Page 76 of 134 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1999

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I can actually get on board with disliking The Gift. I can SORT of see how it fits with the rest of the run, but it was just too hard for me to care about Booster and the alternate timeline versions of the characters.
    I know one of his major issues is how they handled Booster Gold, and how he's portrayed as much more incompetent than he should be, and as someone not too familiar with the character, that's why it didn't bother me, but I can see why fans of the character would be annoyed at his portrayal.

Same with the dark humour, I've always liked King's style of humour and the events in The Gift are so ridiculous I laughed really hard at it, but I can also see why it may be too much for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I know one of his major issues is how they handled Booster Gold, and how he's portrayed as much more incompetent than he should be, and as someone not too familiar with the character, that's why it didn't bother me, but I can see why fans of the character would be annoyed at his portrayal.

Same with the dark humour, I've always liked King's style of humour and the events in The Gift are so ridiculous I laughed really hard at it, but I can also see why it may be too much for some people.
    As someone who is more used to that kind of humor, it didn't bother me as much as other people, i was mostly fine with it, i was sort of amused for how awful and bat### insane it was. But man Booster wasn't really character to do this, even JLI Booster wouldn't do something that irresponsible, is even worse when you compare him with his portrayal in Action Comics a couple of moths before that.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    As someone who is more used to that kind of humor, it didn't bother me as much as other people, i was mostly fine with it, i was sort of amused for how awful and bat### insane it was. But man Booster wasn't really character to do this, even JLI Booster wouldn't do something that irresponsible, is even worse when you compare him with his portrayal in Action Comics a couple of moths before that.
    See one of the odd things about the Linkara criticism of The Gift, is that he mentions the Action Comics story in the context of it being an ok use of Booster. Its true that in that previous story Booster didn't initiate things, which maybe makes it better for his character?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    For me his humour doesn't work at all. It feels usually pretty out of place, since he doesn't really mange to balance the humour with the dark parts of his stories.

The first scene with Hal was pretty stunning. I'm just not sure how it got the green light. Same goes for much of the story, it just reads more like something that level heads in the room would have made sure stayed on the cutting room floor.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The Gift is a really beautiful story about the pitfalls and impossibilities of trying to run from trauma. You have to accept your damage, no matter how painful, in order to move on. It's a sort of proto-Mister Miracle, and a perfect primer to HiC. One of my favorites of the run for sure. I should add I don't care at all about Booster Gold, or how in or out of character he was written, however.

Genuinely didn't know Linkara was still a thing though. Hard pass on that lol.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    The Gift is a really beautiful story about the pitfalls and impossibilities of trying to run from trauma. You have to accept your damage, no matter how painful, in order to move on. It's a sort of proto-Mister Miracle, and a perfect primer to HiC. One of my favorites of the run for sure. I should add I don't care at all about Booster Gold, or how in or out of character he was written, however.

Genuinely didn't know Linkara was still a thing though. Hard pass on that lol.
    Very interesting - I'm glad to have someone push back on me! I agree with the theme that you see in The Gift - it is, after all, the same theme as Batman Begins - "Why do we fall, Master Bruce?" - but I just didn't enjoy anything that was happening, and I couldn't get invested in the motives of these AU versions of our characters. Thanks for sharing!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    In respect, though, those Action Comics issues were written by the creator of Booster, and his primary writer since. Pretty easy to "get" the character when you're the one that invented them.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

New solicit for next Batman November issue. Some very interesting implications here.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNjIvNzM4L29yaWdpbmFsL0JhdG1hbl84M19hLmpwZz8x.jpg
    BATMAN #83
    written by TOM KING
    art and cover by MIKEL JANIN
    card stock variant cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA
    It’s chapter nine of “City of Bane,” and it’s time for a reckoning in Gotham City! Thomas Wayne has joined forces with Bane, and that alliance threatens to throw a monkey wrench into Batman’s plans. And as Bane’s evil army begins to crumble, the Caped Crusader must face the real force behind it all. As the end of this epic tale grows near, Batman and his allies have a choice: let Bane stay in power and guarantee the city’s survival, or risk everything to break free!
    ON SALE 11.20.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    CARD STOCK VARIANT COVER $4.99
    FC|DC

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

It seems that things could be gearing up for a final showdown between father and son rather than Bat and Bane...

Wonder what will become of Thomas Wayne at the conclusion of King's run. Will he die, be shipped back off to the FP reality to die there, or will he posse up with Jor-El and start the Once Dead, Now Bad Dads Club?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if the final showdown is Father vs Son vs Bane.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The other cover implies that Thomas is using Bane

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    It seems that things could be gearing up for a final showdown between father and son rather than Bat and Bane...

Wonder what will become of Thomas Wayne at the conclusion of King's run. Will he die, be shipped back off to the FP reality to die there, or will he posse up with Jor-El and start the Once Dead, Now Bad Dads Club?
    There's still that thing about Gotham Girl going to kill Batman from I am Gotham so I guess he'll die

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I hope we get some amazing omnibuses for King's run.

It does suck that Bat/Cat will be monthly; I've been so spoiled with Batman shipping every fortnight.

Long week ahead.

In all honesty, I was liking King's run up until the wedding. Selina vs Talia was a fun fight, and I loved the double date with Lois and Clark. But once the wedding proved to be a red herring, things started going off of the rails for me and I enjoyed it less and less.

I think King was so enamored with the idea of doing a solid 100 issue run that he let his story get away from him, and it's become the bloated mess that it is currently.
    Last edited by AnakinFlair; 08-20-2019 at 09:46 AM.