23 44.23%
  • Otto

19 36.54%
  • They're about the same

10 19.23%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    It wasn't a "possible" better theory. It was a straight up better theory, since Peter used it to solve the alien invasion which neither the Guardians of the Galaxy, nor guys like Iron Man, could solve. And it was the thesis Doc Ock handed in very recently - in Superior Spider-Man #20 or so. Anyways, the number of PhDs they have doesn't really matter, since Peter is already leagues smarter and more knowledgeable in pretty much any STEM field than any real person with a PhD in that field.
    Recent is very relative here.

ASM #698-Superior #31 transpired across a year.

ASM vol 3 #18 happened 8 months before Secret Wars 2015 began.

ASM vol 4 #1 happened 8 months after Secret Wars.

Counting the times between those events and the present we are talking at least 2 years in-universe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    To the bolded part. Tony read and hacked Kree technology. Which is hundreds of years ahead of the human race. So Tony has read and hacked alien language as well. Just saying.
    The clusterfuck nature of a shared universe means that frankly I think it's more practical to take each character as a quasi-seperate version within each person's series.

In other words yes Iron Man is smart enough to do that over all and within the context of his own series which puts him beyond Peter's intelligence level.

But Iron man within the context of Spider-Man's series (the 'Spider-Man version of Iron Man' if you will) might not be able to do that and the intelligence gap is smaller.

I apply this theory because otherwise you will have issues of a character's solo-series that doesn't make sense due to some random guest appearance they made in someone else's book (where they weren't written by any of their regular writers nor edited by the same office staff). And at the end of the day why should the characterization of Iron Man's personal solo seires be dictated to at all by some random appearance he made in F4? F4 is not an Iron Man book, Iron Man is an Iron Mn book and the most important one at that so it should always take precedence.

It also doesn't really make sense to count every appearance equally since in each character's series they are usually portrayed as 'in the right'. Like in Spider-Man the Punisher is not evil but also someone firmly in the wrong due to his methods. In Punisher though Punisher is in the right and Spider-Man is a naive child.

You even saw some of this in Stan's day. He didn't write the characters consistently and as much as that might've been his bad memory a lot of it had to do with who's book he was writing and his philosophy of differentiating the Marvel heroes from the DC ones by making the former jerks to one another most of the time whereas DC's silver age heroes tended to be friendlier.

This is the reason Spider-Man seems kind of out of character in the back up story from ASM vol 1 #8 with the Human Torch. In that story Spider-Man is kind of an antagonistic jerk (though it makes more sense when you read ASM #21 which is supposed to happen before but was published after apparently...I don't get it either....).

But the reason Spidey is like that is because the back up from ASM #8 isn't really a Spider-Man story. It's blatantly a repurposed Strange Tales Human Torch story. Hence why the Torch and F4 are in it, it involves the Torch's home base and supporting cast (whom Spider-Man exclusive readers had never been introduced to but are presumed to know who they are) and it was drawn by the Strange Tales team, Ditko was not involved.

So Spider-Man is kind of a jerk because the guest stars are usually jerks in silver-bronze age marvel. The flipside is that the F4 had kind of been jerks in ASM prior and after that issue too.

I know this is a big tangent but I just flet like getting this out there.

It just makes more sense to judge characters when they are guest starring within the context of their appearances within that series as opposed to their appearances over all, unless I guess something truly egregious happens. E.g. Tony being an outright villain in JMS' Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post

Counting the times between those events and the present we are talking at least 2 years in-universe.
    Technically it would be ASM vol. 3 #18, then Secret Wars happens very shortly afterwards, then after SW ends the world resets to right before the Incursion happens, and ASM vol. 4 #1 is 8 months after that.

I thought they had mentioned the events of Superior took place over the course of 6 months, but I could be wrong. Either way, the Spider-Verse stuff could've easily taken place within a month, and we know for sure that 1 year has passed since ASM vol. 4 #11 thanks to #794. But yeah you are right, about 2 years.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

To the bolded part. Tony read and hacked Kree technology. Which is hundreds of years ahead of the human race. So Tony has read and hacked alien language as well. Just saying.
    Yeah, that's why it's impressive that Peter could solve the pattern when Tony couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post

