Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

What are you guys worried about? DC comics doesn't really have any kind of continuity anymore anyway. Just take this story at face value for whether or not it's a good read. The future will be whatever...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    What are you guys worried about? DC comics doesn't really have any kind of continuity anymore anyway. Just take this story at face value for whether or not it's a good read. The future will be whatever...
    This is the right answer.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Continuity and shared universe stuff has become my least favourite trope.

It certainly become the worst aspect of DC.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Anyway, this does have a continuity. Specifically:
    - Batman 1940 #1
    - Detective Comics #475
    - The Killing Joke
    - A Death in The Family
    - Under The Red Hood
    - New 52 Red Hood
    - New 52 Batgirl
    - Darkseid War
    - DC Universe Rebirth #1

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Anyway, this does have a continuity. Specifically:
    - Batman 1940 #1
    - Detective Comics #475
    - The Killing Joke
    - A Death in The Family
    - Under The Red Hood
    - New 52 Red Hood
    - New 52 Batgirl
    - Darkseid War
    - DC Universe Rebirth #1
    Much too complicated for me. As a stupid person I read it as everything written by Johns is in canon (except his Earth 1 which is separate). Also everything actually mentioned in 3 Jokers in panel is canon. Everything else (different writers, series or continuitys) is not. Now I can enjoy it.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Much too complicated for me. As a stupid person I read it as everything written by Johns is in canon (except his Earth 1 which is separate). Also everything actually mentioned in 3 Jokers in panel is canon. Everything else (different writers, series or continuitys) is not. Now I can enjoy it.
    Yeah, that's the easier, smarter, TLDR version ^^

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

On the issue of continuity/canon, I think Johns smartly ultimately said "just f*** continuity, let's just do our story the best we can" (Fabok said Johns basically told him this btw). I mostly think that was the smart from many angles, including sparing some readers from being forced to accept this story and its (possible) concrete explanations of The Joker.

But no one, not the creative team or fans/readers or DC editorial, should much compare Three Jokers lack of concern for continuity to The Killing Joke. TKJ was actually pretty continuity light, and DC editorial did what it needed to do to pave the way (retire Batgirl, enforce the oval chest symbol requirement onto Bolland) for TKJ to fit into then-continuity.

Johns and Fabok and DC editorial didn't work together here to give much or any of a plausible opening for this to fit current continuity. Superheavy removed Bruce's old accumulated body scars (which I believe King stuck to), Alfred is gone, Batman's oval costume, etc, etc.

Three Jokers is compared in many ways to The Killing Joke, in terms of feel and approach and theme and all, but I'm just pointing out how the approaches differed quite a bit as far as "can or will this be continuity."
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-26-2020 at 08:02 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Just read 3 Jokers. I thought it I would like it, but now that I’ve read it, I’m not sure why I thought that.

I guess I don’t get the point, really. Maybe the other issues will help in that regard, but I’m not so sure. If this is just a way to explain how/why the Joker has been portrayed differently over the years, then you might as well do the same with Batman, and Superman, and so many others. All characters change over time — especially the ones that are 80 years old...

It also kinda robs any one Joker of the collective edge of THE Joker. The Joker killed Jason AND shot and paralyzed Babs (they got better), along with so many other things, so why divide up his kill-count like that? It just makes each one of them less than the whole.

I'm guessing the names:

The Criminal - Jack Napier

The Clown - Arthur Fleck

The Comedian - Joseph Kerr

BANNED

I thought it was alright. Really liked the art especially.

I wonder if this is Johns' last comic book work for DC. There is nothing announced beyond this I believe.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Jason Fabok

The critics and the fans have spoken. You've made this the biggest book of Geoff's, Brad's and my career. Thank you for your kind words and love you've been outpouring over the last few days. Im so thankful for your support. #batman #Joker #ThreeJokers @DCComics @thedcnation

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    All continuity stuff aside, one thing's for sure, DC will make a ton of money off these three issues and I think overall it's been well received. Only time will tell if we are in the presence of the birth of a work style "Year One", "The Killing Joke" "Death in the Family", etc.

so, will Lazarus pits find their way into the mix of this story? I wonder how that would affect any, uh, Jokers who seemingly passed on.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I wouldn’t be surprised if this ends with all 3 Jokers dead and introducing/teasing a “new” one.