Page 7 of 134 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

One thing we can all appreciate, the insane art talent for issue 50.

Holy crap.

I would have love to seen more 'Bruce Wayne' since King has all thesudden "humanizingly revolutionized DC comics". Like Mister miracle for example is REALLY humanized i.e. dealing with parenting, marriage, suicidal tendancies, the complacency of the daily grind etc. I'm just surprised King hasn't really opened Bruce to some heavier issues behind the mask. Maybe thats what the wedding is for. Idk.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    I would have love to seen more 'Bruce Wayne' since King has all thesudden "humanizingly revolutionized DC comics". Like Mister miracle for example is REALLY humanized i.e. dealing with parenting, marriage, suicidal tendancies, the complacency of the daily grind etc. I'm just surprised King hasn't really opened Bruce to some heavier issues behind the mask. Maybe thats what the wedding is for. Idk.
    I think that's exactly what King is doing - the issues with his mother, the Button's effect and the engagement, his relationships with Clark and Diana. I think there's a bit of weakness with the boys and girls, but I think those are trickier given the other books. But the engagement and marriage are definitely to give Bruce happiness and see what Batman is like if he's happier - which, to me, is part of being human - seeking happiness.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

We have a preview for the new issue here! SPOILERS for those who haven't been reading along. (Reminder - I am planning to discuss this issue on Wednesday, but I'll make sure to label all posts about it with SPOILER at the top. Please let me know in the thread if you want me to spoiler tag it so it's whited out as well.)

https://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/437902
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    We have a preview for the new issue here! SPOILERS for those who haven't been reading along. (Reminder - I am planning to discuss this issue on Wednesday, but I'll make sure to label all posts about it with SPOILER at the top. Please let me know in the thread if you want me to spoiler tag it so it's whited out as well.)

https://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/437902
    Kind of weird that Joker acts like most the other villains in Gotham don't have their gimmicks anymore.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

So, no spoilers for my reaction to #49 yet, but I did really like the way King's playing with ambiguity throughout the issue. Very appropriate for a Catwoman focused issue.

BANNED

I essentially stopped reading any Batman on a regular basis after Damian was killed. But the other day I decided to pick up Batman volume 5 because of the art and the fact that I'm a Talia Head fan (and the big box bookstore had a DC GN sale of 20%). Goodness gracious, was it awful. The dialogue was clunky, it sounded less like normal people speaking than King trying to mimick David Mammette. Also are we really supposed to believe that Selina can beat Talia in hand to hand combat? Really is this what the batbooks have been reduced to fan fiction? And why does world weary been-there-done-that Selina sound like something out of a Harlequin romance? Honestly don't understand how you people can enjoy this/

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I essentially stopped reading any Batman on a regular basis after Damian was killed. But the other day I decided to pick up Batman volume 5 because of the art and the fact that I'm a Talia Head fan (and the big box bookstore had a DC GN sale of 20%). Goodness gracious, was it awful. The dialogue was clunky, it sounded less like normal people speaking than King trying to mimick David Mammette. Also are we really supposed to believe that Selina can beat Talia in hand to hand combat? Really is this what the batbooks have been reduced to fan fiction? And why does world weary been-there-done-that Selina sound like something out of a Harlequin romance? Honestly don't understand how you people can enjoy this/
    Uh.

Did you come to the right thread?

It says it right in the title of the thread that we're here because we enjoy it and there are plenty of pages expressing ideas behind that enjoyment.

Moving on...

I'm here for more Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle in future issues as well and not just Batman and Catwoman.

King seems to be diving into it a little bit with the upcoming jury duty storyline, but I'd still like to see more of Bruce and Selina as a couple and on their own out and about in Gotham. Not only do I find the dynamic between each of them and their own masked identities intriguing, but also all the faces they have to play in public. I'd love to see more of that in their society ties, Gotham industry, etc. (It's something I kind of enjoyed in BTAS. It was limited, but Burnett, Dini, Radomski, and Timm gave Bruce a vital role in parallel and juxtaposition to Batman.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    It says it right in the title of the thread that we're here because we enjoy it and there are plenty of pages expressing ideas behind that enjoyment.
    The thread title says:

KING BATMAN RUN: ANALYSIS AND ENJOYMENT THREAD
    There is also this statement by the OP:

I don't intend this as a wholly appreciative thread, either. There are some stuff in King's run which I haven't enjoyed, some plots which I think have holes, some art that I didn't respond to. But on the whole, I think there should be a place for people to talk about the book which isn't just a bunch of "King is a hack" "I hate this" "A new low for this book" etc.
    So if this is not wholly correct. Then maybe it should be changed. Because I thought that it was a thread to discuss readers impression of Kings' run on Batman.

Though I will say, the current Batman thread is actually a pretty nice place - lots of different people talking about stuff they liked! A stark contrast to last issue!

Though I will say, the current Batman thread is actually a pretty nice place - lots of different people talking about stuff they liked! A stark contrast to last issue!
    Thanks for the heads up on the Batman thread - I still need to read the issue, but I'll check it out.

So if this is not wholly correct. Then maybe it should be changed. Because I thought that it was a thread to discuss readers impression of Kings' run on Batman.
    As OP, I tried to make it as clear as possible with ENJOYMENT is in the title that at least SOME element of enjoyment should be the guiding principle. If you want a King hate thread, there are plenty (the King vs. Snyder thread, for one). There's a clear difference between "you don't have to ONLY enjoy" and "sure, come in and hate on King." You highlight the "not wholly appreciative" but completely ignore "isn't just a bunch of I hate this" section.

Obviously, this isn't an appreciation thread, so we're not saying "Only blind love of King is allowed" - far from it. I've posted about some of my particular problems with the first arc, and as I move through my reread, I'll post more. But I'm just really puzzled at what you hoped to achieve, saying "Honestly don't understand how you people can enjoy this" - not only is it completely lacking in any enjoyment, but it's also treating people who do enjoy it as "you people."

Moving on...

I'm here for more Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle in future issues as well and not just Batman and Catwoman.

King seems to be diving into it a little bit with the upcoming jury duty storyline, but I'd still like to see more of Bruce and Selina as a couple and on their own out and about in Gotham. Not only do I find the dynamic between each of them and their own masked identities intriguing, but also all the faces they have to play in public. I'd love to see more of that in their society ties, Gotham industry, etc. (It's something I kind of enjoyed in BTAS. It was limited, but Burnett, Dini, Radomski, and Timm gave Bruce a vital role in parallel and juxtaposition to Batman.)
    I would agree (much as I've also been on the "Batman is the real identity" train - but in a nuanced way!). Seeing Bruce and Selina in issues like Superfriends is necessary! I'd like to see what's up with Bruce's company - we got glimpses of that with the Rebirth issue, and in Tec, but what does King think about Bruce being involved in Wayne Enterprises?

I'm actually pretty excited about the Jury Duty idea in the next few issues (UNLESS IT'S ALL A LIE! Hahaha) because it will put Bruce in new situations.