I think those time frames were retconned though. Peter was 28 at the start of ASM Vol 3, and IIRC they recently confirmed he was still 28 in one of the recent ASM issues out this year. So that time gap could not have happened any more.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Yeah, that's why it's impressive that Peter could solve the pattern when Tony couldn't.
    Just asking. How couldn't Tony solve it? Was he there or did they go to him to solve it and he couldn't? Also were they as advanced as the Kree?
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 07-17-2018 at 06:00 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Just asking. How couldn't Tony solve it? Was he there or did they go to him to solve it and he couldn't? Also were they as advanced as the Kree?
    Essentially Mysterio was simulating an alien invasion but none of the heroes knew where the aliens were coming from and how to stop them. Tony needed to call in the Guardians to help, so I'm assuming he couldn't figure it out on his own. When Peter came on the scene he used his expertise in chaos theory to deduce that there was a pattern to how the portals opened, and then he figured out what that pattern was - leading him to the source of the aliens ie. Mysterio.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

It was from the Avengers NOW! handbook Marvel released a couple years back. I don't think they have released any Handbooks of Peter in over 10 years though, so there aren't any updated stats for Peter. The super-genius thing was from Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 2 #1 and the IQ was from Amazing Spider-Man #588. And Marvel's official rankings say that a Level 6 in intelligence is reserved for "super-genius level intelligence", so since Peter is a super-genius he should have a Level 6.
    HE say's that he is super genius level though and he seems to be joking. Marvel or Marvel Wikia state that he is a genius and not Super Genius. Is there a site that's not a Spider-Man fan site that states that Peter is 6th level intelligence? Besides that line he said there.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 07-21-2018 at 12:19 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Technically it would be ASM vol. 3 #18, then Secret Wars happens very shortly afterwards, then after SW ends the world resets to right before the Incursion happens, and ASM vol. 4 #1 is 8 months after that.

I thought they had mentioned the events of Superior took place over the course of 6 months, but I could be wrong. Either way, the Spider-Verse stuff could've easily taken place within a month, and we know for sure that 1 year has passed since ASM vol. 4 #11 thanks to #794. But yeah you are right, about 2 years.
    It was stated that barring the Last Days stuff and certain resolutions to take place within those 8 months every book pre-SW would happen 8 months before SW began. Since we do not see another planet looming at the end of ASM v3 #18 it means it happened 8 months before SW. Yeah the world reset to just before SW happened but that'd still be 8 months later.

So it'd still 16 months between ASM v3 #18 and ASm v4 #1 which makes a lot more sense to how PI got so big so quick.

I'm 99% sure they stated that Superior happened across a year more than once even in some non-Spidey comics which would also make a bit more sense as to how Anna and Otto get so deep so quick, how PI becoems as big as it was during Superior, the Goblin's take over and other stuff...it however does not explain how the **** Otto earned a Masters degree and a PhD in anything less than 3-4 years which is what you'd need to earn it if you were REALLY pushing it and that'd still be a stretch.

I think those time frames were retconned though. Peter was 28 at the start of ASM Vol 3, and IIRC they recently confirmed he was still 28 in one of the recent ASM issues out this year. So that time gap could not have happened any more.
    Time frames and ages aren’t merely whatever they happen to say this month. In a continuous narrative continuity is vitally important.

It is insane to assert that between ASM vol 3 #1 and now less than a year has elapsed, let alone the amount of time before that, Peter is 100% not 28 it makes no sense with the older stories and in a continuous narrative the older stories matter at least as much as the latest ones because the latest ones wouldn’t exist without them.

Hell it doesn’t even make sense within the context of Marvel’s rule relating to Marvel time. Marvel time is 1 year for the characters = 4-5 years real time. Meaning At least 1 year must have elapsed but information in the stories themselves indicate that it’s much more than that.

I'm no big Iron Man reader (truth be told I like older IM stories, read some bad ass Michelinie/Layton stuff just last night actually, but he's been dead to me since CW 2006) but I think if there was a reason Tony couldn't solve things compared to Peter was because Peter's mind was on the topic of patterns in relation to Doc Ock and their years of history together.

It's not that Tony couldn't have solved it eventually, but Peter got there first because the solution happened to be something he had a bit more direct experience with/his mind was focussed upon a similar topic at that moment.

That being said maybe Tony couldn't have solved it if only because I see Tony's intelligence being geared towards invention first and foremost whereas Peter is himself a much better 'think on your feet and improvise' in battle kind of person even whilst being gifted in other areas too.

Essentially I see Peter as a smarter fighter than Tony hence why in battle he was quicker to the mark in the issue.

Incredible Member

Maybe this thread should be more of "Who has a higher IQ?"