayne, a.k.a. the Flashpoint Batman, escaped the collapse of his dimension and ended up in this part of the Multiverse. Get all the answers in this new five-part story paving the way for the next big BATMAN event!"

Pairing an artist like Fornes with Janin on an issue is a crime.

I'd hope that King has a big enough pull at DC at this point that any changes are made by his choice rather than the editors.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Well, this doesn't sound so great...

https://www.newsarama.com/44612-dc-e...-solicits.html

DC Erases THOMAS WAYNE from BATMAN #70 Cover & Solicits
    By Chris Arrant, Editor
    April 3, 2019 03:18pm ET

DC has informed retailers the cover and story of May 1's Batman #70 is changing. A new Andy Kubert cover has replaced the original Mikel Janin one, and the solicitation has been changed to exclude - among other things - the previous mention of the Flashpoint Batman, a.k.a. Thomas Wayne.

Compare the new solicitation here: "In chapter one of 'The Fall and the Fallen,' Batman escapes his Knightmares only to wind up in a whole other bad dream. He's locked in Arkham Asylum with his worst enemies, and the only way to get out is to fight them all. It's a gladiatorial game of madness and mayhem, all for the amusement of Bane!"

And here is the original "'The Fall and the Fallen' begins! This is the one you’ve been waiting for! Now that Batman has escaped the “Knightmares,” he’s starting to see the forces rallying against him—and that his father from another universe has joined the other side. The Caped Crusader finally digs into the mystery of how Thomas Wayne, a.k.a. the Flashpoint Batman, escaped the collapse of his dimension and ended up in this part of the Multiverse. Get all the answers in this new five-part story paving the way for the next big BATMAN event!"
    I wonder if King wants to use Thomas Wayne a little bit later in the arc? This is one the few runs where so I have seen so many last minute changes happen, but I have faith in King writing a intriguing yarn with Bats facing one of his greatest foes

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I wonder if King wants to use Thomas Wayne a little bit later in the arc? This is one the few runs where so I have seen so many last minute changes happen, but I have faith in King writing a intriguing yarn with Bats facing one of his greatest foes
    Maybe he wants to save Thomas for #75?

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Maybe he wants to save Thomas for #75?
    Possibly, maybe to tie in with the Joker movie?

I expect King to say something about this in his Twitter. He usually does when there are concerns
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

To be fair, this isn't the first time his Batman issues ended up getting resolicited, most recently I can remember The Gift and Cold Days were originally solicited with completely different storylines.

Also that original #70 cover has already been resolicited for #73, so it shows this wasn't a last minute decision, so it's nothing to really worry about.

It does seem like maybe his original plan was to start out the arc in the desert with Thomas, but in the process of writing decided it'd make more sense to have him start off still captured by Bane and then end up in the desert with Thomas later.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    To be fair, this isn't the first time his Batman issues ended up getting resolicited, most recently I can remember The Gift and Cold Days were originally solicited with completely different storylines.

Also that original #70 cover has already been resolicited for #73, so it shows this wasn't a last minute decision, so it's nothing to really worry about.

It does seem like maybe his original plan was to start out the arc in the desert with Thomas, but in the process of writing decided it'd make more sense to have him start off still captured by Bane and then end up in the desert with Thomas later.
    That’s great! We can’t know everything that happens behind the curtains, but at least the Thomas Wayne storyline will still be delivered in the main title (I feared a crossover or event going forward that keeps on delaying the answers concerning Flashpoint Batman presence)
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Yeah, I'm quite irritated with these articles about "removing Thomas" - because we knew the cover for 70 was already moved. Now, if they completely scrap the cover, then I'll admit it's a strange occurance, but just moving the cover to a different issue isn't that big a deal.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Yeah, I'm quite irritated with these articles about "removing Thomas" - because we knew the cover for 70 was already moved. Now, if they completely scrap the cover, then I'll admit it's a strange occurance, but just moving the cover to a different issue isn't that big a deal.
    Yea, King has already shown work in progress pages from the issues with Bruce and Thomas in the desert, so we know its gonna happen, just not gonna get all the answers immediately.

Which I think is the smart decision, to show him in Arkham and answering the whole "Knightmares" question before then dealing with the Thomas question afterwards.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

So the theory posted earlier by charliehustle about King deciding to use Thomas a bit later in The Fall and the Fallen was right:

Thomas Wayne is in issue 69, the end of the Knightmares arc. Out in three weeks. We moved issue 70 to issue 73 cause I had a revelation about a thing that had to be done so that 73 would work. Due to my own fallibility, flexibility in storytelling is sometimes sadly necessary.
    https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status...22343212806145
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 04-04-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    So the theory earlier about King deciding to use Thomas a bit later in The Fall and the Fallen was right:

It's so cool when top writers allow us into their process, I wish more writers did this

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    So the theory posted earlier by charliehustle about King deciding to use Thomas a bit later in The Fall and the Fallen was right:

Awesome news - thanks for the heads up!

I'm curious if this writing change is responsible for the delay of #68, and it looks like the delay of #69 as well. I hope the book isn't slipping to 2nd and 4th weeks regularly.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Yea, King has already shown work in progress pages from the issues with Bruce and Thomas in the desert, so we know its gonna happen, just not gonna get all the answers immediately.

Which I think is the smart decision, to show him in Arkham and answering the whole "Knightmares" question before then dealing with the Thomas question afterwards.
    Yeah, it does make more sense this way.