Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

So if Batman already knew who the Joker was, why did he ask the Mobius Chair?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gorosaurus View Post
    Because it was a poorly thought out and executed story.

I'm not being facetious here that really is the answer...and it's the answer to just about every plot question you might have.

Q:Why is Joe Chill still alive here?
    A: It's a poorly thought out and executed story.

Q:Why does Jim Gordon tacitly acknowledge that his daughter is Batgirl?

Q: Is it in continuity?
    A: Who cares, it's a poorly thought out and executed story.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I would fault Johns on that except he & Fabok made it clear enough in interviews that this story was being done apart from strict continuity. It'd be a contradiction otherwise, but this was meant to be untethered from Rebirth/continuity.

Once Johns gave up on this being strict continuity/canon, he both a) changed the Jokers themselves and b) ignored the Mobius Chair.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I would fault Johns on that except he & Fabok made it clear enough in interviews that this story was being done apart from strict continuity. It'd be a contradiction otherwise, but this was meant to be untethered from Rebirth/continuity.

Once Johns gave up on this being strict continuity/canon, he both a) changed the Jokers themselves and b) ignored the Mobius Chair.
    Thank you!

Amazing Member

double post

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Because it was a poorly thought out and executed story.

I'm not being facetious here that really is the answer...and it's the answer to just about every plot question you might have.

Q:Why is Joe Chill still alive here?

Q:Why does Jim Gordon tacitly acknowledge that his daughter is Batgirl?

Q: Is it in continuity?
    A: Who cares, it's a poorly thought out and executed story.
    Thanks for your input!

If it had never been teased in the regular books you'd have a point, it would be like complaining about how Batman's costume is wrong in Gotham by Gaslight because he looks totally different in Detective...but since it didn't start as its own separate thing and was built up several times leading up to the release of the book it just comes off as sloppy.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    If it had never been teased in the regular books you'd have a point, it would be like complaining about how Batman's costume is wrong in Gotham by Gaslight because he looks totally different in Detective...but since it didn't start as its own separate thing and was built up several times leading up to the release of the book it just comes off as sloppy.
    My only response to say that Johns couldn't travel back in time and undo past stories. Apart from continuity, he must have felt ignoring the Mobius Chair thing was the better story and he went with that.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I suppose the argument could be made that he wasn't asking to find out, but asking to confirm that it actually knew everything.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I suppose the argument could be made that he wasn't asking to find out, but asking to confirm that it actually knew everything.

He was surprised by the reveal.

Just accept it, Johns either retconned himself or forgot about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post

He was surprised by the reveal.

Just accept it, Johns either retconned himself or forgot about it.
    The reveal would have been that there's three of them, something he wouldn't have known.

Asking to confirm is absolutely a no-prize answer, but if you want it to be a mistake, it certainly could be.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    The reveal would have been that there's three of them, something he wouldn't have known.

Asking to confirm is absolutely a no-prize answer, but if you want it to be a mistake, it certainly could be.
    The thing is if he could find the name of the Comedian a week after the Red Hood tried to steal Ace Chemicals, then Bruce should also be aware of the existence of previous Jokers, and thus, the existence of Thre Jokers wouldn't be a surprise to him.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm not sure if there is a point in arguing who had more and better variant covers. I brought up DK3 only as an example that book selling well doesn't automatically mean that it will be integrated into main continuity.
    Was DK3 ever going to be incorporated into the main continuity? It's another sequel to a story that is already an Elseworlds/set on a different Earth in the multiverse. It was never going to affect the main DCU.

My only response to say that Johns couldn't travel back in time and undo past stories. Apart from continuity, he must have felt ignoring the Mobius Chair thing was the better story and he went with that.
    He couldn't undo past stories, but he could have told a good one. If the story itself had been even a quarter as great as it was hyped up to be people would be content with what was there on the page but because the story was so flat and pointless everyone one has time to glom on to peripheral flaws.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    The thing is if he could find the name of the Comedian a week after the Red Hood tried to steal Ace Chemicals, then Bruce should also be aware of the existence of previous Jokers, and thus, the existence of Thre Jokers wouldn't be a surprise to him.
    Unless he encountered them a handful of times but thought it was just Joker having an off day