Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Looke 90 View Post
    All continuity stuff aside, one thing's for sure, DC will make a ton of money off these three issues and I think overall it's been well received. Only time will tell if we are in the presence of the birth of a work style "Year One", "The Killing Joke" "Death in the Family", etc.
    To me, concerning the first issue alone, it deserves the praise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    I thought it was alright. Really liked the art especially.

I wonder if this is Johns' last comic book work for DC. There is nothing announced beyond this I believe.
    Batman Earth One Volume 3 is done and hopefully a release date is announced soon.

I enjoyed it. Brings in interesting takes. PLus I feel like a jason and barbara story about the Joker has been way over due to their shared trauma.

I think it makes the Joker way more interesting, though I know some might not, I just think bringing something new to the character is needed rather than him just causing mass chaos around Gotham for another event with lots of tie ins. Yes I know he's causing chaos, but exploring the actual Joker and new concepts is quite interesting.

Plus the art is amazing.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Adding unnecessarily complicated elements to a simple iconic premise, is what gets most comic writers in trouble. In fact I can only think of one or to creators that were able to pull it off consistently l( Alan Moore and Grant Morison). Superheroes work best when they are stripped down to their basic most primal elements.Adding a bunch of gimmicky detail tends to make them confusing not better.

BANNED

I'm not a DC guy but holy hell did I enjoy this issue, loved the art and the story just gripped me and I didn't want it to end.

I loved every page and wanted more, it's definitely a great mystery.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Adding unnecessarily complicated elements to a simple iconic premise, is what gets most comic writers in trouble. In fact I can only think of one or to creators that were able to pull it off consistently l( Alan Moore and Grant Morison). Superheroes work best when they are stripped down to their basic most primal elements.Adding a bunch of gimmicky detail tends to make them confusing not better.
    Arguably thatÂ’s what Johns is doing here. HeÂ’s taking SnyderÂ’s ideas about the Joker being eternal and contagious and stripping away all the semi-immortal, Hellraiser-lite mythology thatÂ’s built up slowly over SnyderÂ’s run Back down to itÂ’s essential ideas. HeÂ’s taking MorrisonÂ’s ideas about the Joker being an amorphous, egoless eternally mutating embodiment of evil and tweaked in a way that can be more easily externally dramatised. And heÂ’s reinterpreted JokerÂ’s constant self-mutilation that dogged both those runs into something that might one day be adapted without an NC-17 rating.

Love or hate Johns, the thing that has made him a star is that he knows how to conceptualise a character or story in a way that sticks in a lot of peopleÂ’s brains and lose the stuff that wonÂ’t work.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
    Arguably thatÂ’s what Johns is doing here. HeÂ’s taking SnyderÂ’s ideas about the Joker being eternal and contagious and stripping away all the semi-immortal, Hellraiser-lite mythology thatÂ’s built up slowly over SnyderÂ’s run Back down to itÂ’s essential ideas. HeÂ’s taking MorrisonÂ’s ideas about the Joker being an amorphous, egoless eternally mutating embodiment of evil and tweaked in a way that can be more easily externally dramatised. And heÂ’s reinterpreted JokerÂ’s constant self-mutilation that dogged both those runs into something that might one day be adapted without an NC-17 rating.

Love or hate Johns, the thing that has made him a star is that he knows how to conceptualise a character or story in a way that sticks in a lot of peopleÂ’s brains and lose the stuff that wonÂ’t work.
    Snyder retcons were stupid and no one liked that was quickly forgotten.

Morrison's were better but too dense for most people and thus, was quietly pushed under the rug.

The only time a possible explanation worked was Moore and TKJ. And Johns is no Moore.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Snyder retcons were stupid and no one liked that was quickly forgotten.

Morrison's were better but too dense for most people and thus, was quietly pushed under the rug.

The only time a possible explanation worked was Moore and TKJ. And Johns is no Moore.
    It’s premature to assume any explanation is being offered.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

I'm making assumptions about the possible quality Johns can deliver based on his latest output and said output has been mediocre at best, terrible at worst. Not a good record for someone who's trying to improve the work of true legends in the comics like Morrison or Moore.
    Last edited by Dark_Tzitzimine; 08-27-2020 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    What are you guys worried about? DC comics doesn't really have any kind of continuity anymore anyway. Just take this story at face value for whether or not it's a good read. The future will be whatever...
    The problem is how DC constantly bends over backwards to try and fix their continuity. So it is tough to take their stories at face value when they are also constantly trying to untangle their continuity to make sense of it. Like even with Johns when he created Doomsday Clock to try and fix the continuity and history problems with the New 52, which caused even more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Anyway, this does have a continuity. Specifically:
    - Batman 1940 #1
    - Detective Comics #475
    - The Killing Joke
    - A Death in The Family
    - Under The Red Hood
    - New 52 Red Hood
    - New 52 Batgirl
    - Darkseid War
    - DC Universe Rebirth #1
    To me, there's a difference between referencing a bunch of previous stories and cherry picking what you keep vs. having an actual continuity. Johns is good at cherry-picking, but the real question is whether or not future writers will choose to include this story when they cherry-pick from the past when writing their Joker story. And even then, it doesn't really matter to me personally - I mostly try to judge each story based on its own merits regardless of continuity. (unless the writer's use of continuity makes the story confusing)

Also when are we going to find out there are two Batmen? The one who can go toe-to-toe with Superman and punch Darkseid in the dick, and the one who struggles when taking on gangsters with guns and a gimmick.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-27-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    To me, there's a difference between referencing a bunch of previous stories and cherry picking what you keep vs. having an actual continuity. Johns is good at cherry-picking, but the real question is whether or not future writers will choose to include this story when they cherry-pick from the past when writing their Joker story. And even then, it doesn't really matter to me personally - I mostly try to judge each story based on its own merits regardless of continuity. (unless the writer's use of continuity makes the story confusing)
    Oh, the big boys are not gonna follow this. Snyder already counts everything as canon in his Joker story (with his own twist at Red Hood One) as early as Death of The Family and he's not gonna change that stance. Morrison if he ever comes back to Batman definitely won't. Tynion is more likely to follow up on Snyder than Johns, and King has a cherry basket of his own.

Tomasi likes to follow whatever's the most recent canon left off, so he's more likely to follow up on Snyder and Tynion rather than Three Jokers that already have dubious canonicity.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh, the big boys are not gonna follow this. Snyder already counts everything as canon in his Joker story (with his own twist at Red Hood One) as early as Death of The Family and he's not gonna change that stance. Morrison if he ever comes back to Batman definitely won't. Tynion is more likely to follow up on Snyder than Johns, and King has a cherry basket of his own.

Tomasi likes to follow whatever's the most recent canon left off, so he's more likely to follow up on Snyder and Tynion rather than Three Jokers that already have dubious canonicity.
    Bold of you to assume any of these writers will be doing many more Joker stories. Saying Snyder and Morrison won’t take this into account is like saying in 2009 that Denny O’Neil and Chuck Dixon wouldn’t take Damian into account. True but largely irrelevant. Even if Snyder has one more Batman-Joker story in him, his Joker is so dependent at this stage, on the coils of Snyder’s Own decade long story that it limits its capacity to be to be influential. Even Joker War will finish up before Three Jokers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Looke 90 View Post
    spoilers:
    Can’t tell if if it’s just hard to tell jokers apart, as it probably should be, or if that really is the Joker Jason shot?
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.