Page 11 of 134 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

I am enjoying the run, I think finally getting Bruce and Selina together is the highlight of the run by far.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I Am Suicide was my gateway drug but it was after I Am Bane that I started thinking about Tom King's Batman as something special in ways that are akin to Dylan or Beckett. I can't give a higher compliment than that.
    Is that Bob Dylan and Samuel Beckett? (I've majored in English twice, but I sadly can't think of another writer named Dylan...gonna be really embarrassed... )

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Well, some positives, this is always one of the first books I read each week, regardless of how I end up feeling about the issues themselves. I honestly really enjoyed the story up till I am Bane.
    For me, it varies. I get all of DC's comics digitally in a lump, so sometimes I read it first out of anticipation. Sometimes I read it last, to enjoy something I know will be well crafted, like a dessert.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I’m preparing to read through King’s run for Batman #50. Are the Preludes to the Wedding something that I should read and meaningfully contribute or should they be skipped like NotMM for a more focused read limited to only King’s work?
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I’m preparing to read through King’s run for Batman #50. Are the Preludes to the Wedding something that I should read and meaningfully contribute or should they be skipped like NotMM for a more focused read limited to only King’s work?
    If you're skipping Night of the Monster Men, then I would skip the Preludes. But I think I Am Gotham leads directly into Night of the Monster Men, so there's a certain sense in reading it as well. (I'm not sure where The Button fits - King claims it's thematically relevant, but I still don't see how important it is to the Batman run.)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    If you're skipping Night of the Monster Men, then I would skip the Preludes. But I think I Am Gotham leads directly into Night of the Monster Men, so there's a certain sense in reading it as well. (I'm not sure where The Button fits - King claims it's thematically relevant, but I still don't see how important it is to the Batman run.)
    Thanks for the response!

With all the mentions of NotMM in both I am Gotham and I am Suicide, it makes sense to read it, but I just really think it sucks. With The Button it obviously seems like Bruce’s meeting with Thomas is part of the inspiring force to cause Bruce to evaluate his life and all, but I’ll prolly skip that too. I’ve read both and neither really merit rereads IMO. I prefer stories told solely by King and stories with a consistent art team.

I enjoyed the Nightwing and Robin Wedding One Shots but don’t know how I feel about picking them all up.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Thanks for the response!

With all the mentions of NotMM in both I am Gotham and I am Suicide, it makes sense to read it, but I just really think it sucks. With The Button it obviously seems like Bruce’s meeting with Thomas is part of the inspiring force to cause Bruce to evaluate his life and all, but I’ll prolly skip that too. I’ve read both and neither really merit rereads IMO. I prefer stories told solely by King and stories with a consistent art team.

I enjoyed the Nightwing and Robin Wedding One Shots but don’t know how I feel about picking them all up.
    I mean...I don't LIKE Night of the Monster Men, but it does seem like part of the run, to me. The Button irritates me more - I like what King did with Batman vs. Zoom, but the story seems so completely pointless - they don't learn anything really new at the end, or achieve anything. (And Fabok is a great artist! His work with King in the Swamp Thing special was pretty great!)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

So.

What does everyone think of NYT spoilers? Things are going to get a LOT more heated around here, aren't they?

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    So.

What does everyone think of NYT spoilers? Things are going to get a LOT more heated around here, aren't they?
    When don't comics become a heated topic? I think we have to wait and see because there is still issue 51 to consider don't know why that issue is being touted maybe Selina will keep the engagement ring at least.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

So.

Wait and see for me.

Mighty Member

We now have old Tom King haters and new Tom King haters. Tom King has united the fandom on a shared hatred. Just like his love of 3x3 Watchmen panels.

EDIT: Done to remove spoilers
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 07-01-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Let's just discuss the spoilers in the spoiler thread for now. No point posting walls of comments with spoiler tags or risking someone accidentally spoiling #50 for people who don't want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Let's just discuss the spoilers in the spoiler thread for now. No point posting walls of comments with spoiler tags or risking someone accidentally spoiling #50 for people who don't want to know.
    Good point, I will edit my post then.

So.

spoilers:
    Not happy, unfortunately. King is clearly up to something in the long game, but I'm pretty bummed that he didn't choose to write something truly new and challenging. It just feels like a copout.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Yes - Wednesday will be here soon enough, sadly.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    spoilers:
    Not happy, unfortunately. King is clearly up to something in the long game, but I'm pretty bummed that he didn't choose to write something truly new and challenging. It just feels like a copout.
    end of spoilers

Yes - Wednesday will be here soon enough, sadly.
    I feel the same way though how do you figure any clues to such a thing?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he