Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    and she has for most of her history
    she was introduced having a crush on Bruce and that got adapted into batman 66, BTAS, The killing joke movie and Batman Beyond
    she has a relationship with dick that has been touched on as amicable exes in almost everything aside from the above instances
    she has a sort of crush on Jason in the comics now
    she only married tim in arkham knight but that's barely tim and more of an amalgamation of all robins turned into space marine tim alpha male

This isn't even the biggest issue with the story
    This whole series was a nothing burger if Batman always knew who Joker was then why is he trying to pull on the mystery aspect of this story
    Seriously, she is crushing on Jason now? So in this continuity, she had a thing with Dick, with Luke and now she want one with Jason.... She really is one of the most fickle character in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Johns said during DC Fandome that they were scrapping that part since they wanted a more grounded story.
    Honestly I’m kind of glad they did that, I kind of agree that it would not have fit the tone of the story at all if the Mobius Chair was in the story.

Barbara: “So how do we know there are three jokers?”

Bruce: “Because while I was fighting both Darkseid and the Anti-monitor with the Justice League I sat in a god chair of knowledge and asked it who Joker was.”

Jason: “.....you’re just f$&king with us aren’t you?”
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Comics continuity does not really matter in this case. What matters is that we got bunch of writers thinking that Barbara should be romantically involved with the entire Batfamily.
    It’s like soap opera’s. She’s been around sound long that enough interpretations have that happen. It’s not like they had her hop around from story to story. She’s dated Bruce in an alternate continuity that has a completely different set up. She hasn’t actively dated Dick in decades and even then it was mostly a retconned love thing that never really existed in the 60’s/70’s. And it’s 2020 and done writer thought her having a shared experience with one of her partners could lead to some attraction.

It’s not really a big deal. If you dive to deep into it all of a sudden you have Talia hooking up with Bruce and Jason, Catwoman hooking up with Bruce and Dick. Bruce hooking up with nearly every female villain.

Astonishing Member

I have mixed feelings about the ending. On the whole, this has been an entertaining story, but it really hasn't stuck the landing. The first issue did a BRILLIANT job setting things up, the second issue did a decent job ramping up the action and building up to some bih reveal...and this issue is kinda meh. I mean, don't get me wrong, it has some interesting ideas and great moments, but on the whole it just doesn't feel like either a consistent story nor an impactful one.

The Jason-Barbara thing made sense in context last issue, but Jason now 'in love' with Barbara and pining for her seems a bit...weird. How well do they even know each other, really? (I guess Jason's tenure as Robin coincided with the end of Barbara's time as Batgirl? And they've since met occasionally since Jason's 'resurrection'?) I like the idea of both of them bonding together over their traumas, but this seems more like a way to 'ship' them than anything else.

I kinda appreciate the meta nature of the 'reveal'. The story played with our expectations and seemed to be building up to some big reveal about Joe Chill's 'true' motivations and his connection to the Joker...only to reveal that there is no 'big reveal' there and that the Joker (and Geoff Johns) was just messing with Batman (and us). Its both simultaneously brilliant and more than a little off-putting!

A lot of us expected some kind of lingering ambiguity over which Joker was 'real' and...I'm not really sure how to feel about this because I'm not really sure if ambiguity is really what they went for. The Comedian being the last Joker standing does seem to imply that he's the 'real' one (though he does hint at the possibility that the Criminal was the real one), and the TKJ origin seemingly being true supports that. Then again, the TKJ origin could, I guess, theoretically also apply to the Criminal? Or the Clown? Maybe Batman knows the Joker's real name but isn't sure which of the three is that guy?

There's a bit of a chronological issue as well in that we're told that the Joker has been around for 'decades' (read: at least 20 years), but the kid we see at the end can't be more than 10 or 12.

Regarding that twist - its a neat twist but somehow, as the 'final twist' of this story, it just seemed to come out of nowhere. I'd have LOVED it if this had been a one-shot or something. Or maybe even a miniseries or arc about the Joker discovering that his wife and kid are alive somewhere. Possibly seeking revenge against his wife for faking her death and setting him down the path to becoming the Joker. Or something. The idea has some potential, I'll give them that. It seems almost a shame to squander it as a rather abrupt coda to a very different story.

Looking at the series as a whole, its hard to see what the point was, beyond the gimmick of 'three Jokers'. Was it to highlight that anyone can be the Joker, a reinforcement of the 'one bad day' idea from TKJ? Is it about Bruce, Barbara and Jason confronting their demons? Or about the true identity/nature of the Joker? Or all just one big prank by the Joker? Because we have bits and pieces of all these ideas scattered through the story, withour any indication as to what this is really all about.

So on the whole, an enjoyable ride, but it stopped short of being really good, let alone great.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Lovely art, some interesting ideas(despite some of them contradicting with previous stories), i loved Bruce and Joe Chill part of the story. If we had to keep a part of this into the main continuity, i would choose the closure between Chill and Bruce.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Kind of confused with this whole thing.

Now we have the comedian that's left. What did the comedian think he accomplished? He didn't do jack crap in my books. Barbara had a horrible experience but in the end she came out stronger. Bruce now has closure from his parent's death. This Joker seems more like an itch than actual pain. And he was actually the first Joker? I figured the Criminal would be.

What 'feats' did the clown and criminal accomplish?

