Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Most Disappointing Comic Book Movie Sequels of the Last 10 Years

From "Blade" to "X-Men," CBR looks back at some of the notable franchises whose latter installments missed the mark.

Full article here.

I was disappointed by The Dark Knight Rises by the way The Dark Knight ended. Killing off Harvey Dent was a mistake. The Dark Knight should have been a springboard for a Two-Face sequel. Thor 2 had a boring villain. Hopefully, Thor 3 will bring The Enchantress and The Executioner.

Spectacular Member

I seriously cannot understand the pervasive hate for Iron Man 2. It was fine. It was Iron Man 1 plus Black Widow. Also, Don Cheadle was a vast improvement. I like Iron Man 1, I like Black Widow, I like Don Cheadle. There was nothing wrong with the movie, except that it didn't vastly improve on the first one.

Also, kudos for including Dark Knight Rises on this list. That movie was bad.

Spectacular Member

Also, how in hell isn't X-Men Origins: Wolverine not on this list?

aghunter

Interesting selection, I would have made a few changes. First, I churned out of Raimi's trilogy with the second film, so I can hardly imagine the third to be less watchable. Second, the second Ghost Rider is, as said, a guilty pleasure. It was watchable, and set up for a better third film we will never see. I'm not sure it belongs on this list, as it was clearly superior to the first film. Third, The Dark Knight is not much better than The Dark Knight Rises, it simply has fewer glaring plot holes counterbalanced by stronger villains and a lack of climax. I'd put it down as the most disappointing sequel of all.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBug View Post
    I seriously cannot understand the pervasive hate for Iron Man 2. It was fine. It was Iron Man 1 plus Black Widow. Also, Don Cheadle was a vast improvement. I like Iron Man 1, I like Black Widow, I like Don Cheadle. There was nothing wrong with the movie, except that it didn't vastly improve on the first one.

Yeah, I also enjoyed IM2 a lot more than many other people seem to have done. I think when it was first released it focused on building up elements of the MCU too much for some people. Rather than concentrating on it's own story. I've seen ASM2 get the same criticism.

Extraordinary Member

Iron Man 2 was good now IM3 that should have been on the list.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Iron Man 2 was good now IM3 that should have been on the list.
    Again, I didn't really mind that either. A super-hero movie has got to be seriously craptacular for me not to get anything out of it.

Also, I don't read Marvel so any plot twists / bad characterisations in the movies don't really affect me.

I'm a fan of the entire Iron Man movie series so far, but I can certainly see why people disliked Iron Man 2. It had a couple of pacing issues, and it made the mistake of playing up Justin Hammer as much as Anton Vanko, instead of putting the main focus on Vanko.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Thor 2 was a bad movie?
    I enjoyed it :/

Thor 2 was bad? LOL that movie was AMAZING

Totally agree ceroxide, I really liked Thor 2, never a bad movie.

All-New Member

I honestly believe people need to revisit Dark Knight Rises, because a lot of the plotholes that people claim to be plotholes dissolve with multiple viewings. Some need the other 2 movies in the trilogy to properly connect to. That said, there are things in the film that are not anywhere close to perfect and do disappoint, but to have it on the list over iron man 3 is a misstep.

TDKR biggest flaw over the other 2 movies is that it simply does not work on its own, and for that reason, it cant be viewed on its own. You really need to be familiar with begins and dark knight to fully understand whats going on in Rises with the character stuff and the league of shadows stuff. But the one big plus nobody ever brings up, is that its written in a way that bends Batman Begins and the Dark Knight into 2 acts of a 3 act structure. Which, for an unintentional trilogy capper to do that, I honestly think is impressive. The flaws are there, but its not without merit. Lets not pretend Dark Knight is perfect either.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I thought you were joking. I'll admit TDK was more flawed than Nolan's other Batman films, but there's absolutely no way it belongs on a list with Blade 3, ASM2 or IM2. Just no way.

Amazing Member

There are certainly parts of those movies that were bad but some have redeemable qualities,Anne Hathaway in dkr was good. Some great ad libbing stuff in iron man 2 ect. I'm not looking for academy award calibre stuff in a super hero movie, I wanna eat my pop corn and watch stuff blow up, it all depends on people's expectations going in.

But spidey 3 was awful. Stupid dated jazz stuff so cheesy.
    Last edited by Smart; 07-21-2014 at 02:45 PM.
    Books I'm reading: Batman Eternal, Red Hood, Black Widow, Elektra, Loki Agent of Asgard, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Catwoman.........