Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

"Some" does not mean that's the foundation. There's far, far more of his old history back including the origin that it is the clear foundation. And even then, a lot of those early references don't make a lot of sense anymore and could easily fade away. With Superman Reborn, they worked a couple elements into his pre-FP history. NOT the other way around. Supergirl is different, which frankly makes the lore a mess because she's intrinsically tied to Superman. But, a lot of things are still a mess. But Superman aside, DCU-wide the clear pattern is N52 discrepancies defaulting back to the pre-FP reality. Its been going on for two years now and its hard to imagine that not continuing till they get to the point of being done tinkering (in general), be that after Doomsday Clock, or with their 2020 event, or whatever.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-11-2018 at 02:28 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

As I said in another thread, I don't think the GLC movie will get made. The term "Green Lantern" has too bad a reputation among filmgoers. I also don't think Johns is going to produce many movies, if any. I think DC's attitude is that if he comes up with a good idea or script for a movie, that'll be fine, but they're not counting on it.

I also suspect that they're worried about the Aquaman movie, which has already been shot, but we'll see.

I think this is a matter of Johns being moved back into comics. This is the second shoe dropping after Diane Nelson went on leave.

I don't think there was any "culture war" between Johns and Nelson on one hand and Lee and DiDio on the other. I think this was just a matter of Johns producing two of the top ten money-losing movies of all time. That was going to have consequences for the producer.

But Johns still has a job. He won't miss any meals.

Boisterously Confused

Return Of The Nehru-neck Costumes, comin' right up.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Johns Writing the GLC Movie: Could go either way.
    Johns Writing a Shazam book: Could go either way. I'll give it at least a couple issues.
    Johns Writing a Three Jokers book: NO.
    Johns starting up ANOTHER imprint: W H Y (Please Johns, don't use this as an excuse to kill even more minor characters)
    Lee being made CCO: This could be both very good and very bad.
    Wasn't he the co-producer of the last Green Lantern film and the consultant for that movie?

That makes one go "uhm.....no.....?"

Should have went with the John Stewart film that Corey Reynolds initially pitched to DC....
    Last edited by C-Dot; 06-11-2018 at 02:57 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It actually seems like an imprint designed to promote minor characters, though the title is a tad worrisome .
    If not for that terrifying title, my one Cass mind would be thinking about how Johns and Hill were talking about Cass a couple weeks ago and Hill's own desire to write a solo and believe that perhaps a book for her would be coming out of it...but f**k, that title.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The only thing I don't like about Jim Lee is his choice of lines and armor for New 52 Hal and Clark, so I have no opinion on his ability as CCO
    As for Johns projects, I just want him to finish them because they have been delayed. Not only Doomsday Clock and Three Jokers, fans have been asking for a Shazam series since his origin mini in New 52, and still no sign of Rise of The Seven Seas.

As long as Johns don't ruin another DC movie like he did with Zack Snyder's Justice League, I don't really care where he's going or what will be his position.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    As long as Johns don't ruin another DC movie like he did with Zack Snyder's Justice League, I don't really care where he's going or what will be his position.
    I just hope he stays away from the Green Lantern comics, that's all.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Good that he’ll be involved in the Green Lantern movie. Terrible that we’re going to get a doubling down on the approach that ruined Captain Marvel.
    How did he ruin it? I mean really. He updated a very corny character to better work in the here and now and appeal to a wide audience and not just golden age fanboys who just want him to be written like he was by CC beck all those decades ago. There was NOTHING in his new origin of Shazam that ruined anything. Billy is still the same kid he is just more of a REAL kid instead of some idolized version of a perfect boy who could never exist. The "holy moley ah shucks" version just would not sell in this day and age except to a very small vocal audience.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dot View Post
    Wasn't he the co-producer of the last Green Lantern film and the consultant for that movie?

That makes one go "uhm.....no.....?"

Should have went with the John Stewart film that Corey Reynolds initially pitched to DC....
    Do you really think Johns had any influence on the first Green Lantern movie? I can promise you none of the suits were listening to a "comic book guy" when they were making that movie. Co-Producer on a movie really means nothing.

I'm concerned about Jim Lee for sure but this is great news to me as a Geoff Johns super-fan. I still have him as my favorite straight-ahead superhero comic book writer and I'm still on the edge of my seat, all this time later, about Three Jokers. To me anything that has Johns writing more comics is a win. There are new comics I love almost as much as Doomsday Clock but none I love better than it.

If this means more DC comic books from Johns, that's wonderful news from my POV.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Killing Zone makes me fear for my fave minor characters.
    me too 10 characters

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Do you really think Johns had any influence on the first Green Lantern movie? I can promise you none of the suits were listening to a "comic book guy" when they were making that movie. Co-Producer on a movie really means nothing.

Uhm.....the creators said he did have input, the screenwriters said he did (basing a lot on his run of GL), and he's credited as creative consultant as well as co-producer. Kinda shows he did had some type of influence/input when it comes to the movie. And to be fair, you can't really say "Co-Producer on a movie really means nothing" when you have co-producers who take active roles in the movie's creation from pre to post production.
    Last edited by C-Dot; 06-11-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I remember reading an issue of Nightwing where it said that his recent setting up shop in Blüdhaven was him "coming back" suggesting that he'd been there before.
    Wasn't that a reference to Convergence Superman (ugh) or whatever telling him that he lived in Blüdhaven in another universe and he should totally do it again? Because Seeley's run established him going there for the first time and set it up with a new take on Blockbuster and other things. Seems counterproductive to then hint that the whole history stretching back to the Dixon days was there. What the hell did we just spend 30+ issues reading then?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Diana on the other hand has two defining New 52 features left, which isn't much but granted yes, more than Superman. One, her status as Zeus' daughter, and two the restoration of Steve Trevor. Everything surrounding that though has been put to a more pre-FP aesthetic. Indeed again like with Superman, her New 52 foundation, her origin, is out. That was retold as well.
    To be fair, she didn't really have an origin story in the New 52. Details were just randomly thrown out haphazardly. And Rucka kept the gist of things by making Steve a love interest again and keeping Barbara Ann as a friend (one of the other major defining New 52 features for WW, they just tweaked the details for a better story). Etta is black as well like in the New 52. There are some pre-FP aesthetics with the Amazons and Ares's design in Year One, but otherwise the things are different and kind of have a new aesthetic that is a mix of new things with old. Veronica Cale's new origin, Dr. Cyber's new origin, design and abilities, etc.

Rebirth as a whole is basically a chimera formed from various parts. Maybe the broad strokes of the New 52 are in place but so much from other eras has been grafted onto it that it can hardly be called that anymore. And the post-Crisis and other elements being brought it are not necessarily in the same form as they were before, so it can't be called Pre-FP canon either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Then he should return the salary they paid him. But FYI, a co-producer of a movie outranks an associate producer. The job doesn't "mean nothing." And the story of Green Lantern very closely hewed to Geoff's concepts for the property. If this movie had been a smash hit, I'm sure his fans would give Johns big credit for it.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-11-2018 at 04:10 PM.