Page 61 of 134 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I'll take the loss of 8 issues over the loss of 20. And Clay Mann is a huge bonus. Maybe the page count will be a little higher? Regardless, I'm passing happy.
    True, though I am slightly disappointed its supposedly JUST going to be him and Clay Mann. His art is great obviously, but I really loved his rotating list of artists, so no more Fornes, Weeks, Finch, Jones (tho she'll still be on Catwoman), etc. is sad, but still looks to be really special.

Also since they have a Batman Annual every December, I wonder if he'll also write that one, which will act as the transition between 85 and Bat/Cat book, because then *technically* he would have his 100 issues. (Annual 1, 2, 4, Rebirth, Secret Files #1, DC Nation #0, Elmer Fudd Special, Detective Comics #1000)

Great news! Sure, some issues are "lost" if we are fixated in the #100th mark, but I do think he can make wonders with a 12 issues maxiseries and in a monthly schedule. And with annuals and specials he does arrive to 100th anyways or doesn't he?

EDIT: Oops, I think he is still some issues behind the 100th mark, but that could change with other specials down the way. I know it's not the same as having 100th issues in the main title telling one long story, that it was what he wanted to do
    Last edited by Chubistian; 05-24-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    True, though I am slightly disappointed its supposedly JUST going to be him and Clay Mann. His art is great obviously, but I really loved his rotating list of artists, so no more Fornes, Weeks, Finch, Jones (tho she'll still be on Catwoman), etc. is sad, but still looks to be really special.

Also since they have a Batman Annual every December, I wonder if he'll also write that one, which will act as the transition between 85 and Bat/Cat book, because then *technically* he would have his 100 issues. (Annual 1, 2, 4, Rebirth, Secret Files #1, DC Nation #0, Elmer Fudd Special, Detective Comics #1000)
    I'm sad about losing Fornes and Weeks, but I have no doubt that King will try to find projects to work on with them again. And of the artists he had on the book, Mann and Fornes are my favorites, and Fornes doesn't have the same personal link to King that Mann does.

Also, nice catch on the numbering! We'll have to wait and see on that!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I wonder if we'll still get an issue of Batman and Kite-Man having a chat about the crazy events of the run, and if it'll happen in #85 or at the end of Batman & Catwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    I wonder if we'll still get an issue of Batman and Kite-Man having a chat about the crazy events of the run, and if it'll happen in #85 or at the end of Batman & Catwoman.
    I kind of hope that it's in 85. I want Bat and Cat to be the whole focus of that issue. Or maybe we'll get a Batman Annual or secret file or something.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I've had King's Batman run on my mind all day, and I've got a theory on what's going on with Batman and Bane, and it involves that picture of Bane on his throne under Arkham: What if Skeets created two parallel-running timelines, but only Bruce and Bane were actually aware of it? Like on one hand we have Bane unconscious in Arkham with a paranoid Batman bent on proving that Bane is behind all of his misfortunes, and the other where the more complacent Batman with a Bane that is currently in Wayne Manor with Flashpoint Thomas Wayne? It would explain why all of the evidence contradicts Bruce's experiences, because the evidence isn't in that timeline. Certain things stay fixed in both timelines (for simplicity, lets say that every book besides Batman is on one single path, the Bane-is-unconscious path), and then at the right time, Skeets with cut the City of Bane timeline into the Bane is Unconscious timeline?
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Westbats View Post
    I've had King's Batman run on my mind all day, and I've got a theory on what's going on with Batman and Bane, and it involves that picture of Bane on his throne under Arkham: What if Skeets created two parallel-running timelines, but only Bruce and Bane were actually aware of it? Like on one hand we have Bane unconscious in Arkham with a paranoid Batman bent on proving that Bane is behind all of his misfortunes, and the other where the more complacent Batman with a Bane that is currently in Wayne Manor with Flashpoint Thomas Wayne? It would explain why all of the evidence contradicts Bruce's experiences, because the evidence isn't in that timeline. Certain things stay fixed in both timelines (for simplicity, lets say that every book besides Batman is on one single path, the Bane-is-unconscious path), and then at the right time, Skeets with cut the City of Bane timeline into the Bane is Unconscious timeline?
    That is a very interesting possibility, though in the most recent issue, and King confirmed this on Twitter, that Bruce and the Batfamily breaking into Arkham happens early in the day, and then later that night is when Bane and Thomas break into Wayne Manor. So I don't think that would necessarily be alternate timelines.

Also, there's the scene in The Tyrant Wing when Batman is beating up the seemingly comatose Bane, before the issue ends with Bane doing his evil smile, which I thought is meant to imply it is in fact him, he's just being a really good actor.

This might be a pure WAG, but from my limited read of King's stories, one possible theme for his storytelling is exploring masculinity, and what it means today. And by masculinity, it's not the hyper-masculinity that informs most classic superheroes, but rather when there is a disconnect between a character and the perceived image of masculinity.

Seen in that light, mental health breakdown and Catwoman's rejection are both two sides of the same coin: exploring what happens when a masculine image cracks and is challenged.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

No, you’re right on the money, kjn! ����

At least that’s how I read it. I also think that’s why it draws so much ire, but that’s a whole can of worms I don’t wanna open lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    This might be a pure WAG, but from my limited read of King's stories, one possible theme for his storytelling is exploring masculinity, and what it means today. And by masculinity, it's not the hyper-masculinity that informs most classic superheroes, but rather when there is a disconnect between a character and the perceived image of masculinity.

Seen in that light, mental health breakdown and Catwoman's rejection are both two sides of the same coin: exploring what happens when a masculine image cracks and is challenged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    No, you’re right on the money, kjn! ����

At least that’s how I read it. I also think that’s why it draws so much ire, but that’s a whole can of worms I don’t wanna open lol.
    I think King is talking about Batman as a man. I don't personally see him necessarily making universal claims or examinations of masculinity, though he is questioning the idea of heroism as "punching everything until you win", which does tend to be a masculine-linked concept of heroism.

I'm wary of pushing the discussion too far in that direction, though, as it tends to create more heat than light, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    That is a very interesting possibility, though in the most recent issue, and King confirmed this on Twitter, that Bruce and the Batfamily breaking into Arkham happens early in the day, and then later that night is when Bane and Thomas break into Wayne Manor. So I don't think that would necessarily be alternate timelines.

Also, there's the scene in The Tyrant Wing when Batman is beating up the seemingly comatose Bane, before the issue ends with Bane doing his evil smile, which I thought is meant to imply it is in fact him, he's just being a really good actor.
    Ah okay, thanks for that clarification . I still think there's one big swerve to come, like with what he did in Heroes in Crisis and Mister Miracle. I still think Skeets is involved in it more than just grabbing Flashpoint Thomas Wayne out of Hypertime.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

We have a preview for Batman #72! It seems that we're going to get a lot of answers!

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...oilers-preview
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    We have a preview for Batman #72! It seems that we're going to get a lot of answers!

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...oilers-preview
    There are “answers” but they don’t make sense, like most of his answers.

After reading and finishing both Mr. Miracle and HiC, I can practically guarantee that however this ends it will be confusing.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    After reading and finishing both Mr. Miracle and HiC, I can practically guarantee that however this ends it will be confusing.
    Well, if you add Omega Men and Vision to that list, I think it's closer to 50/50. And this issue was a huge clarification - definitely supported my own interpretation of how things have been going from 1 to now.