Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    as relatively neutral as i am on the topic, idk if “spider-marriage: yah or nah” should really be the deciding factor
    You always have alternate universe titles for them too.

One thing I'll give Quesada and Marvel...they give writers keen on the marriage space to work, if the mainline ever went back to what is very sustainable 31 years on, the shoe would fit just as well on the other foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    You always have alternate universe titles for them too.

One thing I'll give Quesada and Marvel...they give writers keen on the marriage space to work, if the mainline ever went back to what is very sustainable 31 years on, the shoe would fit just as well on the other foot.

i wonder if you could reboot two spider-man continuities, one married, one single and then race them
    troo fan or death

BANNED

i wonder if you could reboot two spider-man continuities, one married, one single and then race them
    "Slow and steady wins the race"

As the Flintstones would tell you, a family of "legs" will outrun and outpower a single man with legs any day ...

sounds logical
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    OMD was a four issue series ten years ago. If it stuck in your craw that much, that's up to you.

When I'm reading new issues, I never think about it. The only time it comes up is when fans cry about it on message boards.
    To be fair, its not like they completely ignore it or act like it doesn't exist, the second part of Threat Level Red a few months ago even had a direct reference to it. And of course Spider-Man/Deadpool. That's why I think it's understandable if people still bring it up, as opposed to any other equally bad story.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    To be fair, its not like they completely ignore it or act like it doesn't exist, the second part of Threat Level Red a few months ago even had a direct reference to it. And of course Spider-Man/Deadpool. That's why I think it's understandable if people still bring it up, as opposed to any other equally bad story.
    There are worse stories than OMD. And they sometimes get referenced. And are criticized in the pages of the comics themselves or by the creators.

The Rape of Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers), for example. Rightly criticized for its story to the point that Shooter actually apologized for it. http://www.comicsbeat.com/jim-shoote...-avengers-200/

"Snap" Wilson (which is super racist). I know this one has since been retconned, but... yikes... Yikes...

Like I said, OMD isn't the worst story Marvel has ever published. But it's certainly up there (down there?).

Hey, it could be interesting.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    There are worse stories than OMD. And they sometimes get referenced. And are criticized in the pages of the comics themselves or by the creators.

The Rape of Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers), for example. Rightly criticized for its story to the point that Shooter actually apologized for it. http://www.comicsbeat.com/jim-shoote...-avengers-200/

"Snap" Wilson (which is super racist). I know this one has since been retconned, but... yikes... Yikes...

Like I said, OMD isn't the worst story Marvel has ever published. But it's certainly up there (down there?).
    Yep, I believe in the Return Of The Purple Man arc from Jessica Jones, Carol references Avengers #200 and how screwed up it was.

And yeah, it's not the worst, it's not repulsive like many others, but its one I can understand being in a Top 10 list. And if you count non-canon stories, Spider-Man Reign and Trouble are much worse.

....And yeah, it's not the worst, it's not repulsive like many others, but its one I can understand being in a Top 10 list. And if you count non-canon stories, Spider-Man Reign and Trouble are much worse.
    Ain't that the truth. Canon wise Sins Past and OMD are about the worst of the lot (all stories). Although I think Shed should receive an honorable mention because, well, Lizard ate his son. *shivers*
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Yep, I believe in the Return Of The Purple Man arc from Jessica Jones, Carol references Avengers #200 and how screwed up it was.

And yeah, it's not the worst, it's not repulsive like many others, but its one I can understand being in a Top 10 list. And if you count non-canon stories, Spider-Man Reign and Trouble are much worse.
    I usually rank bad comics that are canon as worse than non-canon stories unless it is egregiously bad. Stories like Reign and Trouble don't tend to matter to what happens in regular issues of ASM.

Although I do think OMD and OMIT are pretty repulsive. They shifted the blame on what happened to the woman. "Don't worry, guys, it's not your fault. It's the woman's fault. She gave up on you."

(That's pretty gross.)

It's not as gross as Avengers #200 or "Snap" Wilson, but it's still a very bad life lesson. People can't grow and change and discover if they can just blame somebody else for their problems, whether that be the end of a relationship or not.

I actually like some parts of Reign, mostly the flashback scenes and Venom's take (probably the one that goes more for the "bitter ex" approach), but yeah the rest is pretty damm bad and too depressing for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Canon wise Sins Past and OMD are about the worst of the lot (all stories). Although I think Shed should receive an honorable mention because, well, Lizard ate his son. *shivers*
    Yeah, I'm not completely familiar with every main Spider-Man story pre-2000s, but from 2000 to present, I would probably have to say Sins Past & OMD are the worst, just because every other story, even ones I disliked, I could see aspect of them that work and can understand why someone may like it, which I can't do with those two, unless they were massively overhauled.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I usually rank bad comics that are canon as worse than non-canon stories unless it is egregiously bad. Stories like Reign and Trouble don't tend to matter to what happens in regular issues of ASM.

Although I do think OMD and OMIT are pretty repulsive. They shifted the blame on what happened to the woman. "Don't worry, guys, it's not your fault. It's the woman's fault. She gave up on you."

(That's pretty gross.)

It's not as gross as Avengers #200 or "Snap" Wilson, but it's still a very bad life lesson. People can't grow and change and discover if they can just blame somebody else for their problems, whether that be the end of a relationship or not.
    I would argue in terms of execution and objectivity, Reign and Trouble are the worse products/comics, but when looking at the whole series, it does make sense why the canon ones would be ranked worse as the non-canon ones can easily be ignored and pretend like they don't exist, which makes the canon ones sting that much more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by farmernudie View Post
    I don't know who most people are.

I don't think there is a scientific way to prove it, either side of this view.
    Well, sales. That's how you prove it.

Whatever people say online, whether good or bad, it's what fans vote for with their wallets that counts and Spider-Man has continued to be Marvel's most consistently successful superhero title.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    And podcasts

And references in Spider-Man/Deadpool

And whenever Tom King feels like throwing shade at it in solicitations.

Who are you fooling?
    I should clarify that it doesn't come up in many places that I frequent.

I don't listen to podcasts, I don't pay attention to DC solicitations, and given the amount of comics I read I'd already forgotten that SP/DP referenced it.

BANNED

Whatever people say online, whether good or bad, it's what fans vote for with their wallets that counts and Spider-Man has continued to be Marvel's most consistently successful superhero title.
    The Simpsons has been on for 30 years and is a regular ratings juggernaut, but you rarely if ever hear people say seasons 11-30 are any good, other than a few episodes

ASM also had several down periods largely because of OMD, it took Superior to turn things around again...and that required switching Peter out for a year.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 06-17-2018 at 01:47 AM.