I feel the recent Death in the Family Movie did a much better job at this.

spoilers:
    However, I enjoyed seeing the end with the comedian's family and how they have a happy ending.
    end of spoilers
    The whole story is basically an elaborate trolling scheme by Comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    Lovely art, some interesting ideas(despite some of them contradicting with previous stories), i loved Bruce and Joe Chill part of the story. If we had to keep a part of this into the main continuity, i would choose the closure between Chill and Bruce.
    Absolutely, this was the best part of the whole thing.

When it comes to Joker's wife and kid being alive, I'm kinda torn on it.
    On one hand, I think Joker's identity should remain a mistery, on the other, it's something that has never been done with Joker and would make an interesting follow up story if done right

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Yikes.

I really hope as little as possible from Three Jokers will be canon in the future.

With that and the upcoming Bat/Cat book, it does seem like Batman's grat graphic novel/maxi series won't be great this year and the next...
    On the other hand, I feel like King's Bat/Cat book only benefits from THREE JOKERS being such a trashfire. No matter how far off the rails it goes, people can always look at it and say, "Yeah, it's not great, but it's not THREE JOKERS bad."

So the winner? BATMAN/CATWOMAN.

The loser? Take your pick: the readers, Geoff Johns's legacy, the Bat-mythos, Gaggy...

so will the Justice League be updated on this development? In case anyone else runs into any Jokers in their cities.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

So for those who REALLY didn’t like it...what would you have preferred to have seen? Or what direction would you have liked it all to take?

I sort the main message would be similar to the Bat-Legacy. That it’s what the person represents, not who they are...and that would open up to the idea that there’s more than just the 3 jokers and be left with an ambiguous ending as to if there ever really was an original.
    However, we sort of got a definitive answer...which is just abit odd.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    So for those who REALLY didn’t like it...what would you have preferred to have seen? Or what direction would you have liked it all to take?
    Nothing at all. The concept was dumb from the get-go and the execution failed to deliver a reason this story should be told. In the end, this was yet another vanity project of Johns meant to stroke his ego rather than tell a compelling story.

Just to preface this: I have suffered from Batman and Joker fatigue for ages now, so my view on this series may be a bit biased!!

SPOILERS OF COURSE!

I was disappointed. I haven't been too interested in Batman since Snyder's run ended and I had hoped this would bring me back into the fold a bit, mainly because it's a bit of a stand alone.

I thought the first issue had some brilliant set up, and the other two issues were big let downs. My main feeling at the end of it all is that it seems pointless. Yet another story where Joker wants to prove he's Batman's main purpose/enemy/problem. Another story where Batman seems to know more than we expected because "He's Batman". It felt like Johns teased this four years ago, but didn't really know how it was going to end, and therefore had to just come up with something. It seemed pointless to even have three jokers, because we're left with what I'd argue is the most well known Joker in the end. Although the Joe Chill stuff was nice in issue 3, I didn't feel like it gave me a new perspective on the character - I had always felt he wasn't an inherently evil villain. It felt off to just have three of the Bat family involved (I know they're the most affected by Joker, but I missed Dick and Damian). Even the romantic subplot felt pointless because Jason says he'll never mention it again if she doesn't reply, then his letter gets thrown in the bin lol.

Overall, it just feels as though we're back to normal, but the Joker has been dilluted even more due to the fact that he's been multiple different people over the years. I didn't mind the twist about his family, although I don't know if it would necessarily matter to Joker that they're still alive. We'll see about that one. And oh my God, Batman claiming to know who he is since he first met him is just... lazy.

All in all, it disappointed me, it felt pointless.

I do hope others enjoyed it more though xox
    Last edited by Jack The Tripper; 10-27-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    The Jason-Barbara thing made sense in context last issue, but Jason now 'in love' with Barbara and pining for her seems a bit...weird. How well do they even know each other, really? (I guess Jason's tenure as Robin coincided with the end of Barbara's time as Batgirl? And they've since met occasionally since Jason's 'resurrection'?)
    Not well enough to let go of who he is to be with her because she's understanding. What you said was pretty much it. By this story logic he should be falling in love with his Outlaws mates and New 52 Tim

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post

I sort the main message would be similar to the Bat-Legacy. That it’s what the person represents, not who they are...and that would open up to the idea that there’s more than just the 3 jokers and be left with an ambiguous ending as to if there ever really was an original.
    However, we sort of got a definitive answer...which is just abit odd.
    Given the Joker's fractured psyche, I think it would have been better (if not more expected/predictable) if we'd seen a multiple personality disorder take on the Joker, with everything from the mobster of the 20s through the dude who wore his own face as a mask for a while being the same person, but with each a distinct personality and getting into conflicts within the Joker's mind, akin to what we've seen in characters like Crazy Jane and the Hulk. Maybe three personalities are left and they go to "war" with each other, with Gotham as their battlefield, each personality trying to eradicate some element dear to the other personalities, including their "greatest hits" like Barbara and Jason. Batman not only has to protect his allies and the city, but find a way to broker "peace" between the Joker's personas (assuming they haven't wiped themselves out) so that the physical Joker is a singular version of pure insanity, versus three separate versions.

And absolutely cut the part of Batman knowing who the Joker is. That's garbage. Should still be a total mystery to Batman.

Astonishing Member

I'll say what everyone should hopefully be saying about this, though, and that's that Fabok is just a superstar and with all the time in the world to finish a story he puts out work that's got serious lasting power.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com