Default Hickmans Second Series SHIELD #5 Spoilers

I couldn’t find if there was a thread for this.

Did anybody else get this? I could make hide nor hate of this issue. It was broken up in 3 time eras and I couldn’t follow it either of the 3. I can’t even tell you what it was about. I was very disappointed I couldn’t even anticipate a cliff hanger at the end of it, because it looks like Hickman has to just end it willy nilly. I don’t think Hickman can do much more than show Michaelangelo just living on till now.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I thought it helped to re-read the story that came just before it. It helps to recognize that they're not three eras, but three alternate timelines of the future. That's why it was so repetitive. That being said, I definitely feel like the Emperor with new clothes when I read that book a lot of the time.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Mighty Member

I agree, and it was like this when you get to the last issue before the series left off a few years ago. One thing that you will notice is that the image of the Sphinx/Pyramids is identical to an issue of Avengers in Time Runs Out when Cap goes to the future via the Time Stone. I don't think thats a coincidence.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I agree, and it was like this when you get to the last issue before the series left off a few years ago. One thing that you will notice is that the image of the Sphinx/Pyramids is identical to an issue of Avengers in Time Runs Out when Cap goes to the future via the Time Stone. I don't think thats a coincidence.

I remember that as well. It's probably a long shot to happen anytime soon but if Hickman does come back to Marvel I hope it's to work on stuff related to what he did in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    It took me awhile to read his SHIELD series. When I did my first thought was "holy crap, they referenced this in Secret Warriors, that in Fantastic Four," etc. Hickman's work is one that might benefit from just a complete readthrough from beginning to end. The only question is whether this story was designed to tease Secret Wars or if this will still stand on its own.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I thought it helped to re-read the story that came just before it. It helps to recognize that they're not three eras, but three alternate timelines of the future. That's why it was so repetitive. That being said, I definitely feel like the Emperor with new clothes when I read that book a lot of the time.
    I’m glad it’s not just me. 3 different alternate timelines confuses me more.

It took me awhile to read his SHIELD series. When I did my first thought was "holy crap, they referenced this in Secret Warriors, that in Fantastic Four," etc. Hickman's work is one that might benefit from just a complete readthrough from beginning to end. The only question is whether this story was designed to tease Secret Wars or if this will still stand on its own.
    The last Bendis Iron Man #600 book references Leonado Da Vinci forming a new SHIELD in ANAD with Daisy I think. (It maybe someone else). If LDV survived Secret Wars, there must be some way LDV circumnavigated that calamity, or, LDV has negotiated something with Reed Richards after Secret Wars?
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-05-2018 at 09:32 PM.

One guy's take...

The lead up to this issue didn't have "This will be a five minute read..." written all over it.

This entire series should have come with index cards/push pins/red thread/a couple of Sharpies/a cork board.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I couldn’t find if there was a thread for this.

Did anybody else get this? I could make hide nor hate of this issue. It was broken up in 3 time eras and I couldn’t follow it either of the 3. I can’t even tell you what it was about. I was very disappointed I couldn’t even anticipate a cliff hanger at the end of it, because it looks like Hickman has to just end it willy nilly. I don’t think Hickman can do much more than show Michaelangelo just living on till now.
    I did not find it hard to follow. I did find it annoying to read. Showing three timelines concurrently probably should have been done without three disjointed threads of text.

Where is #6? Really after all these years they couldn’t have just released the issues in consecutive weeks?

All of Hickman books have a connection to this series. This would be extremely impressive if he was ever able to follow through on his designs completely. Truncated storylines and extremely late publications make it less so (but still impressive). His work with marvel (except for FF) really put the idea that “no one will remember the delays if it’s good” to the test, and imo the idea has failed, I hope they stop trotting out that excuse. The delays with this and secret wars were really a poor showing, and turned me off of marvel for a while. I also swore off reading any non-marvel works from Hickman, because I just assume he wouldn’t be able to follow through on that either.

Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    I did not find it hard to follow. I did find it annoying to read. Showing three timelines concurrently probably should have been done without three disjointed threads of text.

Where is #6? Really after all these years they couldn’t have just released the issues in consecutive weeks?

All of Hickman books have a connection to this series. This would be extremely impressive if he was ever able to follow through on his designs completely. Truncated storylines and extremely late publications make it less so (but still impressive). His work with marvel (except for FF) really put the idea that “no one will remember the delays if it’s good” to the test, and imo the idea has failed, I hope they stop trotting out that excuse. The delays with this and secret wars were really a poor showing, and turned me off of marvel for a while. I also swore off reading any non-marvel works from Hickman, because I just assume he wouldn’t be able to follow through on that either.
    SHIELD #6 print edition to be released 13 June 2018.

Here is a preview for the last issue:

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/Prevue/MAR180863

Of course I'm really pleased and excited by the 3rd page (or the 5th one - depend where you start to count)
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

I thought it was incredibly sophisticated story telling. There is a huge amount going on here. One of the densest comics I have read. Given where the last issue left off this was pretty much what I expected, but much more so.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One guy's take...

The lead up to this issue didn't have "This will be a five minute read..." written all over it.

This entire series should have come with index cards/push pins/red thread/a couple of Sharpies/a cork board.
    Yep pretty much.

Finished it. Now someone explain the whole thing to me starting with his first volume

Finished it. Now someone explain the whole thing to me starting with his first volume
    Whew... Ummm...

People from antiquity started up something like SHIELD to defend earth against physical and metaphysical threats. Some parents of famous heroes got involved. It was all how the SHIELD we know and love got started.

I decided to not include all the important parts. Or really much of anything. I hope you enjoy my not even half-hearted attempt.