Page 47 of 134 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    If that is the case then they can just use the Spyral spy satellite to make the world forget about Bruce's identity being exposed just like they did when Dick's got exposed to the world, lol.

I found the interview so grating. King feels really full of himself and it bothered me how he and he interviewer ignored him shooting Dick in the head. Zero mention of it. If I had to guess I think that someone else will be taking over for Batman given that is what King has been trying to set up for a while. He used to want it to be Duke to take up the Batman mantle. Would become the first black Batman and I can see him getting the higher ups permission for that, but I have no idea.

Him marrying Selena or her being pregnant I think will be revealed later and closer to issue 100 if anything. So I feels like it should be something else here.
    I would hope DC wouldn't use the same plot device twice, but who am I kidding? It's DC!

It's funny you say that King feels full of himself - it seems the opposite to me. It seems like he's really focused on gratitude to the fans who are enjoying his work, and giving them worthwhile stories. Maybe that's just because I've listened to podcasts where he says these things, as well as met him at cons, and I hear his inflections in those sentences that feel genuine.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Issue 71 made an interesting choice...

Not quite sure what I think to be honest.

BANNED

then I look up and he is......
    gone? funniest panel I have read in a long time in the bat books.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I would hope DC wouldn't use the same plot device twice, but who am I kidding? It's DC!

It's funny you say that King feels full of himself - it seems the opposite to me. It seems like he's really focused on gratitude to the fans who are enjoying his work, and giving them worthwhile stories. Maybe that's just because I've listened to podcasts where he says these things, as well as met him at cons, and I hear his inflections in those sentences that feel genuine.
    I've listened to podcast and interviews for a long time since he first started writing Grayson. I'm not saying he is a dick or anything, or not nice to fans, but I guess I find the "full of himself" here from the idea in how he wants to do something that no one has ever done before, which I think is impossible today, or do something that changes Batman for 15 years. Even having to say he went to the top of WB management to do it. Feels a bit self inflating. A Snyder or a Morrison never really commented like that from what I remember. I think he relies on gimmicks and shock value way too much in his big stories, like with Batman or his event stories. I believe he has been given the longest Batman run before ever stepping on the title in decades, so it probably would cause someone to feel like they are above certain things. In smaller more self contained books he can actually write more within himself and it his style works better and he isn't trying to artificially inflate his work as much, but I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I've listened to podcast and interviews for a long time since he first started writing Grayson. I'm not saying he is a dick or anything, or not nice to fans, but I guess I find the "full of himself" here from the idea in how he wants to do something that no one has ever done before, which I think is impossible today, or do something that changes Batman for 15 years. Even having to say he went to the top of WB management to do it. Feels a bit self inflating. A Snyder or a Morrison never really commented like that from what I remember. I think he relies on gimmicks and shock value way too much in his big stories, like with Batman or his event stories. I believe he has been given the longest Batman run before ever stepping on the title in decades, so it probably would cause someone to feel like they are above certain things. In smaller more self contained books he can actually write more within himself and it his style works better and he isn't trying to artificially inflate his work as much, but I dunno.
    I think the interesting thing, to me, about what King has been doing is that none of it really has long term impacts on the character so far. The Bane plot is deliberately a reworking of Knightfall, the Catwoman plot is something King has himself shown to be part of the 80 year tapestry of Batman (issue #44, 69), and the characters he's created like Gotham Girl are clearly not long term characters (at least, it seems to me they are clearly not). And I think he knows this, though him thinking that a heartbroken Batman after #50 was something we haven't seen before does put a slight hole in my theory.

But I think King really is trying to build to something new and different. I've said it before - I think the sheer length and speed of this Batman run doesn't work with King's strengths as a writer - the ability to construct significant but limited stories, like a jewel carefully cut over 12 issues - but I think he's been finding his stride in 50-75. I hope that it's not artificial inflation, but we shall see. I've been really on board from Cold Days to Knightmares, and so far, The Fall and the Fallen has been powerful, if quite confusing, as well.

We know Bane's been gaslighting Batman from The Tyrant Wing, somehow convincing everyone that he's a dumb, good person now - even in a coma. Has he really corrupted Alfred?

It's quite gripping, I think.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Gotta say, Dick saying no because it’s “not who he is anymore” doesn’t really work for me since he currently leads a band of imposters in Blud.

Was nice to see King bring in the rest of the family again though, even if it won’t last long.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Gotta say, Dick saying no because it’s “not who he is anymore” doesn’t really work for me since he currently leads a band of imposters in Blud.

