Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Doomsday Clock also sold extremely well and I have yet to see any of it being acknowledged anywhere.
    Give it more time and I think we will see more influence from it. Right now in Death Metal Wally took on Manhattan's powers and then the Batman That Laughs took Manhattan's powers too. So it had some effect. It was also meant to bring back things like the JSA and Legion, but delays kind of messed with it. Seems a lot has been put on hold because of the pandemic and DC focusing on Death Metal stuff right now. The big reason we are getting so much Metal stuff is because that is a series that sold even more than Doomsday Clock. It sold a ton.

But I think Three Jokers #1 sold double what Doomsday Clock #1 sold. Doomsday Clock #1 sold 157,714 and DC said that Three Jokers was over 300K. That is a massive number.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Give it more time and I think we will see more influence from it. Right now in Death Metal Wally took on Manhattan's powers and then the Batman That Laughs took Manhattan's powers too. So it had some effect. It was also meant to bring back things like the JSA and Legion, but delays kind of messed with it. Seems a lot has been put on hold because of the pandemic and DC focusing on Death Metal stuff right now. The big reason we are getting so much Metal stuff is because that is a series that sold even more than Doomsday Clock. It sold a ton.

But I think Three Jokers #1 sold double what Doomsday Clock #1 sold. Doomsday Clock #1 sold 157,714 and DC said that Three Jokers was over 300K. That is a massive number.
    Wally's power were remnants that the chair absorbed when Manhattan killed Metron in Darkseid War, and The Batman Who Laughs own Manhattan powers come from a dark multiverse Batman that replicated the experiment that gave John his powers. All of which are entirely unrelated to Doomsday Clock.

Now about the 300k sales, that number not only came from Jim Lee himself (and weeks before issue 1 actually hit retailers) but it came up in an interview about the Future of DC in the midst of the mass layoffs. So I'll take that number with a truckload of salt.

Wally's power were remnants that the chair absorbed when Manhattan killed Metron in Darkseid War, and The Batman Who Laughs own Manhattan powers come from a dark multiverse Batman that replicated the experiment that gave John his powers. All of which are entirely unrelated to Doomsday Clock.
    The Kents are alive again which was a direct result of Doomsday Clock.

And while it was in an odd way Doomsday Clock was directly referenced in Justice League #39.

Justice League 39 - Doomsday Clock.jpg
    Last edited by Tenzel Kim; 10-28-2020 at 06:12 PM.

I mean, that panel explicitly saying that some events are completely disconnected from canon while depicting a scene from Doomsday Clock doesn't seem to me like a st ong argument about the series being canon.

And the Kent's being alive again is most likely going to explained by Wally's actions in Flash Forward.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

It took a while before Joker became the sadistic torturer he was in Killing Joke when that came out so it's gonna take a while before people start writing Jason being in love with Babs or bringing Joker's wife back. The current writers know who the characters are so they're not beholden to this new lore.

Later writers though, in 5-10-20 years may start deriving from Three Jokers once they start printing and reprinting the trade, aimed at casual audience who doesn't read that much comic but will pick this up as a spiritual follow up to the popular Killing Joke and Death in The Family because we know that's what DC's gonna market it.

Just like Before Watchmen and Doomsday Clock, the prequel and sequel to Watchmen are flying off the shelves, right? Or Dark Knight Returns 3.

Incredible Member

Fabok explicitly said this wasn't in continuity and that it was entirely up to other writers whether they acknowledge or not the events of Three Jokers.
    With all respect, he doesn't get to just declare it non-canon. No one can stamp out the fact that this story was set up in Darkseid War and referenced in Rebirth and Dark Days. Also, Doomsday Clock is 100% valid to the current goings-on of the DCU. Yes, it may have apparently happened on a peripheral timeline, but to just say "not in continuity, lol" and disregard it wholesale is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    With all respect, he doesn't get to just declare it non-canon. No one can stamp out the fact that this story was set up in Darkseid War and referenced in Rebirth and Dark Days. Also, Doomsday Clock is 100% valid to the current goings-on of the DCU. Yes, it may have apparently happened on a peripheral timeline, but to just say "not in continuity, lol" and disregard it wholesale is absurd.
    I mean the stories being published right now are disregarding Doomsday Clock wholesale, and not only that, most of the hyped events in the last year's like Heroes in Crisis and Event Leviathan.

Fabok is the co-creator so unless editorial explicitly disregards his statements, he absolutely can declare the series as non canon.

Incredible Member

In Death Metal #1 Wally explicitly lays out how Dr. Manhattan tried to use the connective energy to fix the multiverse but it didn't work out as planned. I just don't know how you can read Death Metal and say Doomsday Clock is not relevant. Also, ever heard of death of the author? At any rate, no one can erase the fact that the three Jokers mystery was set up in canon. That is all I'm saying.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

No one can erase that the mystery was set up in canon but they can ignore the fact the mystery was ever resolved (or that there was ever a mystery at all). Which wouldn’t be that hard since I don’t believe there being multiple jokers has been referenced since the New 52 ended.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

It's sad how disappointing the last issue is - on so many levels. I can't really blame Geoff Johns though. The problems I have with Three Jokers are reoccuring problems I have with DC comics.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Just like Before Watchmen and Doomsday Clock, the prequel and sequel to Watchmen are flying off the shelves, right? Or Dark Knight Returns 3.
    Three Jokers is it’s own thing.

If I'm not mistaken first issue of Dark Knight: Master Race sold over 400k units. I don't think that anything from it has been used in main DC continuity yet.

If I'm remembering right, DK3 sold 400,000 copies because they shipped it out with 400,000 variants.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Would this really be that hard to reference if they even wanted to? Besides the mobius chair connection this does not really have all that many fantastical elements or elements outside the ordinary that it could be briefly mentioned. At best I would think it would be easy to reference the death of Joe Chill and that Joker used Joker Toxin or chemicals to make other people look like the Joker, which is not the first time this has happened by the way, just that this is the first time the ones transformed actually thought they were Joker...not counting however the Batman Beyond return of the joker movie worked of course.

I mean the pool scenes in issue 2 with all the newly jokerized people is pretty similar to the scene in Joker: man who laughs except the bodies don’t get up in that one and even Joker war had it end with Joker killing someone by turning him into a body double. At best now we can say, if you get hit with Joker toxin you can either die or be turned into a joker.
    Last edited by sifighter; 10-29-2020 at 06:56 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.