Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Default Suspiria remake trailer

The first trailer for the 2018 remake of the 1977 Italian horror Dario Argento classic Suspiria.

https://www.cbr.com/suspiria-remake-teaser-trailer/

Luca Guadagnino’s Suspiria Trailer

I'm not much for remakes of classics I love, and I love the original Suspiria, and love Dario Argento, but I'm actually thinking of seeing this one. The trailer is drawing me in.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    The first trailer for the 2018 remake of the 1977 Italian horror Dario Argento classic Suspiria.

https://www.cbr.com/suspiria-remake-teaser-trailer/

Luca Guadagnino’s Suspiria Trailer

I'm not much for remakes of classics I love, and I love the original Suspiria, and love Dario Argento, but I'm actually thinking of seeing this one. The trailer is drawing me in.
    Looks better than I thought maybe it'll be good but I still think The Night Sitter looks better.
    Last edited by choptop; 06-05-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Looks better than I thought maybe it'll be good but I still think The Night Sitter looks better.
    From what little I learned now from googling it, Night Sitter is horror comedy and that's a bit of a turn off for me. If not a turn off, it's at least something that I compartmentalize a bit from more straight horror flicks like this Suspiria remake. (Depends what the comedy/horror ratio is, but the film I guess is being marketed and labelled as horror comedy)

Anyway, all in all, more interested in this Suspiria remake.

Interesting article (where I tend to agree with this Suspiria director on not trying to ape Argento):
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/editori...color-palette/
    Guadagnino, it’s now plainly clear as day, didn’t set out to re-do what Dario Argento already did but rather take the general storyline and *feel* of a film he deeply loves and reinterpret it through his own eyes. His own aesthetic. What Argento did with Suspiria could simply never be recreated by another filmmaker. And Guadagnino smartly didn’t try. Without that iconic Goblin score or “Argento lighting,” Guadagnino’s remake of Suspiria has the chance to stand on its own two feet
    I think if you want to ape Argento, I'd rather see that done in an original story like Night Sitter, not an Argento adaptation.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-07-2018 at 06:40 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

From what little I learned now from googling it, Night Sitter is horror comedy and that's a bit of a turn off for me. If not a turn off, it's at least something that I compartmentalize a bit from more straight horror flicks like this Suspiria remake. (Depends what the comedy/horror ratio is, but the film I guess is being marketed and labelled as horror comedy)

Anyway, all in all, more interested in this Suspiria remake.

Interesting article (where I tend to agree with this Suspiria director on not trying to ape Argento):
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/editori...color-palette/

I think if you want to ape Argento, I'd rather see that done in an original story like Night Sitter, not an Argento adaptation.
    Did you watch the trailer? It looks more horror then comdey allso it has the 3 mother's in it with is why I bring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    [The Night Sitter] has the 3 mother's in it with is why I bring it up.
    Yea, I saw that and mentioned that in my first version of my response. I definitely appreciate that it is a love letter to Argento and the Three Mothers trilogy and 80s horror. We'll see. Didn't see the trailer yet.

I'm more interested in the Suspiria remake. Feels like this acclaimed director might really focus on substance, try to hit some more focused themes about motherhood than Argento ever sought to (who just wanted supernatural gothic horror).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-08-2018 at 06:20 AM.

Mighty Member

i'm a fan of the original and is one of my favorite horror films for 27 years since i was 10 when i rented it and this looks decent and hope it's not a stinker like Poltergeist, Omen or Elm Street or Haunting or Psycho.

I still haven't seen the original in full. I'm a bad horror fan.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

It looks good... it's just, the story of Suspiria isn't anything special. It's the way that that original film tells that story, the images and the music and sound effects, that makes it such an amazing experience. Remaking it is a head-scratcher for me, like someone remaking Nobuhiko Obayashi's House. I kinda wanna see it though, just to see how such a thing could be done.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I still haven't seen the original in full. I'm a bad horror fan.
    LOL. I'll forgive you.

I didn't think the original was THAT great. I only remember the raining maggots and that one goofy murder... and the rest completely escapes my memory. the most famous scene left me underwhelmed - it's like they decided "this will look cool... who cares if it doesn't make any sense at all!"

Yea, I saw that and mentioned that in my first version of my response. I definitely appreciate that it is a love letter to Argento and the Three Mothers trilogy and 80s horror. We'll see. Didn't see the trailer yet.

I'm more interested in the Suspiria remake. Feels like this acclaimed director might really focus on substance, try to hit some more focused themes about motherhood than Argento ever sought to (who just wanted supernatural gothic horror).
    Did you ever see The Black cat? That had one of the mothers in it I think?

Suspiria made me distrust dogs, just a little.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.