Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Blade 3 - Wesley Snipes made this under some duress and it shows. The weakest of the trilogy, not unwatchable though.
    Snipes made it under the influence. Everybody else involved made it under duress.

Quote Originally Posted by capNthor View Post
    Yeah, I disagree with almost everything you said but I respect your opinion.
    I respect yours too. Films are subjective, and I understand but disagree with your opinions.
    Formerly Doctor Malekith.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBug View Post
    Also, how in hell isn't X-Men Origins: Wolverine not on this list?
    I'd say that's because it's not a sequel to any of the X-films, but instead, a prequel to the original trilogy, whatever about content, or quality.

Unless the article says otherwise, sure, though a follow up, it'd still have to be a sequel to qualify, I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart View Post
    The second punisher movie should be on there before the dark knight rises for sure.

But, far as I'm aware, none of the Punisher films are connected, to any of the Punisher films. Stuff like that could change in the future.

Whether it be in a Netflix series, or Marvel Studios film.

But, as a follow up, sure, but not as the title says, a sequel.

What let you down about it anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    We should keep in mind though that the user scores on Rotten Tomatoes are also internet posters. They are people passionate enough to frequent the site, register for it and actively take time to review it. Not your average person. I think it's also relevant to remember that people who are satisfied with a purchase or who like something are statistically more likely to talk about the things/purchases they like more than the people that were disappointed.

In other words, people like me who hated DKR didn't bother posting a review on RT but I do post when I like a movie.
    That really doesn't jive with my experience with rotten tomatoes, Netflix or IMDB scores. Many viewer scores are brutal. And again, viewer opinion and critic opinion are congruent for this film. Pretty much everywhere you go online that keeps scores, TDKR does very well. It made tons of money. It's scores are consistently higher than most other Superhero films.

Comic book fans are much more critical than average audiences. We are more invested and usually better educated generally and on superheroes and films specifically. I get that and I like that. As I've said, we are the first 100 million comic book movies make. If we don't show up, the film is sunk.

But we aren't representative of audiences. We concern ourselves with minutia and plot points etc that the vast majority of the audience don't care about.

Everywhere I turn concrete statistical evidence shows audiences and critics really like TDKR. It isn't just Rotten Tomatoes. Should I disregard the best data available for anecdotal evidence from message boards?
    Last edited by Jorge; 07-22-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post

And the poster can put anything they want on the list regardless of your consensus. The list wasn't made up Rotten Tomatoes' most disappointing sequels.
    I completely agree that every individual is entitled to their opinion. And to not be part of the consensus. Often times the critic on the outside is the one who brings the most meaning to the discussion.

My point is more about the need to drags down the success of a work if one doesn't like it. Too often it isn't enough to say, "I didn't like it." Folks have to say, "Everyone hated it."

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    That really doesn't jive with my experience with rotten tomatoes, Netflix or IMDB scores. Many viewer scores are brutal. And again, viewer opinion and critic opinion are congruent for this film. Pretty much everywhere you go online that keeps scores, TDKR does very well. It made tons of money. It's scores are consistently higher than most other Superhero films.

Comic book fans are much more critical than average audiences. We are more invested and usually better educated generally and on superheroes and films specifically. I get that and I like that. As I've said, we are the first 100 million comic book movies make. If we don't show up, the film is sunk.

But we aren't representative of audiences. We concern ourselves with minutia and plot points etc that the vast majority of the audience don't care about.

Everywhere I turn concrete statistical evidence shows audiences and critics really like TDKR. It isn't just Rotten Tomatoes. Should I disregard the best data available for anecdotal evidence from message boards?
    Oh, I don't disagree that in was generally well received.

For me, it fits in the same category as the Transformers movies. Movies I can't see the appeal in and I see a lot of criticism for but people still want to see it and they do very well. Does that mean they're good? Dark of the Moon gets terrible reviews on RT but it made tons of money. So how accurate is RT in determining whether or not people like a movie?

I think there are different measures for whether or not something is good or disappointing but in the case of the OPs list, I don't disagree at all the DKR was a disappointment coming off of TDK.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    I agree with this. Because honestly a huge accomplishment it had was that it did something to a franchise that it probably didn't intend to begin with (lets be honest most people thought the 3rd Nolan film would be a standard business as usual Batman film with the Riddler, and the cops on Batman's tail for awhile) and not only made it work and make perfect sense, BUT it actually made the other films better.

It made the ending to The Dark Knight more important because it added meaning to the sacrifice. It made Ra's legend grow more from the first film. It tied everything together really well.

It's flawed, like nearly any film, but it's really overblown on here.
    Less Blake character and more Alfred, TDKR is a better movie which build the first 2 up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post

I assume the "disappointment" isn't so much whether it's a bad or good film, but (compared to the last one) it was a disappointment. And the scores on IMDB, RottenTomato and all the other sites (and awards) reflect the sentiment.

BANNED

I enjoyed Thor 2. It upped the ante from the first film in the battles. The story was really little more than a chance to showcase Loki playing off Thor and everyone. It was entertaining but I've never read the comics.

Surprised to see TDKR on here. It made some interesting choices, not all of them worked. It still treated Batman as a near-mythic symbol and one of hope. A lot of its themes were heavy handed, but that's how the whole franchise was.

Iron Man II--well, its inclusion here is probably spot on. I thought it was a very bloated sequel, lots of bits that could've been cut. The scene at the race track was utterly fantastic though, one of the best action scenes in all the Marvel movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    War Zone was actually a reboot instead of a sequel to the 2004 Punisher, so I don't think it fit the criteria of the list.
    Well, IIRC, there was also the 1989 Punisher film, making the 2004 the second, and War Zone, that you mention, being the third.

All-New Member

Superman Return - I enjoyed and was respectful to the Superman lore compared to Man of Crap movie.

Blade 3 - Snipes did his best, but Goyer is just an hack and should never work alone.

X3- Brett Ratner sucks, the end

AMS2 - Decent, some slow parts but some crazy action and effects in others, saved by the really emotional ending, oh just edit out the spidey kid out of the Rhino scene at the end the move

TDKR - Almost a great movie, too much Blake(overhyped), too little Alfred at the end. He would never leave Bruce side.

Thor 2 - Almost good for most of the movie except at the end due to a bad end battle which was ruined with Jane, scientist, her friend, kissing, teleport garbage. Killed the movie. Don't mess with the last fight. The villain was good enough.

FF2 - First one sucked, why do a sequel, maybe a bunch of Obama supporters did this one.

Spidey 3 - Decent, a bit too much. but decent

Iron man 2 - Loved it, Loved Vanko, Loved Hammer, some ways cooler than the first but not as superior. Also Loved Iron man 3, deal with it.

Kick ass 2 - loved the first one, didn't see the second yet but heard it bad. Still want to see it.

Ghost Rider 2 - Coolest Bad Movie Ever!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Al2k71 View Post
    FF2 - First one sucked, why do a sequel, maybe a bunch of Obama supporters did this one.
    First one had decent reviews and made money. Even FF2 made money.
    That would be the 'why' of being made.

Amazing Member

Completely agree. X3 is an awful movie.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBug View Post
    Also, how in hell isn't X-Men Origins: Wolverine not on this list?
    X-actly.

I'd add Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 (even though I've only seen about a minute of it that was more than what I needed to see.)
    archer * magician *soldier * spy