Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camelot 3000

BANNED

Default Camelot 3000

This was one of DC's first attempts to get into the direct sales market.

It is nearly forgotten now, but at the time was very experimental from the paper that was used to the talent.

I read the deluxe hardcover a few years ago and really enjoyed it. It's held up pretty well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I read the deluxe hardcover a few years ago and really enjoyed it. It's held up pretty well.
    The thing about it was that it took a year to run and it didn't really have a climax like other books. I think of this book like I think of the Watchmen.... it is a book that had great potential that was never quite reached.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    The thing about it was that it took a year to run and it didn't really have a climax like other books. I think of this book like I think of the Watchmen.... it is a book that had great potential that was never quite reached.
    Lol. I liked Camelot 3000...but that analogy would never have occcurred to me.

I’m not seeing how Watchmen could have sold better, got better critical reviews, or come to a more satisfying story ending...where the untapped potential was.

I read (most of) it recently. And while the art is really good, and I love space operas, there was one part of the story that was a bit too contrived and caused me to lose interest.
    Nevertheless, it was chock full of great ideas.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I read (most of) it recently. And while the art is really good, and I love space operas, there was one part of the story that was a bit too contrived and caused me to lose interest.
    Nevertheless, it was chock full of great ideas.
    Bingo - and it had some over the top pretenses.

Coincidentally I just started re-reading the series and am three issues into it. I recall enjoying it when it was originally released but am not so into it this time around. Hopefully I'll feel differently as I get further into the story.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I would love it to get a redo. It is such a great idea that was way better than its execution.

Still one of my all time favorite stories.
    Liked it when it came out and still do.

I believe in many ways it was ahead of it's time, esp. with diversity, sexuality and politics. The visuals were top of the line with alot of creative imagery with great clean art by Brian Bolland. There were interesting angles and intriguing twists for all of the knights (esp Tristan). Morgan Le Fey was an excellent villainess. I like the series alot and still recommend it today

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I liked that Bolland linked the DCU Camelot of Kirby's Etrigan with Camelot 3000.

Legends of Tomorrow's tribute to Camelot 3000 was a missed opportunity

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shaggydoo View Post
    I believe in many ways it was ahead of it's time, esp. with diversity, sexuality and politics.
    No it wasn't. No more so that American Flagg!! and dozens of other adult oriented texts. Read Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's

The only bad thing I can say about this (and this obviously doesn't apply to people who are reading it now) is that there were huge delays between some of the issues -- almost a year between two particular issues as I recall -- which was a little exasperating. But a great story.

Sandy Hausler

No it wasn't. No more so that American Flagg!! and dozens of other adult oriented texts. Read Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's
    Lol, I didn't say it was the only comic ahead of it's time, of course there were others. I wasn't comparing the series to novels/movies like "Breakfast at Tiffany's".

Not being on the level of Chaykin's Flagg is far from a negative. Flagg should be looked upon as far more than it has been. Flagg (at least the first 12 issues) truly defines the term "underrated".

C3K was a nice tale about the combination of science and magic and how people adapt to their surroundings. It may not have been great, but it was pretty damn good. And no one can claim the Bolland art wasn't beautiful.