Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Even though I didn't think it was a particularly amazing story, I actually think that it could be adapted well into a movie directly. It's shorter than most comics which means that it wouldn't have to get cut down like the New Frontier or split into two parts like the Dark Knight Returns. It feels like exactly the right length. And while Fabok's detailed and gorgeous art can't be replicated in animation, the layouts are straightfoward enough and not as reliant on stark images as Bolland in the Killing Joke. So it wouldn't force any lingering shots that don't hold up to the original.
    You could, but other than retreading old stories I just see enough value in this as a standalone story worth retelling in animated form.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess if they wanted to make a animated thematic trilogy continuing from Killing Joke and Under the Red Hood...but that doesn't mean it would be any good.
    I feel it would actually work better as an animated movie, especially if they retroactively make it a trilogy with Killing Joke and Under the Red Hood. The character designs for Joker from both are different enough to make the three joker concept make sense, and since movies are in different continuities it can operate without the stain of it being a follow-up to Darkseid War unlike the comics. so long as they get a component screenwriter to adapt it I think it could work.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I feel it would actually work better as an animated movie, especially if they retroactively make it a trilogy with Killing Joke and Under the Red Hood. The character designs for Joker from both are different enough to make the three joker concept make sense, and since movies are in different continuities it can operate without the stain of it being a follow-up to Darkseid War unlike the comics. so long as they get a component screenwriter to adapt it I think it could work.
    It would have the stain of following up the Killing Joke feature, but I guess it can't do any worse by Batgirl than that movie did.

So, we'd have Mark Hamill, John DiMaggio, and by process of elimination Troy Baker as The Jokers? Unless they stunt-cast it.

This seems like one story that would probably benefit from getting expanded on to make the plot and story developments make more sense or have some actual point to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It would have the stain of following up the Killing Joke feature, but I guess it can't do any worse by Batgirl than that movie did.

So, we'd have Mark Hamill, John DiMaggio, and by process of elimination Troy Baker as The Jokers? Unless they stunt-cast it.

This seems like one story that would probably benefit from getting expanded on to make the plot and story developments make more sense or have some actual point to them.
    It might all be worth it just have Hamill being the last Joker standing.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I would fault Johns on that except he & Fabok made it clear enough in interviews that this story was being done apart from strict continuity. It'd be a contradiction otherwise, but this was meant to be untethered from Rebirth/continuity.

Once Johns gave up on this being strict continuity/canon, he both a) changed the Jokers themselves and b) ignored the Mobius Chair.
    I thought Johns said it's in continuity? Here's a quote from this very site:

"I've never really told a Batman story," Johns said. "I've done Batman: Earth One, but that's a different, younger low-tech version. This was the first time I had a chance to write a real Batman story, in continuity, with The Joker."

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    I thought Johns said it's in continuity? Here's a quote from this very site:

"I've never really told a Batman story," Johns said. "I've done Batman: Earth One, but that's a different, younger low-tech version. This was the first time I had a chance to write a real Batman story, in continuity, with The Joker."
    That was long before the series was moved to Black Label and the constant delays meant it became outdated by the events in the current comics. As of DC Fandome the stance was that Three Jokers is a self-contained story with no concerns about continuity and that it was up to other writers if they wanted to use elements from it on their stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    That was long before the series was moved to Black Label and the constant delays meant it became outdated by the events in the current comics. As of DC Fandome the stance was that Three Jokers is a self-contained story with no concerns about continuity and that it was up to other writers if they wanted to use elements from it on their stories.
    I see, thanks for the update. I rarely read comic news so I guess my knowledge of these things is generally outdated. So I guess an in-continuity answer to the Mobius Chair's answer is not forthcoming. Well, that's disappointing.

Fantastic Member sustainentropy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    I see, thanks for the update. I rarely read comic news so I guess my knowledge of these things is generally outdated. So I guess an in-continuity answer to the Mobius Chair's answer is not forthcoming. Well, that's disappointing.
    Johns also said somewhere else that it's in continuity if the fans want it to be, if I recall correctly. The suit Bruce is wearing in Three Jokers matches up perfectly with the suit he's wearing when Rorschach arrives at Wayne Manor during Doomsday Clock, only to then change to his classic costume an issue later.

I liked the idea of Joker tossing people into ACE chemical vat in order to make others like him. It feels like something he would do.

I agree with Lemonpeace about adapting it as an animated movie. I just feel the Barbara/Jason material is rather weak so I could see them expanding on that.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sustainentropy View Post
    Johns also said somewhere else that it's in continuity if the fans want it to be, if I recall correctly. The suit Bruce is wearing in Three Jokers matches up perfectly with the suit he's wearing when Rorschach arrives at Wayne Manor during Doomsday Clock, only to then change to his classic costume an issue later.
    I think the belts are slightly different between DC and Three Jokers.

I kinda wanted criminal joker to turn out to be the one joker left... Like, you get this elseworlds story where criminal joker becomes a the new norm and is much more menacing and straightforwardly this violent criminal who isn't concerned with over the top theatrics per se, and just about brutally murdering people connected to batman. I mean, I feel like it would have been better than the comedian joker's kind of silly plan and the retcon of his wife thing, and refreshing with joker overload too, 'cause I'm kind of tired of the joker after joker war and stuff I guess

I'm have 2 questions regarding the "Joker chronology" after the real Joker stands revealed:

1. Batman mentioned that the Criminal resembled the Joker he and Robin had met in their earliest adventures - but if the Comedian was the real (only) one, when did he *have the time* to behave like the Criminal?
    If TKJ is what really happened (in the continuity of this story, at least), then the origin happened as shown and the Joker started out "crazier" than how the Criminal appeared to be..

2. How did Batman find out about the Joker's family? this happened (about) parallel to the flashbacks in TKJ, where there was no Joker, just Red Hood -- even after finding out the Joker's identity, why would Batman think that there was something not-as-it-seems in the first place with the tragedy that turned this man into the Joker?
    Also, if there were any loose ends in the wife's death report (or something that would cause Batman to look into it), wouldn't the Joker also find that out?

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RonG View Post
    I'm have 2 questions regarding the "Joker chronology" after the real Joker stands revealed:

1. Batman mentioned that the Criminal resembled the Joker he and Robin had met in their earliest adventures - but if the Comedian was the real (only) one, when did he *have the time* to behave like the Criminal?
    If TKJ is what really happened (in the continuity of this story, at least), then the origin happened as shown and the Joker started out "crazier" than how the Criminal appeared to be..

2. How did Batman find out about the Joker's family? this happened (about) parallel to the flashbacks in TKJ, where there was no Joker, just Red Hood -- even after finding out the Joker's identity, why would Batman think that there was something not-as-it-seems in the first place with the tragedy that turned this man into the Joker?
    Also, if there were any loose ends in the wife's death report (or something that would cause Batman to look into it), wouldn't the Joker also find that out?
    The ending was not well thought and Johns decided to sacrifice consistency and a satisfactory wrap-up for a "shocking" twist.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

1. You get to choose if this is in continuity or not, so you could just say things played out differently in this continuity.

2. Bruce said he looked into the identity of the Joker immediately. It stands to reason that he found out about the family that way.

As for the Joker, he probably didn't care.

Unless Batman simply found out who the joker was and spoke to the police officers/detectives who wrote the report on the incident relating to the death of his wife and the police officer told Batman that his family wasn't dead and they helped fake it?