Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    1. You get to choose if this is in continuity or not, so you could just say things played out differently in this continuity.

2. Bruce said he looked into the identity of the Joker immediately. It stands to reason that he found out about the family that way.

As for the Joker, he probably didn't care.
    This doesn't make sense IMO - look at it this way:

Batman encounters the Joker and discovers his identity
    It stands to reason that he finds out that the Joker's wife had died, sending him spiraling down into "Red Hood"..hood and into madness.

then, I see 2 options:
    1.if the cover-up holds up under scrutiny, there should be no *reason* for Batman to look into a civilian death
    or
    2. it the cover-up raises suspicion enough to make Batman look into it, it should also catch the Joker's eye, especially if his first persona was like the Criminal's (which according to the story, it had been)

As for the Joker not caring, this story literally shows us that he *does* care and think about his "dead" family..

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Unless Batman simply found out who the joker was and spoke to the police officers/detectives who wrote the report on the incident relating to the death of his wife and the police officer told Batman that his family wasn't dead and they helped fake it?
    ..which would make the cover-up quite shaky, and also connecting the "runaway" wife to the Joker, as well as basically exposing who the Joker was for at least several people..
    Also, if that were true, the Joker would have done the same, torturing the Police officers for the information..

I feel like Johns has turned the Joker into the new "Doombot." No matter what Joker does or did, another writer could always say, "that wasn't the real Joker" to get out of any inconsistencies. I'm sure he thinks it's a cool in-story way of explaining his "non-origin" origin, but I think it just dumbs him down a bit, like giving Wolverine the name "James Howlett." Nobody needed that.

I'm not really keeping track of Jokers, but which Mr J was with Harley? Was it more than one of them? (which would obviously make him even more sick if Harley didn't know)

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

From what I could gather, the Comedian is meant to be the Joker who actually did most of the stuff the Joker is known for and the one fighting Batman the longest.

Again, invalidating the whole point of having multiple Jokers to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    From what I could gather, the Comedian is meant to be the Joker who actually did most of the stuff the Joker is known for and the one fighting Batman the longest.

Again, invalidating the whole point of having multiple Jokers to begin with.
    It was always going to be a hard sell trying to make Three Jokers seem like a more valuable element of the mythos than just one Joker.

Incredible Member

All geoff johns did was lift various plot point from the Lego Batman movie.....

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RonG View Post
    I'm have 2 questions regarding the "Joker chronology" after the real Joker stands revealed:

1. Batman mentioned that the Criminal resembled the Joker he and Robin had met in their earliest adventures - but if the Comedian was the real (only) one, when did he *have the time* to behave like the Criminal?
    If TKJ is what really happened (in the continuity of this story, at least), then the origin happened as shown and the Joker started out "crazier" than how the Criminal appeared to be..

2. How did Batman find out about the Joker's family? this happened (about) parallel to the flashbacks in TKJ, where there was no Joker, just Red Hood -- even after finding out the Joker's identity, why would Batman think that there was something not-as-it-seems in the first place with the tragedy that turned this man into the Joker?
    Also, if there were any loose ends in the wife's death report (or something that would cause Batman to look into it), wouldn't the Joker also find that out?
    The Criminal isn't that similar to Golden Age Joker, he's not serious all the time or hurt when he laughs. He laughs about the same amount as a normal human, and he grins a lot. He likes jokes or fun thoughts like making a set of henchmen named after cards. He's just not as chaotic or clownish as the other two.
    The Comedian is capable of not smiling and serious contemplation, such as in The Killing Joke when he's thinking of his wife. I can see him being The Criminal in the past, just not The Criminal in Three Jokers.
    So the problem is more how The Criminal is depicted in this story.

Number 2 is just bad

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm have 2 questions regarding the "Joker chronology" after the real Joker stands revealed:

1. Batman mentioned that the Criminal resembled the Joker he and Robin had met in their earliest adventures - but if the Comedian was the real (only) one, when did he *have the time* to behave like the Criminal?
    If TKJ is what really happened (in the continuity of this story, at least), then the origin happened as shown and the Joker started out "crazier" than how the Criminal appeared to be..

