Page 21 of 134 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

IT was slighttly difficult to guage what was being presented in this issue me and my slow mind. But I did like how King contrasted Selina and Bruce very nicely as well why they wear different types of masks but I can see why people woudl get put off by it as no one really gives any attention to the masks superheroes wear.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Agreed. I liked the idea of Batman being in the wrong with Bane in "I Am Bane." But I think that there's a pleasure in seeing a bigger plan now. And it's possible that this was a contingency, and he really didn't intend to take it this far unless Bat invaded Santa Prisca.
    I think we're supposed to see Batman as wrong in "I Am Bane" — even before the twist, it's clear that Batman is single-minded in his pursuit for a goal that serves him and the people close to him, but it's a plan to actively screw over someone else.

Batman is viewing the situation as a zero-sum game, whereas, perhaps there could've been a peaceful resolution. Couldn't he have just requested the Pirate from Bane in exchange for, i dunno, money or resources of some kind? Could he not have brought Gotham Girl with him for rehab in Santa Prisca?

Bane was more than willing to let Batman enjoy the therapeutic effects of Psycho Pirate in "I Am Suicide." Did he even try asking??

But anyway, I don't think Bane was plotting the marriage the whole time. That quite clearly came after "I Am Bane." Batman took Pirate from Bane, so Bane takes Catwoman from Batman.

It only "works" because it connects back to the earlier storyline, but it doesn't actually "work" on the level of making practical sense on any level.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    Maybe.

Although, didn't Morrison's run already do this, and better?
    I thought JBatmanFan was arguing that Morrison's run was not about misery driving Batman? That he was zen or something?

I think we're supposed to see Batman as wrong in "I Am Bane" — even before the twist, it's clear that Batman is single-minded in his pursuit for a goal that serves him and the people close to him, but it's a plan to actively screw over someone else.

Batman is viewing the situation as a zero-sum game, whereas, perhaps there could've been a peaceful resolution. Couldn't he have just requested the Pirate from Bane in exchange for, i dunno, money or resources of some kind? Could he not have brought Gotham Girl with him for rehab in Santa Prisca?

Bane was more than willing to let Batman enjoy the therapeutic effects of Psycho Pirate in "I Am Suicide." Did he even try asking??

But anyway, I don't think Bane was plotting the marriage the whole time. That quite clearly came after "I Am Bane." Batman took Pirate from Bane, so Bane takes Catwoman from Batman.

It only "works" because it connects back to the earlier storyline, but it doesn't actually "work" on the level of making practical sense on any level.
    I agree - the question I have is: did Bane intend to drive Batman to act wrongly in I Am Suicide, or was this all just his contingency plan in case Batman decided to do the wrong thing? I agree that there were non-suicidal (pun intended) plans that Batman could have done to get Gotham Girl the help she needed from Psycho Pirate (though not if he intended to destroy Pyscho Pirate's mask). I think both are very interesting - and considering that it seems clear that Bane's plan at least involved the Monster Men (with Strange), Gotham and Gotham Girl, the plan clearly stretches further than just the end of I Am Suicide.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Mmmh. No.

It's not the event most people expected, but it's not a low-budget B-movie instead of a blockbuster, either. The art is stellar and the prose is good, and sometimes very good.

It's certainly got skill sure

It's one of the most skillfully crafted emotional and fiscal conjoin I've been taken in by

Imo this was a huge jumping the shark in regards to being played for emotional investment into these characters and writer

The build up, and more importantly the promotion promised much and deliver a skillfully crafted lump of something else

I won't be disappointed by this writer with these characters again, the story is too long winded at dozens of issue for that time or money

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Yes. I love Gerads, he’s one of my favorite artists right now, but that foot wasn’t a very good foot. If I were to have another nitpick it would be that one panel of Tim Sale’s page has Batman looking like a deflated blowup doll. Oh, and Finches’ page is just all kinds of terrible. I don’t know how anyone can be a fan of that dude. Oh, oh, and Jorge Jimenez not getting a page is blasphemy. Best ongoing artist at DC right now.

