Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The BB thing is just splitting hairs because the New 52 version wasn't the defacto future either. In the end it was just a possible future, a tangent, which makes it not dissimilar from past Beyond continuities in regards to any connection to the main world. The same thing with the Rebirth runs. There were rumors, at least words from Jurgens, in the beginning that it was supposed to be a defintitive DCU future. But it never panned out or went anywhere. In the end New 52/Rebirth Batman Beyond is in the same boat as the original series set in the comics DCAU, in that it is in its own reality, world, tangent, or whatever. It'll just occasionally take concepts from a current main continuity (like it did with Jon Kent).
    The Post Future's End books take place in comics continuity not animation continuity and the comics continuity in question is the the New 52 continuity. The event was literally called NEW 52 FUTURES END. It being an alternate future doesn't change the continuity it is set in. It branches from the New 52 continuity and they're still publishing it so New 52 hasn't been abandoned which is what this was all about. They've still maintained Red Hood and the Outlaws brand as well.

A future series loosely based on the New 52 does not mean the actual New 52 is still around. Its an off-shoot set on its own in a dystopian future. If some want to count that, hey more power to them, but I don't, because its not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about current continuity. And the current continuity is best described as a revamped post-Infinite Crisis/Pre-FP lore foundation.

http://community.comicbookresources....he-DC-Universe 64 pages worth of material. And they're not making this stuff up. Its all documented.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-11-2018 at 01:07 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

It had a lot of success before it died. It lasted for 15 years and at least over a decade of that time was solid before it started falling off. Hardly the definition of a bomb. It died due to bad creative decisions after creating a successful formula. And it has the chance to be revived as something Bendis brought back to the table in his swan song. Now maybe nobody takes up on that. They're not obligated. But they might.

And nowhere did I suggest that Superman be a "teeny-bopper" A year one Superman is in his 20s.
    It could have gone longer if people stopped dying...Though, that is sort of what made it good is that real heroes died and didn't come back, along with the fact that there is still a black and white line between heroes and villains and not a multitude of gray.

BANNED

It had a lot of success before it died. It lasted for 15 years and at least over a decade of that time was solid before it started falling off. Hardly the definition of a bomb. It died due to bad creative decisions after creating a successful formula. And it has the chance to be revived as something Bendis brought back to the table in his swan song. Now maybe nobody takes up on that. They're not obligated. But they might.

And nowhere did I suggest that Superman be a "teeny-bopper" A year one Superman is in his 20s.
    Its intitial run was hailed, it was middling by the second run and a bomb by the third, dead by the fourth. You're fixated on time when you should be looking at the phases. 3 out of 4 phases were failures so they spent most of those 15 years investing on a failing brand. Meanwhile the actual universe is going strong after almost 8 decades, just putting things in to perspective.

What difference does it make if Superman is in his 20's or 30's?

Of course I'm fixated on time, nothing that lasts that long is a fluke. Of course quality is subjective, but people were buying the product. That's all that matters. There was an appeal, and I believe continues to be. Of course it didn't compare to the main verse. But it didn't have to; it wasn't supposed to. It was a compliment, not a competition.

What difference does it make if Superman is in his 20's or 30's?
    Experience and having a complete clean slate of the lore to take in sometimes subtle, sometimes drasticly different directions than the main guy. Its the entire reason imaginary tales/Elseworlds have been popular for forever in DC/Marvel history. Speaking of which, could they just do that? Sure. That's part of what the Black Label is along with an apparently more "adult" theme. But I maintain and always will that there's a market for taking that concept and building a side-continuity with it. Its happened before with success, for both companies, and it can happen again.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-11-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    They removed everything that was unpopular or controversial. Just who exactly is begging for New 52 Creeper over the classic? And thats just one example. Same goes for Deathstroke, the New 52 Teen Titans, then there's the changes to the Wonder Woman mythos. They retained the Snyder Batman run, the Tomasi Batman and Robin book, Simon and Jess are running around and so on, Batman Beyond's integration to the main timeline is intact. There's really nothing to bring back other than controversy.
    ....which was almost everything about the New 52. New 52 Superman. Gone. New 52 Wonder Woman. Gone. New 52 Teen Titans. Gone. The New 52 JL history. Gone.

They've also actually undone a bunch of New 52 Batman stuff. Snyder himself even contradicted Zero Year and Tom King basically gave us the entirety of Batman's courtship with Catwoman over the almost 80 years' worth of published stories.

So, its no longer New 52. Too much has been changed back.

