Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Geoff Johns Exits DC Entertainment for Writing and Producing Deal

“Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Rest assured if you're worried about what this means for his future at DC, the article states that Geoff will still be involved with DC's properties going forward:
    One of John’s first projects will be Green Lantern Corps, based on DC’s intergalactic police heroes which Johns is already very familiar with, having spent nine years writing Green Lantern comics and its spin-offs and publishing events. Johns will write the screenplay and act as one of the producers on the feature film. Johns is already writing and producing Wonder Woman 2 and will have a co-writing and executive producing credit on Aquaman, this year's only DC offering that opens in December.

“Geoff is a super talented writer and truly embedded in the DC Universe and its characters,” stated Emmerich. “We’re thrilled that he’s returning to his passion and his roots as a writer and producer. And, it’s even better that he’s staying in our Warner Bros. family. We look forward to working with him on ‘Green Lantern’ and other projects going forward.”

On the television side, Johns co-developed and is executive producing (alongside Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter and Jeremy Carver) and writing on the first original series for the upcoming DC Universe digital service, Titans. Johns also wrote the Titans episode “Doom Patrol” that it is spinning out into its own 13-episode original series for the digital service.

On the publishing side, Johns will write and curate a DC pop-up label under the moniker The Killing Zone, focusing on new and lesser known or dormant DC characters and titles. He will also write a new Shazam comic series scheduled to hit this fall as well as a comic titled Three Jokers, drawn by Jason Fabok. The latter was a project sidelined as Johns’ time was taken up by executive and screen commitments.
    Jim Lee will be taking over as CCO... aw yeah, I hope this means a line-wide return of armored costumes with lines everywhere!
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 06-11-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Jim Lee is taking over as CCO is the scariest news I've ever seen

Extraordinary Member

I suppose this means Johns is not going to be the DC movies' Kevin Feige as many originally hoped. Of course they might be better off not trying to have a Feige and just letting producers do their work on individual films, like Johns will be doing.

I also have to admit that I never thought Bob Harras would outlast the people he's outlasted.

Edit: Though as others have noted, leaving behind his DC executive responsibilities could give him more, not less, influence over the movies, or at least more time to work on them.
    Last edited by gurkle; 06-11-2018 at 10:07 AM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Great. Here comes UNBIRTH: THE RETURN OF THE NEW 52!

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I have conflicted feelings about this. I don't know if this going to be good or bad news for DC.

But, it's nice to see Shazam finally confirmed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

better title than AFTERBIRTH: RETURN OF THE 52 TOO.

I am so glad that Johns is writing the Green Lantern Movie. I like the sound of his new label but I am not sure if I am a fan of him writing the new Shazam book.

Lee becoming the new CCO does worry me.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yep! Well this will be interesting indeed. I am glad to get confirmation about a future Shazam book........hopefully we will see it before 2020.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 06-11-2018 at 10:06 AM.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

This is great news.

Instead of sitting in a office making technical decisions he is back to writing and creating as he should be.

He never seemed the executive type anyways or seemed to like it. writing and creating is much more his passion.

I wonder who these lesser known DC characters he's going to bring under his new imprint.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

One step closer to him being gone for good!

BANNED

Johns Writing the GLC Movie: Could go either way.
    Johns Writing a Shazam book: Could go either way. I'll give it at least a couple issues.
    Johns Writing a Three Jokers book: NO.
    Johns starting up ANOTHER imprint: W H Y (Please Johns, don't use this as an excuse to kill even more minor characters)
    Lee being made CCO: This could be both very good and very bad.
    Last edited by Assam; 06-11-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Well, he's not leaving DC. Not really. He's even writing more comics for them and launching his own personal label. He's basically just focusing on creative endeavors instead of business ones.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

Oh god. If that's the case, DC will sure be saving me a lot of money going forward...

Astonishing Member

Killing Zone makes me fear for my fave minor characters.