Other than that I thought this was a stellar issue. A lot of touching moments. I’m down with them getting married, or not. Them not getting hitched doesn’t take away my enjoyment of King’s run, and it doesn’t makes me think that all the issues before it are a waste just because they didn’t get married.
    Finch basically re-did his last page of Batman #24 and I can’t say I’m a fan of that particular drawn. I’ve enjoyed David Finch in Rebirth, he still has some weird panels and faces, but I think he has been better than in works such as Forever Evil or Dark Knight. And yes, I completely agree about that panel from Tim Sale and what you said about the wedding
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Mighty Member

I thought JBatmanFan was arguing that Morrison's run was not about misery driving Batman? That he was zen or something?

I agree - the question I have is: did Bane intend to drive Batman to act wrongly in I Am Suicide, or was this all just his contingency plan in case Batman decided to do the wrong thing? I agree that there were non-suicidal (pun intended) plans that Batman could have done to get Gotham Girl the help she needed from Psycho Pirate (though not if he intended to destroy Pyscho Pirate's mask). I think both are very interesting - and considering that it seems clear that Bane's plan at least involved the Monster Men (with Strange), Gotham and Gotham Girl, the plan clearly stretches further than just the end of I Am Suicide.
    If Bane already had Ventriloquist in the fold (a fact which is not yet in evidence), it wouldn't be so much that Bane pre-planned for Batman's attack on Santa Prisca as Bane was given the plan and acted accordingly. And I think you kind of have to read it that way at the moment (in the absence of more story) for the plot to hang together. Gotham Girl being in the fold suggest either (a) she was in on it from the start (before I am Gotham) or (b) Psycho Pirate somehow turned her while he was healing her. If (a), then Bane was planning on a confrontation in Santa Prisca from the beginning by expatriating PP back. If (b), PP had to know what Bane wanted him to do to Gotham Girl before he was taken away by Batman and squad (Psycho Pirate actually being the mastermind is a different set of if-thens that'll get you to a similar place, I think).

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    If Bane already had Ventriloquist in the fold (a fact which is not yet in evidence), it wouldn't be so much that Bane pre-planned for Batman's attack on Santa Prisca as Bane was given the plan and acted accordingly. And I think you kind of have to read it that way at the moment (in the absence of more story) for the plot to hang together. Gotham Girl being in the fold suggest either (a) she was in on it from the start (before I am Gotham) or (b) Psycho Pirate somehow turned her while he was healing her. If (a), then Bane was planning on a confrontation in Santa Prisca from the beginning by expatriating PP back. If (b), PP had to know what Bane wanted him to do to Gotham Girl before he was taken away by Batman and squad (Psycho Pirate actually being the mastermind is a different set of if-thens that'll get you to a similar place, I think).
    Given that Pyscho Pirate is almost certainly going to die in Heroes in Crisis, I don't think that's likely he'll be revealed as a mastermind.

All of this speculation is why I hope King doesn't just do Batman as usual in #51.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Mighty Member

Given that Pyscho Pirate is almost certainly going to die in Heroes in Crisis, I don't think that's likely he'll be revealed as a mastermind.

All of this speculation is why I hope King doesn't just do Batman as usual in #51.
    Depends on where Heroes in Crisis falls compared to the Batman plot. For example (warning: not a professional comic writer), Batman 54 (to pick an upcoming issue) could have Pirate reveal he's been manipulating Bane to manipulate Batman, Bane overhears this and whups him, then Pirate ends up in Sanctuary and Bane continues along, annoyed but re-motivated (this would be not entirely unlike the last two issues of Batman Eternal). If Pirate is involved in the HiC plot, he'll have to move on from Team Bane some way or another.

-----------------------------

I can kind of squint and see how Skeets is involved (a different Bruce Wayne shot him multiple times and killed one of the two Boosters; he's mad about the events of Return of Bruce Wayne #6) and Gotham Girl makes *some* sense (Psycho Pirate manipulation, she was always in on it as the price for her powers*), but Flashpoint Batman confuses the heck out of me (either if it is FP Thomas Wayne or an as-yet unnamed person wearing the gear to screw with Bruce). How Bane knows (Skeets? Secret multiversal recorders in the Batcave? Bane is actually The Comedian?) about him, to start, but also why he'd be involved seems like we'll need some mental gymnastics to resolve.

