Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    This is a particularly difficult question, because it's very point-of-view based; not only for each reader, but for each in-universe observer.

If you're an average citizen, it's the ones that get on TV: Dr. Doom, Magneto, and maybe...Kang or Ultron.

If you're a knowledgeable mystic, it's maybe the ones you know want to collapse reality: Dormammu, Nightmare, or perhaps Malekith.

If you work at SHIELD, you probably can't pick just three, but the ones that mean the end of the world or civilization-as-we-know-it demand a special share of your attention. The list probably includes at least one among Galactus, MODOK, Loki The Red Skull, or Thanos.

If you work for the Hulkbusters, it's probably The Hulk, followed distantly by The Leader, and maybe The Abomination.

If you work in insurance, you'd probably have special curse words for The Hulk, The Sub-Mariner, and Magneto.

For me personally, Dr. Doom is (and always will be) at the top. If I have to pick two to share the spot with him, I'd say Thanos, and probably Ultron.

Only for about 1/2 Magneto's existence; read anything prior to Uncanny X-Men#1.250, and it's a very different story. I get it, the Magneto that some have encountered has always been an anti-hero (although some refute the very existence of the concept), but he was created as a straight-up mustache-twirler. Don't let Stan's revisionist "memories" fool you, the first ~20 years of printed stories make it clear.
    Those last 20 years left everyone in the dust though...his story is the highest selling comic book ever. Not Joker. Not Thanos. Not Darkseid. Doom. Darth Vader. Its Magneto. Call him antihero if you want but his gray lines made him the most fascinating villain since the 80s. Everyone is just playing catch up...this forum definitey worships Doom and Thanos but they werent as mainstream as Magneto going back to the 80s till now.

Atm Thanos, Dr Doom and Magneto, years ago I would've replaced Thanos with Galactus.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

I was going to answer the question as is but realize that Marvel does not have a big three and making it three creates this weird forced discussion of importance.

Thanos, Red Skull, Dr Doom, Magneto, Apocalypse ,Loki, Green Goblin, Ultron,Galactus

I would say they are 9 impact villians in the Marvel universe. In reading the thread I was hoping that some new villain would be in the mix but not one show up I hope someone like The Hood gets real focus and spotlight and move up to next level

honorable mention Kang,Venom,Mephisto,Sabertooth,Juggernaut,Kingpin, Carnage

I would say...Thanos, Doom, and Apocalypse. I think the one thing I want more than anything from Marvel right now is a line-wide event centered on Apocalypse. We keep hearing how he is this global threat, but he only really seems to interact with X-Folk. Give me a story where the oldest mutant in the world, previous conquerer of the known world many times over, master of a global clan of operatives devoted through fanaticism and blood, is a threat that all the heroes have to come together to stop. All he needs is one good story...where is it?!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    This is a particularly difficult question, because it's very point-of-view based; not only for each reader, but for each in-universe observer.

If you're an average citizen, it's the ones that get on TV: Dr. Doom, Magneto, and maybe...Kang or Ultron.

If you're a knowledgeable mystic, it's maybe the ones you know want to collapse reality: Dormammu, Nightmare, or perhaps Malekith.

If you work at SHIELD, you probably can't pick just three, but the ones that mean the end of the world or civilization-as-we-know-it demand a special share of your attention. The list probably includes at least one among Galactus, MODOK, Loki The Red Skull, or Thanos.

If you work for the Hulkbusters, it's probably The Hulk, followed distantly by The Leader, and maybe The Abomination.

If you work in insurance, you'd probably have special curse words for The Hulk, The Sub-Mariner, and Magneto.

For me personally, Dr. Doom is (and always will be) at the top. If I have to pick two to share the spot with him, I'd say Thanos, and probably Ultron.

Only for about 1/2 Magneto's existence; read anything prior to Uncanny X-Men#1.250, and it's a very different story. I get it, the Magneto that some have encountered has always been an anti-hero (although some refute the very existence of the concept), but he was created as a straight-up mustache-twirler. Don't let Stan's revisionist "memories" fool you, the first ~20 years of printed stories make it clear.
    Nah, even Stan wrote him as a person dedicated on saving his people even if it mean wiping out HIS enemy, the normal humans. From Magneto standpoint he is the good guy and humans are the bad guys. For Mutants who were bully, enslaved, beaten, and killed they would see it the same way. Therefore Magneto has always been more of a Anti-Hero/Villain.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Probably Thanos, Magneto and Dr. Doom at this point.

A long time ago Doom, Thanos, Magneto.

Today Thanos, Ultron, Red Skull

The truth is that many villains have become anti heroes or something close to that recently.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    If I think about the ones I could easily recognize without actually read the comics

Green Goblin - Magneto - Phoenix Force (before Infinity Wars, now Thanos)
    Doom or Venom as #4

Loki is super popular, but I think of him now more like an anti-hero.
    I really hate how the Phoenix Force has been treated for the past 20 years or so. It's the hero! Not the villain.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Thanos, Magneto and Doom. People don't see Loki as that much of a villain. Magneto is on a similar situation, but I think his past leaves a bigger impression than Loki's.

Magneto, Doom and Thanos. The only right answer.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    A long time ago Doom, Thanos, Magneto.

Today Thanos, Ultron, Red Skull

The truth is that many villains have become anti heroes or something close to that recently.
    I'll give you Ultron but Red Skull only appears in the cartoon these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I can get behind that. but isn't Ultron "faction like?"
    Not really.

He was mostly only Avengers but his incursion in Cosmic in Annihilation and currently means he transcended his faction, just like Dr. Doom and Thanos.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'll give you Ultron but Red Skull only appears in the cartoon these days.
    He was just in Secret Empire , Before that Axis. He stole Professor X's brain!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Those last 20 years left everyone in the dust though...his story is the highest selling comic book ever. Not Joker. Not Thanos. Not Darkseid. Doom. Darth Vader. Its Magneto. Call him antihero if you want but his gray lines made him the most fascinating villain since the 80s. Everyone is just playing catch up...this forum definitey worships Doom and Thanos but they werent as mainstream as Magneto going back to the 80s till now.
    I'm pro-Magneto. He's certainly my favorite villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I was going to answer the question as is but realize that Marvel does not have a big three and making it three creates this weird forced discussion of importance.
    It forces people to justify their choices. There's nothing weird about it.