Was nice to see King bring in the rest of the family again though, even if it won’t last long.
    It felt very much like the scene in Bruce Wayne, Murderer, to me, only now Tim has the Nightwing role. I appreciated it, even as I felt very sad for everyone.

I understand Tom King's decompression, having to deal with a bi-weekly title for so long. I think he's the only one from the Rebirth iniciative that has spent so long in the same title with that schedule.

About the issue, I can finally see how far Bane has gone in his plan to break Batman. Now Batman is truly alone. In I Am Bane he refused to call the Justice League. Now, he calls his family but everything points out to him "losing" them. The only team that has worked out was Catwoman, and that one was too put to rest thanks to Bane. Not even Alfred is on his side.

I expected more Thomas Wayne, mostly because of the cover and his performance in the last issue of Knightmares, but I guess we will have a lot from him in #73. I don't know how the two parts of the book fit in a timeline (the reunion with the batfamily and the confrontation with Bane and Thomas in the manor) but it fits Bruce current state of mind, where things get confused and he can't be sure what's real

I liked the combination of Janín and Fornes, dealing with differents part of the story that don't mix. Janín is great with those more "spectacular" moments with the whole Batfamily together (well, missing a few members), while Fornes does a great work with a more somber scene. I really dig Fornes pencils in Batman, because he reminds me of a time when the character was more believable as a man in a costume that could be killed by a bullet and could have troubles going on against goons. Though I'm open to other interpretations of the character, such as the one by Morrison or the one by Snyder, both runs that I loved, my favorite Batman is one closer to what O'neil or Englehart did so many years ago
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I understand Tom King's decompression, having to deal with a bi-weekly title for so long. I think he's the only one from the Rebirth iniciative that has spent so long in the same title with that schedule.

About the issue, I can finally see how far Bane has gone in his plan to break Batman. Now Batman is truly alone. In I Am Bane he refused to call the Justice League. Now, he calls his family but everything points out to him "losing" them. The only team that has worked out was Catwoman, and that one was too put to rest thanks to Bane. Not even Alfred is on his side.

I expected more Thomas Wayne, mostly because of the cover and his performance in the last issue of Knightmares, but I guess we will have a lot from him in #73. I don't know how the two parts of the book fit in a timeline (the reunion with the batfamily and the confrontation with Bane and Thomas in the manor) but it fits Bruce current state of mind, where things get confused and he can't be sure what's real

I liked the combination of Janín and Fornes, dealing with differents part of the story that don't mix. Janín is great with those more "spectacular" moments with the whole Batfamily together (well, missing a few members), while Fornes does a great work with a more somber scene. I really dig Fornes pencils in Batman, because he reminds me of a time when the character was more believable as a man in a costume that could be killed by a bullet and could have troubles going on against goons. Though I'm open to other interpretations of the character, such as the one by Morrison or the one by Snyder, both runs that I loved, my favorite Batman is one closer to what O'neil or Englehart did so many years ago
    Regarding the timeline...part of me wants to say there's still something weird going on with reality, but part of me wants to interpret that first Batman called the Batfamily (or maybe Thomas called the Batfamily), and after Bruce punched Tim, he went back home, and that's when Bane confronted him. It's still very surreal and dreamlike, I think.

Great point about Fornes - and Weeks, I would say. They both draw a powerful Batman, but they don't sculpt him the same way Janin, Daniel, or even Joelle Jones does.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Anyone just think of this meme when reaching the last page of this issue?

I think that was actually very deliberate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Anyone just think of this meme when reaching the last page of this issue?
    Yeah, I thought about it haha. A new template for that meme
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Regarding the timeline...part of me wants to say there's still something weird going on with reality, but part of me wants to interpret that first Batman called the Batfamily (or maybe Thomas called the Batfamily), and after Bruce punched Tim, he went back home, and that's when Bane confronted him. It's still very surreal and dreamlike, I think.

Great point about Fornes - and Weeks, I would say. They both draw a powerful Batman, but they don't sculpt him the same way Janin, Daniel, or even Joelle Jones does.
    I had the same reasoning about the chronological order of things. Yes, Weeks too. I think the Mazzucchelli influences help a lot in that aspect

Seeing the Batfamily together always makes me happy...but the circumstances could have definitively better...

On a side note, is anyone else getting tired of reading "I'm going to break your damn back"? King sure does love his repetition XD

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Seeing the Batfamily together always makes me happy...but the circumstances could have definitively better...

On a side note, is anyone else getting tired of reading "I'm going to break your damn back"? King sure does love his repetition XD
    That is not my favorite of King's lines, certainly.

I thought the issue was really good, though as I said, surreal.