Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Please change the title of the thread!

Please change the title of the thread!

---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaled View Post
    @Güicho
    I remember the first wave because I had the Warlord and Arak. I don't remember seeing the second wave.
    Did you have the DC/Remco giveaway comic - https://10deb7fbfece20ff53da-95da5b0...25d3a83_xl.jpg

The line continued even further, there was also Horse and Rider sets and eventually morphed into adding Warrior Beast, although Grell's Skartaris (AKA "The Lost World of the WARLORD") had some outrageous characters, I don't think any of the later were based on Grell designs. LOL!
    They were just aping some goofy Masters of The Universe stuff.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=727852
    Warlord and Horse - https://i.imgur.com/glbX0Vg.jpg

Catalog - http://www.plaidstallions.com/remco/843b.jpg

Also both Warlord and Deiomos got vehicles - https://i.imgur.com/2l1sZLZ.jpg?1
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-13-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Astonishing Member

Grell is fantastic, and his covers for the recent Percy run of Green Arrow were just fanfreakingtastic, so if anyone wants to start posting some of those!
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Well, this thread title got me worried.

BANNED

This one is actually not Grell but BWS if I am reading this right

Last edited by Güicho; 06-13-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Grell Pulps:

Last edited by Güicho; 06-13-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Damn you, mrbrklyn! I started breathing again only when I saw that Grell's wikipedia page featured the date of birth and nothing else to its right!

Anyway, what can I say about Mr. Grell that hasn't already been said or shown?

Oh, right, one thing: because of his immortal Green Arrow run, I HATE HIM!

I hate him because his portrayal of Oliver Queen forever blocked my ability to be really intrigued by the character when it was handled by any other author after he left.

I hate him because he spoilt me with artwork that looks like it came from Plato's hyperuranium rather than our world and top-notch dialogue that I can still quote word-for-word years after reading it and everything that came after on the pages of the Emerald Archer felt either underwhelming or just too different from the golden standard.

I hate him because he made me care so much for a cast of characters, both established and new, that every other take inevitably feels like inappropriate deviationism or a poor parody of what should be.

I hate him because I once lent his collected run to my best friend (who knew next to nothing about comic book Green Arrow) to show him that there was a lot more to the character than the CW's pseudo-Batman incarnation and once he told me that he had become a fan and asked for more, I realized that I couldn't think of anything else qualitatively on-par to recommend.

The line between love and hate is indeed very thin for fickle creatures like us human beings.

Retired

When it comes to Green Arrow, there are two Mike Grells. One is the Green Arrow artist and the other is the Green Arrow writer and they rarely ever meet.

The artist's history with Oliver Queen began soon after he came to DC, in 1974, when he illustrated the hero's back-up feature in ACTION COMICS (starting with issue 440). Elliot S! Maggin was the writer, who developed a close relationship with the Emerald Archer, saying that he gave Oliver his own voice.

Grell's artistic interest in Green Arrow continued when GREEN LANTERN was revived in 1976 and Oliver was the permanent co-star, with Grell as the penciller for the first two years of the new run--but Denny O'Neil was the writer.

And after that, Grell mainly dedicated himself to writing and drawing THE WARLORD, as well as non-DC projects.

Grell the Green Arrow artist meets up with Grell the new Green Arrow writer in 1987, for the three issue prestige format series, GREEN ARROW: THE LONGBOW HUNTERS. But that's where their partnership ends for a number of years, as Mike Grell the writer handles all the stories in the GREEN ARROW ongoing series--an 80 issue run, ending in 1993; whereas, Grell the artist only does some of the covers for that run.

The artist and writer come together again for the four issue limited series GREEN ARROW: THE WONDER YEAR, in 1992-93 . But that was their last peformance together. Mike Grell the Green Arrow artist has only returned to the character recently for the 2013 ARROW series. While Grell the Green Arrow writer has stayed away from the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    When it comes to Green Arrow, there are two Mike Grells. One is the Green Arrow artist and the other is the Green Arrow writer and they rarely ever meet.
    True this. Grell's art has a gloss (great for his Legion work) that seems out of place with the grit and realism of his Green Arrow stories. However, I may not have stuck with warlord had it had a "grittier" artist as my artistic tastes back then were still young and underdeveloped.

Retired

The unfortunate thing for Mike Grell at DC was that, other than his very early work and his cover art, he was usually saddled with Vince Colletta as his inker. I think this is because Vinnie was the art director at DC which meant he had his pick of which penciller he could ink and--out of some perversity--he chose to ink Iron Mike. Grell's art benefitted from a slick, tight inking style--which wasn't Colletta. Others like Bob Wiacek or Terry Austin served him better, when Grell didn't have the option to ink his own pencils.

@Güicho
    Did you have the DC/Remco giveaway comic - https://10deb7fbfece20ff53da-95da5b0...25d3a83_xl.jpg

The line continued even further, there was also Horse and Rider sets and eventually morphed into adding Warrior Beast, although Grell's Skartaris (AKA "The Lost World of the WARLORD") had some outrageous characters, I don't think any of the later were based on Grell designs. LOL!
    They were just aping some goofy Masters of The Universe stuff.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=727852
    Warlord and Horse - https://i.imgur.com/glbX0Vg.jpg

Catalog - http://www.plaidstallions.com/remco/843b.jpg

Also both Warlord and Deiomos got vehicles - https://i.imgur.com/2l1sZLZ.jpg?1
    I never had the DC/Remco comic. Even thought the figures themselves where not very detailed I was impressed with the how the Warlord's sword looked like it came out of the comic. As I said earlier I don't remember the second wave I do remember seeing the line when it was rebranded the Warrior Beasts. I remember the Skullman and the Snakeman. I never saw the vehicles Warlord's horse or even the catalogue page until now.

james-bond-permission-set.jpg
    One of my favorite Grell artwork/stories

Retired

I also remember when Mike did the Tarzan Sundays in our local newspaper. The colours were quite vibrant--much better than what I was used to seeing in the Sunday funnies.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Mike Grell's Green Arrow is something every comic fan should read.
    Yep. You are so right.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Kaled View Post
    james-bond-permission-set.jpg
    One of my favorite Grell artwork/stories
    I have these and they are pretty cool.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark