Page 75 of 134 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1999
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post

Hypothetically. But I admit it took me trying to console a friend after a bad breakup to move past my bewilderment at the inclusion of Damian's pearl in the 2nd annual with him being entirely removed from the story in favor of Jean Paul to notice that it's bordering on plagiarism of The Notebook. So who am I to judge? I'm just a reader who's used to the lit world where people pay close attention to things and writers talk about how their characters are their own people with only vague similarities to themselves instead of cookie cutter cardboard creations and self inserts. But this is an appreciation thread, not an analysis thread, so I will back off of it.
    I’m not sure the literary establishment is with you there on Nicholas Sparks inventing the concept of a split narrative detailing love and death. Isabel Allende exists for one. And Evelyn Waugh. And Somerset Maughm. And Orsen Welles. And Gabriel García Márquez. To name a few.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    This is an enjoyment thread so i don't want to get to into it or criticise but by using those pearls in his story [if they are the same, martha might have had more than one Pearl necklace] he effectively erases both the Dark Knights story that had kid Bruce searching the Alley for the errant pearls and crying when he couldn't retrieve them all and the Tomasi story that had Damian searching the sewers for weeks on end to find the pearl that meant so much to his dad [this action was the break through their relationship needed]

Not saying that he set out to erase the stories /that he hated them but [if they are those pearls] then he erased two key and emotional stories significant to other characters development
    Was that The Dark Knight #0? Then it's already long enough for the next writer to forget about in. Today, eight years on, what people keep in mind from New 52 Batman is Snyder's events, not subtle character moments.

One of the first things Tomasi wrote for Batman was he wanted to stop celebrating his parent's death and want to celebrate their wedding instead because he doesn't want to remember them by their tragedy but their lives. Bet people forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Was that The Dark Knight #0? Then it's already long enough for the next writer to forget about in. Today, eight years on, what people keep in mind from New 52 Batman is Snyder's events, not subtle character moments.

One of the first things Tomasi wrote for Batman was he wanted to stop celebrating his parent's death and want to celebrate their wedding instead because he doesn't want to remember them by their tragedy but their lives. Bet people forget that.
    Pretty sure it was Dark Knight #0 yep. Since Tomasi picked up his plot thread from that story isn't it new 52? Bruce gave up on celebrating their death after he and Damian had a fall out over his tradition which Damian made up for hurting his feelings and memory's by going and finding the pearl. If memory serves. After that he then decided that Damian did have a point and changed his tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
    Setting aside that All stories are true is specifically a theme of Kings run. Does it really erase anything though? Selina doesnÂ’t find the necklace in the safe. She finds a single chewed up pearl. That Bruce has one doesn’t mean he wouldn’t desperately want to get the others back or that he wouldn’t be terribly moved by Damian’s grand gesture of finding another? If Bruce had all but one of Martha’s pearls, even if he had them all and knew Damian’s was a dud, wouldn’t his reaction have been the same?
    This is why I added if it's the same noting that it might not be the same. + fuzzy memory. Don't know why i thought bruce had restrung em and that was what she found.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    If this is Knightfall 2.0...Thomas Wayne takes Bane out and Bruce then convinces his father to give up and reform his life.

(Bit of a stretch, I know, but I was jokingly plugging Thomas into the role of Az-Bats. It's easy to forget that Bruce never got a rematch with Bane in KNIGHTSEND, and there wasn't a physical confrontation with Jean Paul Valley, in spite of the buildup! Which I loved, incidentally.)
    I mean, King is doing Knightfall 2.0. That's been pretty explicit in almost all of his interviews. And while I don't think Thomas is a one-to-one exchange with AzBats, I do think King is using him in the exact same way that O'Neil, Dixon, and Moench used AzBats - to show that there's a good reason why Bruce chooses to do things the way he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Anyone else find it kind of odd and unsettling that Bruce's mom is now buried in a shallow, unmarked grave out in the middle of some desert? Doubt anyone will follow up with it, but that could become sort of a problem in the future.
    That's a really good point. I hope that King follows up on it - I can't see Bruce bringing the photo from Detective Comics 1000 to a grave he knows his AU Father robbed and didn't set it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Eh. A quick call to Clark and he’d have her back in an hour tops.
    That would be a pretty great solution.

Pretty sure it was Dark Knight #0 yep. Since Tomasi picked up his plot thread from that story isn't it new 52? Bruce gave up on celebrating their death after he and Damian had a fall out over his tradition which Damian made up for hurting his feelings and memory's by going and finding the pearl. If memory serves. After that he then decided that Damian did have a point and changed his tradition.
    I did like the pearl storyline in B&R, though I thought it was a bit overwhelmed by the Death of the Family stuff that was going on at the time. Wish it had been a bit more...I dunno, highlighted, so that the reveal hit home a bit harder. Maybe it read better in singles - I read much later in trades. But if you're talking about the Annual #2, there's only one pearl in the safe, so it doesn't negate Damian or the Dark Knight stories at all.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Spectacular Member

This is why I added if it's the same noting that it might not be the same. + fuzzy memory. Don't know why i thought bruce had restrung em and that was what she found.
    Dark Knight Rises narrative bleed.

Anyone else find it kind of odd and unsettling that Bruce's mom is now buried in a shallow, unmarked grave out in the middle of some desert? Doubt anyone will follow up with it, but that could become sort of a problem in the future.
    Yeah, my immediate thought was, "I wonder if she's one of the Three Jokers." Probably a dumb idea on my part but I liked Martha-Joker a lot. Hey maybe Joker's Daughter will show up too for the full groan factor.

Mighty Member

I didn't (though I can only speak for myself here).

Spectacular Member TravelerInTheDark's Avatar

Linkara recently made a video analyzing Tom King's Batman, if anyone's interested.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelerInTheDark View Post
    Linkara recently made a video analyzing Tom King's Batman, if anyone's interested.
    Hmmm. His first big shot over the bow is that King's writing reminds him of Grant Morrison - as if thats some kind of bad thing.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Hmmm. His first big shot over the bow is that King's writing reminds him of Grant Morrison - as if thats some kind of bad thing.
    I feel like it's too trendy to meme hate on Tom King, and while I like Linkara, I'm not sure I trust him to avoid the memes.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I feel like it's too trendy to meme hate on Tom King, and while I like Linkara, I'm not sure I trust him to avoid the memes.
    I haven't got a chance to watch his video yet, but someone I know who has seen it said he's more mixed on the run as a whole, with thinking some parts brilliant, and some parts a bit frustrating. His main issue is with The Gift (the story he reviewed), which he outright hates.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I haven't got a chance to watch his video yet, but someone I know who has seen it said he's more mixed on the run as a whole, with thinking some parts brilliant, and some parts a bit frustrating. His main issue is with The Gift (the story he reviewed), which he outright hates.
    I can actually get on board with disliking The Gift. I can SORT of see how it fits with the rest of the run, but it was just too hard for me to care about Booster and the alternate timeline versions of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Yep. He made some ok points about the story, but at one point he said a better way to do it would be to have Booster take Bruce back in time to talk with his mom, and then show the timestream consequences. Um ... no, not better. Wouldn't have made the point King was getting at.

But this is the issue with lots of negative reviews of comics in general - they come down to "I don't like it" and have a lot of manufactured substance to back it up.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Yep. He made some ok points about the story, but at one point he said a better way to do it would be to have Booster take Bruce back in time to talk with his mom, and then show the timestream consequences. Um ... no, not better. Wouldn't have made the point King was getting at.

But this is the issue with lots of negative reviews of comics in general - they come down to "I don't like it" and have a lot of manufactured substance to back it up.
    I would say one of the biggest problems in reviews today is the counterfactual review - reviewing the comic you THINK should have been written, instead of trying to see what the writer was attempting to say. That doesn't mean you have to like it, but it's definitely something that I see more and more - even in my own reviews. My review for Batman #50 was definitely something I struggled pretty hard with.