Retired

The GREEN LANTERN CORPS movie having Geoff Johns as its champion gives me some angst. He might have a good idea for the script, but Johns seems like the kind of guy who is easily pushed around by the suits at WB. Whereas, what each DC movie needs is someone with a strong enough vision and a strong enough position that they can fight for those movies. What usually seems to happen with a DC movie is an artistic type creates their dream, then the suits look at it and decide it won't make money and insist on a lot of edits and reshoots. Now if GLC had a Hollywood heavyweight behind it, the story would be different and the creative types could make the movie they want without too much interference. Johns just isn't the guy who can fight for such a movie. And another loss for Green Lantern would probably kill any chances of ever having more Green Lantern movies.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Rebirth is it's own thing. It's not the New 52 anymore, but pre-Flashpoint continuity isn't back as it was either. Nightwing only just recently set up shop in Bludhaven. Cass and Steph were never Batgirl apparently and have only recently become part of the Bat-Family. Cyborg doesn't firmly have his NTT history back. Wonder Woman is still a daughter of Zeus and even though her stories from the New 52 got wiped out, Perez's run didn't come back. She has a new history.

It's a greatest hits that pulls from whatever eras it wants.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Rebirth is it's own thing. It's not the New 52 anymore, but pre-Flashpoint continuity isn't back as it was either. Nightwing only just recently set up shop in Bludhaven. Cass and Steph were never Batgirl apparently and have only recently become part of the Bat-Family. Cyborg doesn't firmly have his NTT history back. Wonder Woman is still a daughter of Zeus and even though her stories from the New 52 got wiped out, Perez's run didn't come back. She has a new history.

It's a greatest hits that pulls from whatever eras it wants.
    Which was all continuation from n52. Beside WW being given the "it was a lie!!!" treatment because of certain writer and Superman being a mix of continuities (which isn't a new thing for their characters since their continuities were always a mess since the first crisis), pretty much everthing continued on from n52.

Cyborg's getting his NTT history back. Its already been established he has a previous relationship with Raven. That's all coming, just hasn't been told yet. As I've been in discussions about a lot, I'm still not convinced they'll roll back the JL founder status due to the diversity element, but he'll be getting his Titans history back either way. But that just goes back to the point that there is indeed a couple things from N52 that carried over. Just a small amount that continues to fade with time and there's far more pre-FP stuff that's come back than N52 stuff that's been retained. Siege has a good point that its, all put together, a combo of something new (and confusing). But the platform, when you dig in, is coming up IC. Which only makes sense; Johns set up that post-IC status quo, and he set up Rebirth.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-11-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Which was all continuation from n52. Beside WW being given the "it was a lie!!!" treatment because of certain writer and Superman being a mix of continuities (which isn't a new thing for their characters since their continuities were always a mess since the first crisis), pretty much everthing continued on from n52.
    Well, the very fact that Wonder Woman and Superman continuity is different from how it was in the New 52 (the most glaring example being that they never dated in canon anymore) means that this is NOT the New 52 continuity anymore. However, a lot of what SiegePerilous02 points out has actually been undone or at least will likely be undone soon if the plot threads DC has provided pan out. I remember reading an issue of Nightwing where it said that his recent setting up shop in Blüdhaven was him "coming back" suggesting that he'd been there before. Cass and Steph were just recently educated about the fact that they were in fact Batgirls, suggesting that they'll be getting that history back soon. Plus, Wally's memories of Victor are of him as a Titan, meaning that he's probably getting that history back too.

Good that he’ll be involved in the Green Lantern movie. Terrible that we’re going to get a doubling down on the approach that ruined Captain Marvel.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

And while WW and Superman have some major changes, it's not like the writers completely ignored n52 which you can't make a claim of. Superman still referred to a lot of stuff that happened in n52 and WW still was bulid off on what happened in n52 which was a major point in the first arc.

N52 is still the main continuity which was expended and has some rectons here and there, but it wasn't earsed.
    Last edited by Rise; 06-11-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Actually, with Superman yes, the New 52 is pretty much ignored. The only thing that carried over is that he wore the N52 costume for a period, and a couple villains like Ulysses, but that all happened at a vastly different point in his career now, and even those are the type of details that don't require reference or require any particular relevance to his present. The New 52 origin, the foundation of that version, is completely out, replaced with something more closely related to Secret Origin. And what was Secret Origin? His post-Infinite Crisis revamp.

Diana on the other hand has two defining New 52 features left, which isn't much but granted yes, more than Superman. One, her status as Zeus' daughter, and two the restoration of Steve Trevor. Everything surrounding that though has been put to a more pre-FP aesthetic. Indeed again like with Superman, her New 52 foundation, her origin, is out. That was retold as well.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-11-2018 at 02:19 PM.

No, it wasn't. Some of n52 stories were referred in Superman, action comics, supergirl and new superman.