Page 18 of 134 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I loved the issue and was blown away by the final page reveal. I found the issue (especially "The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar" bit) painful but I'm not the sort of reader that sees my favorite characters in pain and gets mad at a writer for causing it - insert tongue-sticking-out emoji for every poster that thinks that Brad Meltzer hated and then harmed Sue and Ralph Dibny - rather I honor writers that make me feel something and that's often the result of favored characters' pain.

In a two act play the line before intermission is called the "curtain line." That panel with Bane and Friends was mind-blowing and was about as good a curtain line as I can imagine getting at the end of the 50th issue of a 100 issue run. We're only halfway through and I'm already mourning the end of this series. I don't want to live in a world where King isn't writing Batman. Then again I'm very excited to see his take on the rest of the DCU.
    I agree. This is a midpoint climax, not an end.

That being said, I don't think Meltzer hated the Dibneys, but editorial certainly did. (Grumble grumble torturing Steph to death was UNNECESSARY grumble grumble 2005 editorial grumble grumble).

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    My Dudes has anyone commented on the fact that the human versions of Porky, Elmer Fudd, and Bugs is cannon in the DC Universe? That's the real reveal here!
    They've been canon since the Annual, friend.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I'll be honest, I've enjoyed King's run on Batman A LOT. This build up to the wedding with them visiting Talia and The Joker going crazy about not having an invite to the wedding... Amazing. Issue #49 is a great cap off issue between two characters who think they know Batman best. Again, some of the best writing in the modern era. However... I just can't continue with a writer who didn't have the balls to follow through with something that has been built up to be nothing more than a marketing stunt that has pissed off fans to this extent. King could do his best work in the next 50 issues, but I just can't bring myself to read them.

Quote Originally Posted by themasething View Post
    I'll be honest, I've enjoyed King's run on Batman A LOT. This build up to the wedding with them visiting Talia and The Joker going crazy about not having an invite to the wedding... Amazing. Issue #49 is a great cap off issue between two characters who think they know Batman best. Again, some of the best writing in the modern era. However... I just can't continue with a writer who didn't have the balls to follow through with something that has been built up to be nothing more than a marketing stunt that has pissed off fans to this extent. King could do his best work in the next 50 issues, but I just can't bring myself to read them.
    Understandable, though I hope you'll keep checking this thread to see if you want to come back in a few months.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I agree. This is a midpoint climax, not an end.

That being said, I don't think Meltzer hated the Dibneys, but editorial certainly did. (Grumble grumble torturing Steph to death was UNNECESSARY grumble grumble 2005 editorial grumble grumble).

They've been canon since the Annual, friend.
    Just went back and spotted it! Mind blown

A very helpful fan compiled a list of other times Batman has dealt with a broken engagement. Now, I feel like I've been pretty darn fair to this issue and King so far, but I'm properly irritated with the claim that "we've never seen this before": https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/..._never_before/

A very helpful fan compiled a list of other times Batman has dealt with a broken engagement. Now, I feel like I've been pretty darn fair to this issue and King so far, but I'm properly irritated with the claim that "we've never seen this before": https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/..._never_before/
    King's claim of "Doing things you've never seen before" was always called out as bullshit. King, along with a lot of other publishers and writers, believe that readers have the memory of a goldfish; but thanks to things like hardcore fans and Google, we can call them out on the bullshit a lot easier and quicker.

Understandable, though I hope you'll keep checking this thread to see if you want to come back in a few months.
    I may be back. I'll pull the odd issue off the shelf and flick through it from time to time, but it'll take some pretty damn good apology story to make up for this bad marketing stunt bullshit.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

No it's not new but what would have been new was a marriage that came true I really don't understand what these people are thinking.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I can't understand all this amount of criticism, it seems to me a mass hysterical reaction cause people didn't have what they wanted.
    I like this run more and more, the plot thickens and i like the fact that behind it all there is Bane.
    Bane, finally used as a strategist and not as a mere brute force after so many years.
    We are only halfway through the run so many things will have to be explained and developed. I really don't understand these complaints, everything is possible even the wedding.
    I'm hooked as always with Tom King writing.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    I can't understand all this amount of criticism, it seems to me a mass hysterical reaction cause people didn't have what they wanted.
    I like this run more and more, the plot thickens and i like the fact that behind it all there is Bane.
    Bane, finally used as a strategist and not as a mere brute force after so many years.
    We are only halfway through the run so many things will have to be explained and developed. I really don't understand these complaints, everything is possible even the wedding.
    I'm hooked as always with Tom King writing.
    Marriage is what DC was marketing. So people preordered based on that. People also followed the run because they want to see the marriage happen since the story's been building up to that.
    Then they spoil the marriage is not gonna happen. People are canceling their orders, even though the stores already paid for it.
    This is not just hysteria. People are actually losing money while DC gain a lot because of their false marketing.
    Now after all have been revealed, they're asking to buy another 50 issues so maybe the marriage will be real. Of course, people are angry. Why would they buy another 50 issues for a possibility if DC has proven they outright lie to their customer?

To me personally, it's a sign of how low DC can go for profit, on top of all my problem with them, both in story and out of it.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-05-2018 at 01:35 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    My prediction, Bane will have a stint as Batman.
    Interesting. If the people of Gotham think Batman is the buffest dude around, just wait'll they see the hulking BatBane.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Marriage is what DC was marketing. So people preordered based on that. People also followed the run because they want to see the marriage happen since the story's been building up to that.
    Then they spoil the marriage is not gonna happen. People are canceling their orders, even though the stores already paid for it.
    This is not just hysteria. People are actually losing money while DC gain a lot because of their false marketing.
    Now after all have been revealed, they're asking to buy another 50 issues so maybe the marriage will be real. Of course, people are angry. Why would they buy another 50 issues for a possibility if DC has proven they outright lie to their customer?

To me personally, it's a sign of how low DC can go for profit, on top of all my problem with them, both in story and out of it.
    I'm sorry, but i still think it's hysteria cause you haven't what you wanted.
    Loosing money? reading a good comic it's never a loss of money.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Bendis will take over at some point anyways. (snarky remark)

I'm sorry, but i still think it's hysteria cause you haven't what you wanted.
    Loosing money? reading a good comic it's never a loss of money.
    Did you skip the part about the stores?

Comics are entertainment, and people want different things. If the reason people are interested is because of the marriage then it's not weird that they refuse to buy it.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-05-2018 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Did you skip the part about the stores?

Comics are entertainment, and people want different things. If the reason people are interested is because of the marriage then it's not weird that they refuse to buy it.
    It was marketing? Yes
    was there marriage? No
    has it been a number of quality with so many great artists and with a well-written story that contains everything that has happened in the past and that prepares the bases for the sequel? Yes

All i care is reading good comic, and if DC uses marketing to have new customers I don't find anything new or unusual.
    The issue is quality and this is the only thing that matters. If you complain is because the story did not go as you wanted, but then you know how many complaints I have to do?

It was marketing? Yes
    was there marriage? No
    has it been a number of quality with so many great artists and with a well-written story that contains everything that has happened in the past and that prepares the bases for the sequel? Yes

All i care is reading good comic, and if DC uses marketing to have new customers I don't find anything new or unusual.
    The issue is quality and this is the only thing that matters. If you complain is because the story did not go as you wanted, but then you know how many complaints I have to do?
    Exactly. You. But what you asked isn't about you, it's about other people. So I'm answering what those other people's problem with it. You decided to stay with DC despite your complaint, because that's your decision. They don't. That's their decision.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-05-2018 at 02:19 AM.