Page 112 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 1999
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    I definitely appreciate this perspective but, like... WHAT are Thomas's motivations, though? They don't seem to add up, to me. Like, I get that he doesn't want Bruce to be Batman, but why and to what end? It's initially presented as — "Don't be Batman. Be happy." — but all of his machinations from #50 onward have been to break Bruce's spirit. So... what is the goal? Make him so miserable so he'll be happy?? Huh??

It's odd, too, because the issue of "The Button" in which Thomas says "Don't be Batman" — that issue isn't even scripted by King! It's so strange for that crossover to arc to cast such a long shadow over the run.
    I think that we really will get some understanding of Thomas's motivations next issue. At least, that's my hope.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Spectacular Member

I definitely appreciate this perspective but, like... WHAT are Thomas's motivations, though? They don't seem to add up, to me. Like, I get that he doesn't want Bruce to be Batman, but why and to what end? It's initially presented as — "Don't be Batman. Be happy." — but all of his machinations from #50 onward have been to break Bruce's spirit. So... what is the goal? Make him so miserable so he'll be happy?? Huh??

It's odd, too, because the issue of "The Button" in which Thomas says "Don't be Batman" — that issue isn't even scripted by King! It's so strange for that crossover to arc to cast such a long shadow over the run.
    I'm hoping next issue we get all the answers we are looking for. From what I see, Thomas wants Bruce to be his ideal son. He wants Bruce to need him. He wants Bruce to not be like him (Batman). He tried to resurrect Martha in the Nain Pit to give him back his "perfect" family. He couldn't understand how Bruce didn't want that too and the extremes he went through to make sure it didn't happen. Thomas could easily view Alfred as a rival and enabler to Bruce's lifestyle. Removing him from the picture is necessary for him to get his son "back." Can't wait to find out how long he's been in this timeline and how long he's been trying to control Bruce's life since then.

We'll most likely get the official answer next week, but my interpretation was that he wanted him to quit being Batman so he can be happy, so when he ends up in the main DCU and finds out he's planning to still be Batman, and proposed to a "common thief", that's not good enough, so he goes to all of these lengths to essentially force him to give up being Batman, so he can "eventually" be happy that way. Thomas is also very clearly deranged and not really in the right of mind, so I can see why someone like this would do all of this to "break the Bat", since he feels its the only way to make him stop.

To me the run is not going to be about happiness for Batman, but happiness for those around him. Flashpoint Batman was surrounded by people who he let down in one way or another. His wife was the Joker. He had no Bat family. His City had completely gone to hell. I don't know for sure what happened with his Alfred or the other typical Batman characters like Gordon, but we could presume it was not good. All because of him being Batman, probably.

The same kind of thing was echoed in the alternative universe we saw in the Gift, where Dick is a raging, gun-toting Batman and pretty much everyone else is miserable.

The lesson here is that the notion of Batman itself is a path that leads to tragedy.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    To me the run is not going to be about happiness for Batman, but happiness for those around him. Flashpoint Batman was surrounded by people who he let down in one way or another. His wife was the Joker. He had no Bat family. His City had completely gone to hell. I don't know for sure what happened with his Alfred or the other typical Batman characters like Gordon, but we could presume it was not good. All because of him being Batman, probably.

The same kind of thing was echoed in the alternative universe we saw in the Gift, where Dick is a raging, gun-toting Batman and pretty much everyone else is miserable.

The lesson here is that the notion of Batman itself is a path that leads to tragedy.
    I hope that's not the case. Because as tragic as Batman is, I think he should be a symbol of hope - and I think King has leaned pretty hard on that as well.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I hope that's not the case. Because as tragic as Batman is, I think he should be a symbol of hope - and I think King has leaned pretty hard on that as well.
    Remember this is just Thomas Wayne's perspective. He sees Batman differently from Bruce, be what I am saying. Bruce absolutely sees himself as a symbol of hope, and that is the true clash with Thomas, who has lost all of his hope.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

So I just restarted re-rereading King's run and I just finished all the way up to "I am Bane"

It's pretty remarkable how much is telegraphed in the early part of the run.

Bane references how he gives nightmare and what he will do to Gotham, I don't know why people say King didn't plan anything out.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    So I just restarted re-rereading King's run and I just finished all the way up to "I am Bane"

Bane references how he gives nightmare and what he will do to Gotham, I don't know why people say King didn't plan anything out.
    Good catch! I forgot that.

I was just chatting about The Brave and the Mold...and I wonder if King was foreshadowing Alfred's death there.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I was just chatting about The Brave and the Mold...and I wonder if King was foreshadowing Alfred's death there.
    I have no doubt, especially when Bruce wanted to know where his parents went and started screaming at Swampy

Incredible Member

I have no doubt, especially when Bruce wanted to know where his parents went and started screaming at Swampy
    I wonder if Bruce will make an exception to his rule and kill Thomas.

That seems very unlikely. I would be very much against it.

Mighty Member

I believe Thomas will end up dead, but probably not by Bruce's hand. Jor El was put back where he belonged - Thomas should be next.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I believe Thomas will end up dead, but probably not by Bruce's hand. Jor El was put back where he belonged - Thomas should be next.
    I could see either Catwoman, Gotham Girl or Bane maybe killing Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I still think he's going to sacrifice himself to resurrect someone.