*Gotham and Gotham Girl being in on it from the start and GG still being around might suggest that they wanted their parents killed, which would follow along thematically with the evil kid one-off between the two Super Friends arcs, wherein we see characters thinking they want what Bruce has (which was also one of the plot points in Hush) - Gotham and Gotham Girl, evil kid, Hugo Strange, even Bane, whose original raison d'etre was "I want what Batman has," would all be displaying some form of Bat-envy.

Empty is thy hand!

Maybe.

Although, didn't Morrison's run already do this, and better?
    Yep. And he also commented on the banality of repeating themes/stories like Snyder and King have lazily pulled. He also lamented on the fact that Batman is trapped in tragedy, and he easily predicted that this **** would continue. Until DC stops limiting Batman to a status quo and hires a writer that actually cares about moving the character forward, a retread of more of the same is what you'll get.

I doubt GG was a double agent from the beginning, because we have that text in issue #5, that is her talking about how the death of Batman started at that point and that she was responsible. And in this future she’s married to Duke, so she’s a “good girl” again, so her evil self would most probably be PP’s doing. Of course, this is pure speculation. I love how many possibilities the twist from #50 opens.

In #51 we will have Batman being over aggressive thanks to grief, classic Dark Knight after being dumped or the death of one of his protégés haha But I bet King will surprise us with something. Every time I think I know what his story is going to be about, he does a twist or does the story in a way that I didn’t expect
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I doubt GG was a double agent from the beginning, because we have that text in issue #5, that is her talking about how the death of Batman started at that point and that she was responsible. And in this future she’s married to Duke, so she’s a “good girl” again, so her evil self would most probably be PP’s doing. Of course, this is pure speculation. I love how many possibilities the twist from #50 opens.

In #51 we will have Batman being over aggressive thanks to grief, classic Dark Knight after being dumped or the death of one of his protégés haha But I bet King will surprise us with something. Every time I think I know what his story is going to be about, he does a twist or does the story in a way that I didn’t expect
    I think Gotham Girl is a really interesting case. Because the way she's standing in #50 is very aware, very knowing, seemingly like she's an active participant. But nothing in her so far has indicated that level of malice or evil. It would make a lot more sense to me if she's fairly seriously manipulated through her powers (which I think Bane likely had developed through his science arm at Santa Prisca, or funded), or Psycho Pirate, or both.

I did think this was a very well done twist - I just hope that it's not a twist left hanging. It needs development.

Based on the cover? I think that is likely a sanctuary worker given the characters wearing similar masks and white robes in the background.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Based on the cover? I think that is likely a sanctuary worker given the characters wearing similar masks and white robes in the background.
    I mean, you could be right. But I'm not the only one who thinks the Pirate's going to walk the plank.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

http://ew.com/books/2018/07/13/batma...s-crisis-more/

A new King interview about his plans #51 + 52 and beyond, with some preview art for #51 and #52. He also talks about his plans for Heroes in Crisis and the next issue of Mister Miracle.

He doesn't mention Kite-Man in the list of future villains to expect, but I'm hedging my bets and guessing that somehow Charlie Brown will play a role in Batman's final defeat of Bane and him reconciling with Catwoman. :P

On a side note, it seems that Lee Weeks is doing his best to make the Rebirth costume look like a more traditional Batsuit as closely as he can.
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 07-13-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    http://ew.com/books/2018/07/13/batma...s-crisis-more/

A new King interview about his plans #51 + 52 and beyond, with some preview art for #51 and #52. He also talks about his plans for Heroes in Crisis and the next issue of Mister Miracle.

He doesn't mention Kite-Man in the list of future villains to expect, but I'm hedging my bets and guessing that somehow Charlie Brown will play a role in Batman's final defeat of Bane and him reconciling with Catwoman. :P

On a side note, it seems that Lee Weeks is doing his best to make the Rebirth costume look like a more traditional Batsuit as closely as he can.
    I think you're right - Kite Man was there at the beginning (War of Jokes and Riddles), reunion (Rooftops), abortive wedding - I think there's something King's doing that's more than a joke. Maybe it's a riddle.

And MAN, does Weeks and Breitweister's art look amazing.