Page 54 of 134 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

He's been kinda quiet on twitter for the last day, so I wonder if this is true.

It just is so horrible for all the fans who were promised an ending after all this time, and him doing these interviews literally days ago about this! I feel worse for them than for myself, at least I only got into it recently. I can go back to not caring pretty quickly and not investing so much into this.

Man, he really should have let them get married in 50.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    He's been kinda quiet on twitter for the last day, so I wonder if this is true.

It just is so horrible for all the fans who were promised an ending after all this time, and him doing these interviews literally days ago about this! I feel worse for them than for myself, at least I only got into it recently. I can go back to not caring pretty quickly and not investing so much into this.

Man, he really should have let them get married in 50.
    I mean. I still think he should have been telling the story of Batman and Catwoman married in 50. But that isn't the story he was telling, so it does make sense, at this point, that he didn't.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Like, what precedent does this set if true?

Will Bendis get to finish his story? G. Willow Wilson? Kelly Sue? Snyder?

What's the point of getting invested in long form storytelling if it can nipped in the bud at any given moment?

Well yeah, it probably means no marriage after all.

Also, why on earth did they let him hype this up in the news just DAYS ago if it wasn't going to be allowed to happen?
    My guess is that he did that himself. He hyped the news about the big change up. He didn't have to. No other writer does these self/run promos that King likes to do with Batman.

I doubt DC had much to do with the King hype machine.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    My guess is that he did that himself. He hyped the news about the big change up. He didn't have to. No other writer does these self/run promos that King likes to do with Batman.

That's not how DC works. Based on how interviews for the site I've written for have gone, DC tends to vet everything that's published.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

Which is why this is even more nuts if true.

They need to tell us what the change was that they changed their mind on. And not letting him finish after all this time? That is just SO wrong. And such a terrible thing to do to the readers.

DC had everything to do with the hype surrounding issue 50 though. If you don't think DC is involved with the hype, you're crazy. He commented quite a bit around the fallout from issue 50 about how the hype and promo stuff was out of his control and that he felt bad about the way it was hyped versus the actual story arc.

I hope they let him finish. Not every comic book run is going to please everyone....and this one has been divisive, no doubt. I have enjoyed it. I never thought they'd marry at issue 50 to begin with though...and didn't care if they did or not. I like what he's done for the most part (not every single beat has worked, but overall, it's been a good run by King).

BANNED

I genuinely just got into comics because I wanted to see Batman and Catwoman get married and I became convinced based on his own words that this would happen.

I'm so disappointed. I'll just bow out altogether if this whole thing goes down in the dumps.
    At least Tom got to wrote that annual where they'd grown old together...sure it ended with Bruce dying, but they were happy. I prefer that as the future as opposed to Batman Beyond. Just a shame we may never know if it was intended to be the endgame future now.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post

What's the point of getting invested in long form storytelling if it can nipped in the bud at any given moment?
    Writers get pulled off all of the time, if I remember correctly Percy was pulled off his run of Nightwing.

Nevertheless, if true, too bad King will not be able to tell the story he set out to tell. You can really tell he had a long term plan, then again, Batman is a corporate character and if the higher-ups ain't liking it he's gone.

This is why more and more top tier writers do creator owned projects.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    That's not how DC works. Based on how interviews for the site I've written for have gone, DC tends to vet everything that's published.
    vetting isn't the same as agreeing to interviews or constant tweets promoting up coming bits. DC vets the Interviews he gives but do they give him a quota or say don't do interviews don't do so much promo on your twitter feed? Like this big change coming up that he asked WB permission for, there was no need to tell the readers about it but he choose to.

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    DC had everything to do with the hype surrounding issue 50 though. If you don't think DC is involved with the hype, you're crazy. He commented quite a bit around the fallout from issue 50 about how the hype and promo stuff was out of his control and that he felt bad about the way it was hyped versus the actual story arc.

I hope they let him finish. Not every comic book run is going to please everyone....and this one has been divisive, no doubt. I have enjoyed it. I never thought they'd marry at issue 50 to begin with though...and didn't care if they did or not. I like what he's done for the most part (not every single beat has worked, but overall, it's been a good run by King).
    I wasn't talking about the wedding/50. I'm talking in general. his constant tweets. The promo's whenever the bat family is going to be in his run.His last big announcements. Thing's like that.

It has been hit and miss for me. I too never believed they would marry at 50 even now I don't think he has any plans to marry them.
    Honestly my main objection with King's run is that I feel he is deliberately stringing Shippers along. Asking them to invest so much in the hopes that they will get a payoff at the end.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I know sales have been down since #50. But they don't seem like they're down beyond what I'd expect from normal attrition.

It's a bit outside of the scope of this thread, but I do agree that DC seems to have bet a LOT on Bendis, and while he's selling solidly, he's not doing anything particularly spectacular, which is a problem when they've given him basically a fifth to a fourth of their total titles to write directly or control. (A move which, while I like Bendis quite a bit, I would not have thought was wise, but was likely a condition of them poaching from Marvel.)

I know exactly what would prompt me to leave DC again (I did it in 2012 with the n52), and it's the same reason now as then: killing or erasing Steph. But this would definitely loosen my brand loyalty a lot.
    I think it's probably mostly standard attrition, but it's not hard to find people who didn't like Knightmares, or raged about the wedding switch up, and there hasn't been an issue or arc that's been as acclaimed as Super Friends recently to kind of counter that and remind people to come back to the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post

Honestly, people leaving mid-run (for a variety of reasons) is not uncommon (Roger Stern on ASM, Peter David on ASM) and there have been a number of "well, the company is changing directions so I'll leave" moments, too (Morrison's end on Batman Inc, JMS on Thor). That's not to say we should be happy with it or not voice an opinion about it, but it's hardly an unprecedented action.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Incredible Member

I wasn't talking about the wedding/50. I'm talking in general. his constant tweets. The promo's whenever the bat family is going to be in his run.His last big announcements. Thing's like that.

It has been hit and miss for me. I too never believed they would marry at 50 even now I don't think he has any plans to marry them.
    Honestly my main objection with King's run is that I feel he is deliberately stringing Shippers along. Asking them to invest so much in the hopes that they will get a payoff at the end.
    If they don't let him finish then there's no possibility for the payoff, even. That's a terrible thing to do to the readers after all this time.

Incredible Member

He just tweeted kinda cryptically, so I think it's true.

This sucks.

BANNED