Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Johns Writing the GLC Movie: Could go either way.
    Even if Johns wasn't personally involved, the movie was probably going to take a lot of inspiration from his run anyways.

At least one of my takeaways from this is that I'm a little less worried about how they're going to handle Hal now (although I know John fans are probably worried about how he'll come off).
    Johns Writing a Shazam book: Could go either way. I'll give it at least a couple issues.
    Given how much the Shazam movie is lifting from Johns' take, they're going to need more material for the sequel.
    Johns starting up ANOTHER imprint: W H Y (Please Johns, don't use this as an excuse to kill even more minor characters)
    It actually seems like an imprint designed to promote minor characters, though the title is a tad worrisome .
    Lee being made CCO: This could be both very good and very bad.
    I don't have a negative opinion of Lee, even if I think his influence on the New 52 was...less then desirable, but I'm not sure I can buy him as CCO.

Doomsday Clock delayed to 2021.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Doomsday Clock delayed to 2021.
    Where is the emoji for "falling down in a dead faint and being found unresponsive"?

Haha, no worries, I'm just teasing. I hope.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Even if Johns wasn't personally involved, the movie was probably going to take a lot of inspiration from his run anyways.

At least one of my takeaways from this is that I'm a little less worried about how they're going to handle Hal now (although I know John fans are probably worried about how he'll come off).
    I am worried about John Stewart. However, I am also worried about Hal if Sinestro is featured.

I don't want a live action Hals asking Sinestro: "Were we ever friends?"
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 06-11-2018 at 12:33 PM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

"Killing Zone"? Yeuch. Talk about playing into the worst of Johns.

Personally, I run very hot and cold on Johns so this is pretty much good or bad on a case by case basis.

As for Jim Lee being the CCO... yeah, that's not very promising at all.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Definitely have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, my enjoyment of Johns's work has dwindled considerably over the years, with the last time I regularly enjoyed his writing being around the time he was on JSA (I found his GL, Infinite Crisis, Flash: Rebirth, and Justice League to be almost uniformly terrible, though I am liking Doomsday Clock and enjoyed his take on Superman) and it's obvious the progression of the cinematic DC Universe under his watch has been almost a total disaster (save for WW, which was decent enough).

But, I feel like relegating him to his own little corner of the DCU to write his stuff means that he's lost the "culture war" between him and Didio, who I really do hold responsible for the majority of terrible decisions DC has made in the 21st century. And making Jim Lee, who seems to be pretty firmly in Camp Didio, the CCO suggests that we'll be getting a lot more Didio-steered creative decision making in the future...and I highly doubt that Didio is a guy who recognizes his mistakes, let alone learns from them.

I'm buying more DC now than I have since before the New 52 kicked in; it'll be interesting to see how much I'm still buying once the impact of these changes starts to hit the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I am worried about John Stewart. However, I am also worried about Hal if Sinestro is featured.

I don't want a live action Hals asking Sinestro: "Were we ever friends?"
    I hope with Johns on board that we can get a good depiction of Hal and Sinestro's dynamic and rivalry.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    Batman Beyond has been a part of the main timeline at least since Morrison's run.
    Um no, Morrison gave a tease or nod to it. All the subsequent Batman Beyond books by Beechen, Nguyen, Higgins and on took place in the DCAU. Until NEW 52 Futures End whose big selling point was induction of Batman Beyond in to continuity. This continued with the Batman Beyond book by Jurgens featuring Tim and it further continued in to Rebirth with another relaunch. It is very much a New 52 thing.

Always Rakzo

Good news and bad news to take from here.

Bad news because DC Rebirth has been pretty much the perfect direction that DC should have taken after years of missteps (Aside from some things that were not fixed like Green Arrow and the Batman line became much worse somehow) and it would be a shame that things radically change and become as erratic as they were during Lee's previous position.

Good news though because, my God, Johns has certainly demonstrated with Doomsday Clock that he still has it and might be better than ever in fact. A line where he revitalizes obscure characters is ideal for him considering his love for lesser-known heroes and it could be great to launch new books as well. Not to mention that the long-awaited Shazam is finally getting its well-deserved release and even Rise of the Seven Seas could actually happen.

Overall, I think I'm more excited about the short-term results here but hopefully I won't regret the long-term.

