Page 17 of 134 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    My prediction, Bane will have a stint as Batman.
    Do you mean like how Kraven the Hunter pretended to be Spider-Man during "Kraven's Last Hunt", or something more elaborate?
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Either that or Superior Spider-Manesque run. Would prefer something inspired by KLH. But King has seeded this in his run. Bane doesn't want to break him but replace him and he'll succeed until status quo reverts as usual. Again I could be 100% wrong but that is where I think this run is heading.

Mighty Member

Either that or Superior Spider-Manesque run. Would prefer something inspired by KLH. But King has seeded this in his run. Bane doesn't want to break him but replace him and he'll succeed until status quo reverts as usual. Again I could be 100% wrong but that is where I think this run is heading.
    If that is King's plan, using Hugo Strange in the first arc would make some sense - kind of a wink and a nod to what is to come.

Either that or Superior Spider-Manesque run...
    A Superior Spider-Man type run but with Bane as a faux Batman rather than a body swap is an intriguing concept. I've always felt sad that Nightfall was cut short (reportedly by editorial decree) back in the day. The idea of a brutal Batman should be explored more deeply as it shows why not everyone can or should be the Bat. While Batman is important so is Bruce Wayne the man behind the mask.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-04-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I usually don't like to self-promote, but my review just posted for this issue: http://thebatmanuniverse.net/batman-204/

It's really long, which is why I'm not reposting here, but I may start copy and pasting sections of it here depending on how the conversation goes. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I wanted to say, because I am really personally disappointed, but I do think it's a very powerful issue with some significant structural flaws.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I usually don't like to self-promote, but my review just posted for this issue: http://thebatmanuniverse.net/batman-204/

It's really long, which is why I'm not reposting here, but I may start copy and pasting sections of it here depending on how the conversation goes. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I wanted to say, because I am really personally disappointed, but I do think it's a very powerful issue with some significant structural flaws.
    Intersting review quite well thought out I don't know whether the scene where the Joker attacks the Riddler qualifies as recruiting him for Bane's plan. And Bane must have offered the Joker something really good to make join this. Thomas Wayne though is a puzzler since I can't understand how it happened. Did Bane talk to Eobard Thawne into doing it?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    A Superior Spider-Man type run but with Bane as a faux Batman rather than a body swap is an intriguing concept. I've always felt sad that Nightfall was cut short (reportedly by editorial decree) back in the day. The idea of a brutal Batman should be explored more deeply as it shows why not everyone can or should be the Bat. While Batman is important so is Bruce Wayne the man behind the mask.
    I think I read in an interview with Dixon that Jean Paul was written in such a way that readers could see there was only one Batman, and definitely it wasn't Valley. The problem? They showed this so succesfully, that readers didn't wait long to express their dissatisfaction with the new Batman, so they had to end that period sooner than expected. I liked what they tried to do, some cool stories were written in that period, but Jean Paul as Batman felt very humdrum

Also, Bane as Batman is a good idea, but that can be pulled in a not so cool way, as it happened in Arkham War. Kraven as Spider-Man and Killmonger as Black Panther were great moments of villains playing hero
    Last edited by Chubistian; 07-04-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Incredible Member

I think there is a sort of problem on King's end, but the real blame definitely falls on the overhyping and spoiling, agreed.

What did you like best about the issue? For me, it was Bruce and Alfred, and the parallels, especially the final pages of Bruce and Selina, spoilers:
    jumping off the rooftops in opposite directions.
    end of spoilers My heart almost stopped, it was so beautiful and painful.
    The scene with Bruce and Alfred was well done.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

On a smaller trivial note regarding the final page

spoilers:
    How much time do you suppose has passed since we last saw Gotham Girl? You'd think more of her hair would've grown back by now, unless she's keeping it that way deliberately? :P
    end of spoilers

And another theory I've seen passed around...
    spoilers:
    What if that isn't actually Thomas Wayne's Batman standing there? Presuming Psycho-Pirate still has knowledge of the worlds that once were, perhaps he told Bane about the Flashpoint Earth and Bane had a FP Batman suit made and stuck a random inmate in there to screw with Batman?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 07-04-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    On a smaller trivial note regarding the final page

spoilers:
    How much time do you suppose has passed since we last saw Gotham Girl? You'd think more of her hair would've grown back by now, unless she's keeping it that way deliberately? :P
    end of spoilers
    I thought the same thing. War of Jokes and Riddles took one night to tell, one would assume Super Friends happened pretty quickly after Rules of Engagement, the Booster story took, effectively, no time all, and the Ivy story took 3 days (I think). I suppose it's entirely possible there's been less than a month in comic time since Batman 24.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    And another theory I've seen passed around...
    spoilers:
    What if that isn't actually Thomas Wayne's Batman standing there? Presuming Psycho-Pirate still has knowledge of the worlds that once were, perhaps he told Bane about the Flashpoint Earth and Bane had a FP Batman suit made and stuck a random inmate in there to screw with Batman?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm not sure if it'd be weirder/more inexplicable if it is Flashpoint Thomas Wayne or if it's not. And Psycho Pirate shouldn't know about Flashpoint, I don't think (if you're referring to him remembering the first Crisis) - that's not another Earth, it's a different timeline (which no longer exists). If anyone is involved in bringing TW in, it'd have to be Skeets (I'll have to go read the last chapter of the Booster story again to see if it ended with two Skeets around).
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Vermathrax View Post
    I enjoyed Kings run. I am disappointed in the ending, IF it is how it seems. I really thought several of the story's were well written, some air had problems with. Overall, I can say it was like a great meal, with a very bad dessert.
    We're on issue 50 out of 100. One can't be disappointed by the ending; it's 50 more issues away.

I'm really not a fan of the us of pinups, but I thought the letters themselves, the parallels, and the character interactions between Bruce and Alfred were really, really well done.
    I loved the issue and was blown away by the final page reveal. I found the issue (especially "The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar" bit) painful but I'm not the sort of reader that sees my favorite characters in pain and gets mad at a writer for causing it - insert tongue-sticking-out emoji for every poster that thinks that Brad Meltzer hated and then harmed Sue and Ralph Dibny - rather I honor writers that make me feel something and that's often the result of favored characters' pain.

In a two act play the line before intermission is called the "curtain line." That panel with Bane and Friends was mind-blowing and was about as good a curtain line as I can imagine getting at the end of the 50th issue of a 100 issue run. We're only halfway through and I'm already mourning the end of this series. I don't want to live in a world where King isn't writing Batman. Then again I'm very excited to see his take on the rest of the DCU.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 07-04-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

I've not been this annoyed, irritated or in fact disgusted by a comic since marvels one more day

Not by what happened specifically

But that it came down to a little chat

I'll be dropping all batman stuff for at least the rest of kings run, Coz I ain't paying for 50 more issues of this kind of payoff

DC and he might say it's only half way, but it was promoted and put forward as a big deal

I'm totally gutted by how this was executed

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

My Dudes has anyone commented on the fact that the human versions of Porky, Elmer Fudd, and Bugs is cannon in the DC Universe? That's the real reveal here!

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    My Dudes has anyone commented on the fact that the human versions of Porky, Elmer Fudd, and Bugs is cannon in the DC Universe? That's the real reveal here!
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they are the master minds behind Bane. That’s the ultimate event, Porky beats Batman and the Justice League!!! Batman #100, nuff said!!!!!
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH