Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Nick Spencer's Big Plan

Nick Spencer had some interesting hints about the future of his run in a CBR interview last month.

He thinks Spider-Man fits a variety of tones, so that readers might get the impression from his first few issues that he's telling one type of story, when the second one is going to be more intense.

When you look at the totality of Spidey comics, you see a wide variety of tones, genres and styles. So when I was approaching this I wanted to build my run so it could be elastic in that sense. For instance, there will be some stories in the first half of the year where people will say, “I get it. This book leans a little heavier towards the comedy. This book has a lighter touch than some previous Spider-Man runs.” Then at the half year mark, we’re going to turn it around and it will become something very different.

I really want you to pick up each arc of the book and not know what direction we’re going to go. Some of these stories are going to make you laugh a lot. Some are going to scare you. Some are going to make you cry. That’s the goal. You really won’t know what you’re going to get month to month. This is a book that will have a different type of feel and different voice depending on what the story needs. I didn’t want to lock myself in too much there. For me, the thrill is getting to play with all these different kinds of stories, but with Spidey at the center of all of them.
    He's got something big seeded with the first issue.

I will also say you won’t have to wait long to see us introduce a terrifying new villain who will upend Peter’s life and challenge him in ways we’ve never seen before. I can’t get too specific– but trust me, he’s going to leave a lasting scar. There’s a long term plan in place on this book, maybe the most detailed one I’ve ever put forward– and we’re building to what I truly believe will be one of the biggest Spidey stories of all time. Amazing Spider-Man #1 is the ground floor for that.
    Now we've seen the first issue. Where do you guys think he might be going?

Mysterio's boss seems to be the obvious hint of a big bad.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Arrow

Being someone who greatly enjoyed the direction of Spencer's first issue I'm somewhat apprehensive about the opening part of the article quoted above. Overall, however, the article has only served to increase my interest.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-12-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

There seemed to be a lot of allusions to Mephisto/One More Day/the marriage ("something missing" panel of her hand with no wedding ring haha). Plus the new villain from hell having Mysterio under his thumb indebted for returning from hell, villain knows Peter very well and is playing some kind of game with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    There seemed to be a lot of allusions to Mephisto/One More Day/the marriage ("something missing" panel of her hand with no wedding ring haha). Plus the new villain from hell having Mysterio under his thumb indebted for returning from hell, villain knows Peter very well and is playing some kind of game with everything.
    Could be Mephisto himself. Remember Big Red recently lost control of his dimension. Although I don't understand how getting involved in Peter's life again would help matters for Mephisto? Maybe Mephisto somehow blames Peter for what happened and wants revenge? But that wouldn't make sense either as Peter was not involved in those events Ben Reilly was.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

That first quote kinda worries me, bur I am still excited overall.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 07-13-2018 at 06:25 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Could be Mephisto himself. Remember Big Red recently lost control of his dimension
    Keep in mind that it was Spencer who helped write the Damnation event

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    That first quote kinda worries me, I really would prefer the book to not go too dark. We'll see.
    Did you read Spencer's Ant-Man?

man, people read what they want to see ayyyyyy

nothing scary here. sounds like a writer being a writer
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Based off the end of Damnation it could be the New King of Hell- Johnny Blaze

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Did you read Spencer's Ant-Man?
    Some of it, why? I read Morning Glories by Spencer if you are asking if I read other work by the writer.

Amazing Member

Given all the hints dropped, the "biggest Spidey story of all time" has to be a resolution to OMD. Even if the marriage doesn't come back, you can't start the run the way Spencer did, with all the symbols plus the ending of both parts of the issue, and have it be anything else. I'm guessing the unpredictability/road to that could include any of the following: a) this devilish character trying to create a wedge between Peter and MJ b) at some point Peter being forced to choose between Aunt May and MJ c) both he and MJ remembering everything and going nuts with guilt over the decision d) who knows what else. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility at all that these topics will be covered after reading that first issue. Especially given for 10 years people were dying for them to be covered and it seems like they finally will be.

The bottom line, Peter needs to remember, he needs to feel guilt over the decision (just as he did with the Spock stuff in issue 1) and then he neds his comeuppance against Mephisto, regardless of the aftermath for him and MJ.
    Last edited by Green Symbiote; 07-13-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Amazing Member

Here's a crazy idea - what if Mephisto makes a deal with Peter and MJ to give their marriage/memories back in exchange for giving him back his seat in Hell?? Would certainly put a fascinating twist on "MJ and Peter against the world"...

BANNED

I don't think they'll do a "Batman" with this, not now after whats happened with the reaction.

If anything, I think they'll both remember and that will be the pain due to lost time, May will die and Pete has to suffer the loss.

I'm hoping Theresa shows up in amazing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Keep in mind that it was Spencer who helped write the Damnation event
    True, if it is Mephisto maybe he offers Spidey both his Marriage back and Aunt May's life if Peter helps him somehow regain control of "Hell" from Johnny Blaze? Talk about a serious dilemma for the web slinger. Spider-Man can have everything he wants including a happy life but he has to morally compromise himself by helping this monster wreak havoc and destroy who knows how many additional lives.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    True, if it is Mephisto maybe he offers Spidey both his Marriage back and Aunt May's life if Peter helps him somehow regain control of "Hell" from Johnny Blaze? Talk about a serious dilemma for the web slinger. Spider-Man can have everything he wants including a happy life but he has to morally compromise himself by helping this monster wreak havoc and destroy who knows how many additional lives.
    Mephisto and Peter could even team up against the new baddie, and Mephisto offers the restoration of the marriage as Peter's "reward" and Peter rejects it as their team-up came with a high cost or something all too convenient.