Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Does Dark Samus count?
    According to the Metroid Wiki:

Although the Metroid Prime is genderless, Dark Samus is consistently described with female pronouns in logbook scans and Super Smash Bros. trophies.

Mighty Member

Maybe when this game comes out we could have little tournament going... was there a thread/topic where we posted our Switch friend codes anywhere? Or online gaming IDs in general? I've grown to main Dedede in 4 and hope to main K. Rool in this game (I've wanted him so long that you BET I will FORCE myself to learn the ins and outs of his moveset.)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Why was K. Rool in such high demand anyway?

I'm still hoping for some more female characters.
    The reason this particular version of Donkey Kong was so popular (as opposed to the OG Donkey Kong or DK Jr) was because of the Donkey Kong Country franchise which was one of the premier franchises on the SNES. King K. Rool being the antagonist of that game was remembered for that. He was also the primary antagonist of the DK64 game which was the only and last major DK release that wasn't either a Mario game or a gimmick game.

I mean there is a real argument to make that he was bigger than Ridley. For one, unlike Ridley, he was a definitive primary antagonist (Ridley is usually secondary). Not to mention Donkey Kong Country was justa far more popular franchise at it's peak. Then for some weird reason Donkey Kong got relegated to being a Mario side character for years and they never did anything. There's a lot of nostalgia around K. Rool.

He's also just a unique and cool villain. Visually interesting and lots of personality. Like he might be the first comical villain of a major Nintendo character before Bowser started becoming a bit more comic relief post Mario 64.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The reason this particular version of Donkey Kong was so popular (as opposed to the OG Donkey Kong or DK Jr) was because of the Donkey Kong Country franchise which was one of the premier franchises on the SNES. King K. Rool being the antagonist of that game was remembered for that. He was also the primary antagonist of the DK64 game which was the only and last major DK release that wasn't either a Mario game or a gimmick game.

I mean there is a real argument to make that he was bigger than Ridley. For one, unlike Ridley, he was a definitive primary antagonist (Ridley is usually secondary). Not to mention Donkey Kong Country was justa far more popular franchise at it's peak. Then for some weird reason Donkey Kong got relegated to being a Mario side character for years and they never did anything. There's a lot of nostalgia around K. Rool.

He's also just a unique and cool villain. Visually interesting and lots of personality. Like he might be the first comical villain of a major Nintendo character before Bowser started becoming a bit more comic relief post Mario 64.
    Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze are not "gimmick" games.

I wonder why Medusa isn't even remotely close to as beloved as Ridley or King K. Rool. She's the only female franchise villain out there, and hits the "unique and cool villain. Visually interesting and lots of personality" billing that they do.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Donkey Kong Country Returns and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze are not "gimmick" games.
    Sorry I should have amended that from 1999 (release of DK64) to 2010 (Donkey Kong Country Returns) we got Only gimmick games. K. Roll was the series primary baddie for the franchise’s peak fron 94-99

Extraordinary Member

I wonder why Medusa isn't even remotely close to as beloved as Ridley or King K. Rool. She's the only female franchise villain out there, and hits the "unique and cool villain. Visually interesting and lots of personality" billing that they do.
    Because Kid Icarus is not as popular as Metroid or Donkey Kong

Mighty Member

To be fair, Medusa only appeared in the original Kid Icarus before fading into oblivion with the rest of the series until it's revival. On the NES, I wouldn't say she showed too much personality, as..well...no one did. In that revival (Uprising) it was a punch to the face for Medusa as it made her series villain role in the Kid Icarus series murky at best as she seemed to play a patsy to the more amusing and comical Hades. I'd say that Medusa's straight woman to everyone else in Uprising was rather endearing, as everyone got on my nerves at one point or another...but a lot of people prefer Hades.

Mighty Member

EDIT: Double Post
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 08-15-2018 at 12:03 PM.

I’m really hoping Shadow will be an echo fighter. Especially since he’s nowhere to be seen as an assist trophy.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Newcomers i've expect: Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia/Tales Series (he's the most requested character and Bandai Namco need second rep.), Rayman, Skull Kid from Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask (If The Moon is an AT character then Skull Kid must be ther to fit the "Hero Vs. Rival" theme), Heihachi Mishima or Jin Kazama from Tekken (another character rumored to appear since Heaihachi orignanlly was going to Appear in 4 but Sakurai has a difficulty moveset of the character).

Echo Fighters: Black Knight from Fire Emblem Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn as Ike's Echo Fighter. (Since he's one of the faster units in his home series, so he could be faster than Ike), Shadow the Hedgehog to Sonic. (His Up B will be Mewtwo's Up B or Down B will be Bayo's Witch Time due to Chaos Control), Ken Masters or Akuma to Ryu (Ken might be possible his FS could be his Shinryuken/Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku and also he's the "Shotoclone" Trope namer in the franchise), Impa to Sheik, Celica from Gaiden/Echoes to Robin (both use swords and magic spells).
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I’m really hoping Shadow will be an echo fighter. Especially since he’s nowhere to be seen as an assist trophy.
    You might be getting your wish after all.

Based upon the so-called "Grinch Leak", the final base roster might have been revealed, and it features these seven fighters:

*Ken
    *Shadow the Hedgehog
    *Isaac
    *Mach Rider
    *Chorus Kids
    *Geno
    *Banjo-Kazooie

If this is true, then we have arguably a very interesting roster for Ultimate that adds four new franchises to the mix.

Smash Bros direct this thursday

edit for spoilers
    Last edited by Gryphon; 11-01-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Last edited by Gryphon; 11-01-2018 at 11:57 AM.