Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    If the story itself had been even a quarter as great as it was hyped up to be people would be content with what was there on the page but because the story was so flat and pointless everyone one has time to glom on to peripheral flaws.
    I can see your perspective there. I thought it wasn't great as it was hyped either, but I also I think it's probably Johns's best Batman story, not as bad as I thought, despite its unnecessity and other failings.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I can see your perspective there. I thought it wasn't great as it was hyped either, but I also I think it's probably Johns's best Batman story, not as bad as I thought, despite its unnecessity and other failings.
    It had its moments, I loved his reconciliation with Joe Chill for instance, but as a cohesive whole? It was a mess. This was a book that needed a strong editor.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It had its moments, I loved his reconciliation with Joe Chill for instance, but as a cohesive whole? It was a mess. This was a book that needed a strong editor.
    The same can be said of many books.

Extraordinary Member

One big problem with the Barbara-Jason-thing in this book is that sofar no one ever really fleshed out the relationship they had before TKJ and DitF, and where Jason was during TKJ (it happend slightly before DitF in the original comics) and if and how he was effected by what happend to Barbara.

Incredible Member

In Scott Beatty's Gotham Knights run we actually do see some of that. A pre-Killing Joke team-up as Robin and Batgirl, Barbara tutoring Jason, more context to Babs attending J's funeral. But in the original 1980s comics I don't think they had ANY significant interactions - though Batgirl did appear towards the end of the Gerry Conway arc that introduced Jason.
    Last edited by PurpleGlovez; 10-31-2020 at 08:48 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    In Scott Beatty's Gotham Knights run we actually do see some of that. A pre-Killing Joke team-up as Robin and Batgirl, Barbara tutoring Jason, more context as to Babs attending J's funeral.
    That story is pretty short and Barbara tutoring Jason is mentioned but never shown. And the

As foundation for their relation that's imo to thin.

Continuity wise it is also a little bit wired, Batman is trying to find Joker during this issue, but in both TKJ and DitF Joker is in prison at the beginning of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    But in the original 1980s comics I don't think they had ANY significant interactions
    The met iirc only in a short flashback in one Annual, that was written shortly after TKJ and DitF.

So, if this mini wasn't in continuity, but obviously Darkseid War was, does that mean there are still three Jokers running around?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    So, if this mini wasn't in continuity, but obviously Darkseid War was, does that mean there are still three Jokers running around?
    it should, but no, they're just gonna pretend like the scene never happened
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

So, any chance that this might make a good animated DTV in the next ten years?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don’t know about “good” (depends on how far they’re willing to stray from the original) but I’d say there’s a fairly strong chance we’ll see the animated DYV version by 2030 made.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I don’t know about “good” (depends on how far they’re willing to stray from the original) but I’d say there’s a fairly strong chance we’ll see the animated DYV version by 2030 made.
    The further they stray the better the chances are that it would actually be good...which is the inverse of any other adaptation.

Mighty Member

why did it have Alfred.When does it take place.It has to be before city of Bane

When this was announced my reaction was “what’s the point?”. After reading it my reaction is “what was the point?”

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post

He was surprised by the reveal.

Just accept it, Johns either retconned himself or forgot about it.
    It can actually be interpreted as Batman testing the knowledge of the Mobius Chair, which is a very Batman thing to do. He’s using a device that is supposed to have almost absolutely knowledge but he still wasn’t convinced it knew more than he did. He asked it questions that only he knew the answers to but was shocked when it gave him an unexpected response.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I guess if they wanted to make a animated thematic trilogy continuing from Killing Joke and Under the Red Hood...but that doesn't mean it would be any good.

Even though I didn't think it was a particularly amazing story, I actually think that it could be adapted well into a movie directly. It's shorter than most comics which means that it wouldn't have to get cut down like the New Frontier or split into two parts like the Dark Knight Returns. It feels like exactly the right length. And while Fabok's detailed and gorgeous art can't be replicated in animation, the layouts are straightfoward enough and not as reliant on stark images as Bolland in the Killing Joke. So it wouldn't force any lingering shots that don't hold up to the original.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)