The BB thing is just splitting hairs because the New 52 version wasn't the defacto future either. In the end it was just a possible future, a tangent, which makes it not dissimilar from past Beyond continuities in regards to any connection to the main world. The same thing with the Rebirth runs. There were rumors, at least words from Jurgens, in the beginning that it was supposed to be a defintitive DCU future. But it never panned out or went anywhere. In the end New 52/Rebirth Batman Beyond is in the same boat as the original series set in the comics DCAU, in that it is in its own reality, world, tangent, or whatever. It'll just occasionally take concepts from a current main continuity (like it did with Jon Kent).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It was that way in the beginning, briefly. Now? Especially after Superman Reborn, this is the pre-FP world. Most of the New 52 elements are gone in regards to pre-existing mythoi. Especially considering the main point of the initiative was younger heroes. That obviously ended right from the start when they added the 10 years back to the history. There's a whole thread dedicated to the pre-FP stuff coming back. And the thread is huge, because the examples are huge. This continuity is easily somewhere in the realm of 95% pre-FP, 3% N52, 2% new stuff.

What there is to capitalize on is the idea of the core heroes being younger. That was not an unpopular thing to explore, and still is not. It just wasn't wise to do it as an out-and-out replacement of everything else. It should have been a supplement. That's all I mean when I throw out the term "new 52". Its the name of the closest example of the general idea which I firmly believes has legs, just as its own thing. Just as I believe Marvel's Ultimate Universe still has legs. That failed the first time because of bad decision-making after building a solid lore. I hope that one will be rebuilt as well.
    You do realize that the Ultimate line failed and bombed in the long run right?
    Secondly DC is already capitalizing on the idea of younger heroes via Earth One which so far have also yielded middling results. No Earth One book has really done anything spectacular or genre defining. The ones with Superman are just flatout mediocre. I dont believe people really care about Batman encountering Mr Freeze for the "first time" the thousandth time. Beyond an initial novelty factor that may or may not be inflated by deliberate controversy its just not a feasible long term strategy. Batman and Superman have always been middle aged men. There's a reason DC has Teen Titans, Jimmy, Robin etc. Supes and Bats are not teeny bopper heroes, they're not tweeners. They're respectable adults with authority that people look up to, find inspiring or scary. They have a legend and mystique. These are important traits which DC cannot retain should they decide to replace Nightwing with Batman. Then they're just venturing in to Nightwing territory and I guarantee no Batman fan wants to read that.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    This is great news.

Instead of sitting in a office making technical decisions he is back to writing and creating as he should be.

He never seemed the executive type anyways or seemed to like it. writing and creating is much more his passion.
    I agree. Stick to what he's good at. Johns never struck me as the executive type, he's just a guy who loves the Silver Age. Whether that's good or bad is a different story. lol
    Last edited by Johnny; 06-11-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    You do realize that the Ultimate line failed and bombed in the long run right?
    Secondly DC is already capitalizing on the idea of younger heroes via Earth One which so far have also yielded middling results. No Earth One book has really done anything spectacular or genre defining. The ones with Superman are just flatout mediocre. I dont believe people really care about Batman encountering Mr Freeze for the "first time" the thousandth time. Beyond an initial novelty factor that may or may not be inflated by deliberate controversy its just not a feasible long term strategy. Batman and Superman have always been middle aged men. There's a reason DC has Teen Titans, Jimmy, Robin etc. Supes and Bats are not teeny bopper heroes, they're not tweeners. They're respectable adults with authority that people look up to, find inspiring or scary. They have a legend and mystique. These are important traits which DC cannot retain should they decide to replace Nightwing with Batman. Then they're just venturing in to Nightwing territory and I guarantee no Batman fan wants to read that.
    It had a lot of success before it died. It lasted for 15 years and at least over a decade of that time was solid before it started falling off. Hardly the definition of a bomb. It died due to bad creative decisions after creating a successful formula. And it has the chance to be revived as something Bendis brought back to the table in his swan song. Now maybe nobody takes up on that. They're not obligated. But they might.

And nowhere did I suggest that Superman be a "teeny-bopper" A year one Superman is in his 20s.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-11-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope with Johns on board that we can get a good depiction of Hal and Sinestro's dynamic and rivalry.
    I hope he does a better depiction live action than he did in the comics (imo).