Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That makes zero sense, the whole three jokers thing was teased in an in continuity book so why take it out of continuity?
    Quote Originally Posted by bat1987 View Post
    Well from what I understood, the 3 Jokers was always supposed to be in continuity, but apparently has some mature stuff in it, hence the Black Label.

Recently though, Jason Fabok has described the book as in continuity, but that he and Geoff are doing their own thing with it. No idea what that means though, maybe they are just not concerned how the book connects with City of Bane, Year of the villain and other current stuff, and they are just telling the story they want. Apparently they are doing "super gutsy stuff no one has ever done". So, maybe they think the story shakes up the status quo so much that the future writers might ignore it?
    It’s Black Label because it’s a “prestige” book that’s meant to be standalone, so you won’t have to read King’s Batman run to figure out what’s going on. What Fabok means is that I assume the characters will be wearing costumes and acting in ways that might not 100% line up with what’s going on in their ongoings, and Johns is not going to bother making it fit.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That makes zero sense, the whole three jokers thing was teased in an in continuity book so why take it out of continuity?
    Simple, it took way too long to come out and since the rest of the publication line can't wait for them, it moved on. The exact same thing that happened with Doomsday clock. Fabok's comments are obviously just to save face.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Simple, it took way too long to come out and since the rest of the publication line can't wait for them, it moved on. The exact same thing that happened with Doomsday clock. Fabok's comments are obviously just to save face.
    I don't know about DDC. After seeing that timeline... Maybe the book is in continuity after all. I know those events don't align with what happens in the book, but somehow, I feel like it kind of is linked to it.

I guess I'll know in december, if the book ends that month and isn't delayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s Black Label because it’s a “prestige” book that’s meant to be standalone, so you won’t have to read King’s Batman run to figure out what’s going on. What Fabok means is that I assume the characters will be wearing costumes and acting in ways that might not 100% line up with what’s going on in their ongoings, and Johns is not going to bother making it fit.
    Although there's been some theories that Batgirl might be building up to her Doomsday Clock/Three Jokers look in her current series after her costume got trashed and she made a makeshift black one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I don't know about DDC. After seeing that timeline... Maybe the book is in continuity after all. I know those events don't align with what happens in the book, but somehow, I feel like it kind of is linked to it.

I guess I'll know in december, if the book ends that month and isn't delayed.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in that timeline. Even DC themselves admit is a work in progress and there's nothing at all in Doomsday Clock that depicts the DCU in the same way as other books do. Whatever changes it was supposed to brought (if any) are clearly replaced by whatever Snyder and Bendis have in mind with Year of the Villain and Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    I wouldn't put too much stock in that timeline. Even DC themselves admit is a work in progress and there's nothing at all in Doomsday Clock that depicts the DCU in the same way as other books do. Whatever changes it was supposed to brought (if any) are clearly replaced by whatever Snyder and Bendis have in mind with Year of the Villain and Legion.
    The fact that I don't like either of their works that much here probably colours me in helpless hope blue

And it will be a pity, because I'm liking Johns book a lot much (even if I have to reread it because all these neverending delays).

I know I'm being led by my bias, though, and you're likely going to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Pretty much. TTJ is a main continuity plotline and Fabok is simply saying that they won't bother making changes to the story to keep up with the rapid changes that keep happening to the main universe which is honestly for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Pretty much. TTJ is a main continuity plotline and Fabok is simply saying that they won't bother making changes to the story to keep up with the rapid changes that keep happening to the main universe which is honestly for the best.
    I can't agree - to me "it's totally in continuity, but we're not going to make any effort for it to be compatible with continuity."

Spectacular Member

Unless a date is given, it could very well happen before these changes, just like a flashback.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I can't agree - to me "it's totally in continuity, but we're not going to make any effort for it to be compatible with continuity."
    You don't have to agree.

I'm ok with it because I care more about having a good story that doesn't get drilled by stupid changes like Bruce leaving his mantle for the gazillion time or Jason having a serious case of bipolar disorder because his editors can't make up their minds about him.
    Last edited by Rise; 10-07-2019 at 04:30 AM.

I'd just like to think Barbara getting a proper adult Batgirl costume is going to happen in the future .

You don't have to agree.

I'm ok with it because I care more about having a good story that doesn't get drilled by stupid changes like Bruce leaving his mantle for the gazillion time or Jason having a serious case of bipolar disorder because his editors can't make up their minds about him.
    Well, no, I don't have to agree. But that's what we're here to discuss. For me, continuity is very important. If it's in continuity, then it needs to be in continuity. Out of continuity is fine. But we absolutely need continuity to work when something is in continuity, or there's no point to continuity and the entire universe falls apart. Indeed, I'd say a story that says it is in continuity not adhering to continuity makes the story less good. For me, if a story that supposed to be in continuity doesn't fit, the fault is with the story, not the continuity.

They aren't going to make the "effort" because the story has already been drawn and close to finish. They obviously aren't going to throw all their work away just to make it compatible with continuity that keep changing every few months.

They aren't going to make the "effort" because the story has already been drawn and close to finish. They obviously aren't going to throw all their work away just to make it compatible with continuity that keep changing every few months.
    Considering that it was supposed to give closure to a hanging plotline from nearly three years ago, that is a poor explanation. The whole thing is just poor handled by editorial and given how every other work of Johns has gone through the same insane delays, I'm willing to put the blame entirely on Johns.

It's the fault of editors for either mandating or allowing these gluts of temporary status quo changes that make timelines hopelessly rigid. Back in the day, there was no need to shake up the status quo every 6-12 issues and it was plausible that you could slide a characters appearances roughly in between the pages.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)