Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Joe Golem: The Drowning City

New mini-series with "new" artist: Peter Bergting. Here is full reveal.

It's surprising, that Mike and Chris have already made a huge leap to the events of the original novel. I thought that they would spent more time with prequel ten-years-period.
    Maybe the sales are lower than expected, so they decided to wrap this series earlier?

The Claw of Justice!

Huh. That is a surprise, I thought it would be a while longer until we reach the novel. I'm excited to see Peter Bergting's art.

The covers are the best yet!
    @lobster20000 on Instagram

How long after the last comic series (Flesh and Blood) does the novel take place?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    How long after the last comic series (Flesh and Blood) does the novel take place?
    Flesh and Blood is June 1968, while The Drowning City is 1975.

Is this new mini series going to be 5 issues?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It's strange that they are adapting the novel, they adapted certain scenes in flash backs for Baltimore but never the whole tale.

But the Baltimore book didn’t center on Baltimore himself, so it made sense to adapt the novel bits from his perspective. Joe Golem comic and book are from Joe’s POV, so for the comic to work as an individual whole you have to do a much more straight adaptation

I am happy about this. I loved the novel, and always thought it would make a great comic series. There are those who only read the comic and the novel is the pay off to everything that is happening in them. I know they can always read the novel, but adapting this seems inevitable. It also allows post novel stories with an aware Joe, so cool.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The Claw of Justice!

The art is looking very good. Pretty excited for this book!

It's interesting that it won't be strictly adhering to the novel. There are some minor differences between the Baltimore novel and the comic adaptations too. I like to think the novels occupy their own universe along with Father Gaetano's Puppet Catechism.
    @lobster20000 on Instagram

Issue #1 is out (no discussion?) I thought it was okay as far as setting things up. Some parts better than others.
    I miss Reynold's art. Bergting is fine, but the city is a little to clean. It just looks like a city with canals. Reynolds made it look like a city after a deluge, barely holding together.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Is any one else reading this? So far a serviceable adaptation. But the art just doesn't do it for me. The characters are alright, but again, the city just doesn't evoke the decaying, flooded city from the novel. Patric Reynolds was really good at giving us the feel of that. The few panels Berting shows us of the city look like a town built on a canal, not half submerged buildings. When I read the novel I thought how visually stunning an adaptation could be. But if they are just going with passable art like this, what's the point.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Issue #1 is out (no discussion?) I thought it was okay as far as setting things up. Some parts better than others.
    I miss Reynold's art. Bergting is fine, but the city is a little to clean. It just looks like a city with canals. Reynolds made it look like a city after a deluge, barely holding together.
    See, I thought Reynold's art was too clean too, in my mind the drowning city should look like New Orleans during Katrina...and neither artist has given us that, though personally I prefer Berting as although the streets like canals(but so did Reynold's) the city at least looks lived in while Reynold's looked empty.

I felt Reynolds made it look gritty, with home made bridges between buildings and parts of lower floors just sticking out of the water. Berting's city is just buildings on the water.
    The only reason to make a comic adaptation of this is to highlight the visuals. The Drowning City should be the centerpiece, yet it barely seems like the background here. The story had already been told, and told very well, in the novel. I feel like if they only are trying to retell it, and are indifferent to making the art amazing, why bother.