Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    In Death Metal #1 Wally explicitly lays out how Dr. Manhattan tried to use the connective energy to fix the multiverse but it didn't work out as planned. I just don't know how you can read Death Metal and say Doomsday Clock is not relevant. Also, ever heard of death of the author? At any rate, no one can erase the fact that the three Jokers mystery was set up in canon. That is all I'm saying.
    we've been through a couple of crisis tier events since it was last referenced so its an easy thing to wipe from continuity

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Three Jokers is it’s own thing.
    You have multiple people arguing through the thread that Three Jokers will sell like hotcakes in trades because it is the direct sequel to The Killing Joke

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    If I'm remembering right, DK3 sold 400,000 copies because they shipped it out with 400,000 variants.
    And how many variants covers do you think Three Jokers has? And mind you, that was after Fabok said it wouldn't have any variant because they wanted the series to sell on its own merits and not gimmicks.

Unfortunately, I feel like the way this last issue ended sort of limits the possible ways that main continuity could piggyback off of it.

- There's only one Joker left, so you can't do anything with the other two. In fact, you can't do anything with the total TWENTY-EIGHT Jokers that were revealed, because all of them except the final one are dead.

- The remaining Joker has no desire to make new Jokers, HE wants to be the only one, so there's no longer really a threat of more Jokers being created.

- Joe Chill is dead now, so any interesting scenes that main continuity could have done between him and Bruce are impossible.

Other than bringing back Jeannie and Joker Jr., as well as possibly milking the Clown's murder for more Jason angst (and honestly he doesn't really NEED any more) Three Joker hasn't left any obvious threads for main continuity to pick up.

It's a shame, because I really do think this could have an interesting impact on main continuity. I can easily imagine Joe Chill being involved in the current canon where Alfred is dead, where Bruce continues to make visits to Chill, finding in him a substitute father figure in the wake of Alfred's death, in a twisted and messed-up kind of way.

I originally really wanted one of the 3 Jokers to be un-Jokerized and successfully rehabilitated, which would have been an amazing setup to explore a Joker redemption arc in the future while keeping another Joker active as a villain, and a counterpoint to Jason's "killing the Joker is the only solution" philosophy. But no, it's almost like Johns was so desperate to have this possibly be considered "in continuity" that he throttled most of the creative and unique plot elements that main continuity could have drawn from.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    And how many variants covers do you think Three Jokers has? And mind you, that was after Fabok said it wouldn't have any variant because they wanted the series to sell on its own merits and not gimmicks.
    There’s what, like a Joker cover and a Batfamily cover for every issue plus some slight tweaks of each one right? Versus tons of variants that have a ton of variety from a wide range of high profile artists like Jim Lee, Frank Miller, Greg Capullo, Rafael Albuquerque, and more.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by spatterdasher View Post
    Unfortunately, I feel like the way this last issue ended sort of limits the possible ways that main continuity could piggyback off of it.

- There's only one Joker left, so you can't do anything with the other two. In fact, you can't do anything with the total TWENTY-EIGHT Jokers that were revealed, because all of them except the final one are dead.

- The remaining Joker has no desire to make new Jokers, HE wants to be the only one, so there's no longer really a threat of more Jokers being created.

- Joe Chill is dead now, so any interesting scenes that main continuity could have done between him and Bruce are impossible.

Other than bringing back Jeannie and Joker Jr., as well as possibly milking the Clown's murder for more Jason angst (and honestly he doesn't really NEED any more) Three Joker hasn't left any obvious threads for main continuity to pick up.

It's a shame, because I really do think this could have an interesting impact on main continuity. I can easily imagine Joe Chill being involved in the current canon where Alfred is dead, where Bruce continues to make visits to Chill, finding in him a substitute father figure in the wake of Alfred's death, in a twisted and messed-up kind of way.

I originally really wanted one of the 3 Jokers to be un-Jokerized and successfully rehabilitated, which would have been an amazing setup to explore a Joker redemption arc in the future while keeping another Joker active as a villain, and a counterpoint to Jason's "killing the Joker is the only solution" philosophy. But no, it's almost like Johns was so desperate to have this possibly be considered "in continuity" that he throttled most of the creative and unique plot elements that main continuity could have drawn from.
    Those would have been some great avenues to potentially explore. I agree with you.

Astonishing Member

I don't know if this question has already been asked, but I get the feeling that this story will be easy enough to ignore going forward, right? Because I mean, prior to Johns' reveal of three possible jokers, I always assumed there was only one, anyway, but now we're back to one again. And I hadn't a clue as to what the current status of Joe Chill just before this mini, so I just assumed he was already dead.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I don't know if this question has already been asked, but I get the feeling that this story will be easy enough to ignore going forward, right? Because I mean, prior to Johns' reveal of three possible jokers, I always assumed there was only one, anyway, but now we're back to one again. And I hadn't a clue as to what the current status of Joe Chill just before this mini, so I just assumed he was already dead.
    trust, this story can be easily ignored and will be easily forgotten outside of fans talking about how disappointing it was.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I thought that Joe Chill was dead in Morrison’s run. Referenced that he committed suicide in RIP or something.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    trust, this story can be easily ignored and will be easily forgotten outside of fans talking about how disappointing it was.
    At this point, I think the thing that has the biggest chance to get carried over to the main comics, is Fabok's costume for Jason. Terrible as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    There’s what, like a Joker cover and a Batfamily cover for every issue plus some slight tweaks of each one right? Versus tons of variants that have a ton of variety from a wide range of high profile artists like Jim Lee, Frank Miller, Greg Capullo, Rafael Albuquerque, and more.
    I'm not sure if there is a point in arguing who had more and better variant covers. I brought up DK3 only as an example that book selling well doesn't automatically mean that it will be integrated into main continuity.

At this point, I think the thing that has the biggest chance to get carried over to the main comics, is Fabok's costume for Jason. Terrible as it is.
    I actually really liked Fabok's take Jason's look in this series, but I don't want (or really see) them rolling it into the main comic continuity.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I'd say that's more likely for Batgirl if I'm being honest. Or at least I hope it is.

I've seen it almost universally praised aside from diehard Burnside fans.

I love the designs for both Red Hood and Batgirl in this. Classic and to the roots of the characters, but still modern and cool-looking.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm not sure if there is a point in arguing who had more and better variant covers. I brought up DK3 only as an example that book selling well doesn't automatically mean that it will be integrated into main continuity.
    Oh I wasn't arguing about that being the reason for it counting. Moreso just that I think this had more genuine hype behind it than DK3. But regardless, I don't think the two are remotely comparable. One is the third installment of a series that has been elseworlds from the get-go. The other picks up the threads from an in-canon story and largely takes place in a status quo familiar to most comics readers and puts all of its toys nicely back in place.

Ya, this was mostly self contained, and there was noting particularly offensive or controversial that what does it matter if anything is or isn’t carried over. It your worried about about a particular character arc or characterization. These were their core loops in general.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

This a good ending to a thoroughly unnecessary story.

The first issue was good, second was like "meh" filler, and this third issue was satisfying halfway creative end to this very unnecessary story (that shouldn't impact anything).

What saved this story was the well-executed trauma exploration and themes Johns pulled off.

Criminal Joker's Joe Chill "better Joker" plan just made so little sense though, rang very untrue. It was clearly something convoluted that Johns felt he had to create in order to work Chill in and set up Comedian Joker taking Criminal out.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”