2. How did Batman find out about the Joker's family? this happened (about) parallel to the flashbacks in TKJ, where there was no Joker, just Red Hood -- even after finding out the Joker's identity, why would Batman think that there was something not-as-it-seems in the first place with the tragedy that turned this man into the Joker?
    Also, if there were any loose ends in the wife's death report (or something that would cause Batman to look into it), wouldn't the Joker also find that out?
    As I said earlier, the answer to all questions about plot and characterization is the same: it doesn't matter because the story was poorly written and executed.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    As I said earlier, the answer to all questions about plot and characterization is the same: it doesn't matter because the story was poorly written and executed.
    It's not like Johns has years to figure everything out and write a coherent story and edit and re-edit it and make sure that it was executed well and written well or anything, lol

And with Didio gone + this being out of continuity I'd guess that nobody forced him to re-write anything.

I don't know, I think that everyone who read Darkseid War can see clearly that Batman wasn't testing the chair when he asked for Joker's identity. But sure, we can pretend that he was. We can also rationalize how Comedian was more like a Criminal in his early days and so on. But whats the point? Even if it had no internal logic or continuity problems it would still be just an average story.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    And with Didio gone + this being out of continuity I'd guess that nobody forced him to re-write anything.

I don't know, I think that everyone who read Darkseid War can see clearly that Batman wasn't testing the chair when he asked for Joker's identity. But sure, we can pretend that he was. We can also rationalize how Comedian was more like a Criminal in his early days and so on. But whats the point? Even if it had no internal logic or continuity problems it would still be just an average story.
    Johns comes up with these big concepts but he needs a writer who understands the basic mechanics of storytelling to make them work imo. Same thing with Doomsday Clock tbh, some of the ideas in that I can see working if they were handled better and more competently.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/batm...s-jason-fabok/

I sincerely doubt March considering it took 4 or so years for the first one to come out, and I am saying this as someone who liked three jokers.

Edit: March was my misunderstanding, when reading the article I thought it meant coming out at the same time as the omniverse one-shot. That was my mistake, apologize for the confusion.
    Last edited by sifighter; 11-10-2020 at 10:38 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

This doesn't make sense IMO - look at it this way:

Batman encounters the Joker and discovers his identity
    It stands to reason that he finds out that the Joker's wife had died, sending him spiraling down into "Red Hood"..hood and into madness.

then, I see 2 options:
    1.if the cover-up holds up under scrutiny, there should be no *reason* for Batman to look into a civilian death
    He’s The Batman. Worlds greatest detective.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/batm...s-jason-fabok/

I sincerely doubt March considering it took 4 or so years for the first one to come out, and I am saying this as someone who liked three jokers.
    Furthermore, Fabok already said he was done with DC now that Three Jokers was over.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Furthermore, Fabok already said he was done with DC now that Three Jokers was over.
    Fabok says he wasn't closing any Door. So, it is possible DC gets him for a sequel.

Also, BC doesn't say a sequel of Three Jokers will be released on March.

It says Batman Three Jokers will be part of the continuity for the relaunch on March, which wouldn't be so surprising considering how profitable was Three Jokers for DC.

A sequel oneshot for Three Jokers is mentioned in the article, but it doesn't mention the month.
    Last edited by Konja7; 11-10-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Fabok says he wasn't closing any Door. So, it is possible DC gets him for a sequel.

Also, BC doesn't say a sequel of Three Jokers will be released on March.

It says Batman Three Jokers will be part of the continuity for the relaunch on March, which wouldn't be so surprising considering how profitable was Three Jokers for DC.

A sequel oneshot for Three Jokers is mentioned in the article, but it doesn't mention the month.
    You know what you are right, I assumed March at the same time as whatever the Omni-verse special is supposed to be. My mistake
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.