Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Yikes change the title!!!

My first exposure to Grell was on the Legion title. Literally some of the first comics I bought. Some of the most fun I had reading comics. Thought it funny that the book takes place in the future but everyone had sideburns & bell bottoms. Guess those styles resurface!!

Always reminded me of Neal Adams although he definitely had his own style. Some funky anatomy at times but a great artist.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

1st time I saw Grell's artwork was in BATMAN #287 and 288. Penguin was the villain.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Vol_1_287

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    1st time I saw Grell's artwork was in BATMAN #287 and 288. Penguin was the villain.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Vol_1_287

that is an unusual Grell work

I forgot he did quite a few issues of Batman. He also did some of the early stories with the Calculator.

I bought a collection off of Ebay of Sable and while reading them I found in the letter pages his plans for a Jon Sable/Batman crossover. The plot was interesting: Bruce Wayne comes to Sable to hire him to find out who Bruce Wayne was. He had amnesia. Along the way Sable would discover Wayne was Batman. He never did any art as a possible promo or selling point to DC that I know of. DC passed on it for some reason but what a crossover it would have been. I think it is time he did another Sable mini-series and even though the brought Travis Morgan's story to an end it is time to revisit Warlord.

He (Grell) is still alive, isn't he?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Huge fan of his work (going all the way back to 1974 with the LoSH).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    I forgot he did quite a few issues of Batman. He also did some of the early stories with the Calculator.
    that doesn't add up.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post

I always felt this was the best Mike Grell Cover I ever saw.
    Aw crap! You caved in to the mob. The title and fan reaction used to be the most fun part of the thread. I was gonna nominate this for thread of the year.

I remember him doing Superboy & then he was doing those backup stories I used to love. He did Green Lantern in the Flash & the Calculator vs whatever hero that month.

Five or Six year old me thought Black Canary was really attractive.

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    I remember him doing Superboy & then he was doing those backup stories I used to love. He did Green Lantern in the Flash & the Calculator vs whatever hero that month.

Five or Six year old me thought Black Canary was really attractive.

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg
    Grell drew fine-looking women, no doubt... Supergirl, Saturn Girl, Shadow Lass, Night Girl, Carol Ferris, etc... mama mia!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Grell drew fine-looking women, no doubt... Supergirl, Saturn Girl, Shadow Lass, Night Girl, Carol Ferris, etc... mama mia!
    I suppose his Laurel Kent story would take that prize. Grell liked drawing as little clothing as possible on women (and men, as Cosmic Boy and Warlord will attest).

Retired

I well remember seeing the work of Mike Grell for the first time, when he INKED Dave Cockrum on issue 202 of SUPERBOY [and the Legion of Super-Heroes]. In hindsight, it was probably a shameless scheme by Murray Boltinoff to test Grell as the replacement for Cockrum. And the next issue Mike Grell was the new artist--who had the unenviable task of killing off Invisible Kid, my favourite Legionnaire. So really the debut of Grell on the Legion was very bittersweet. It's too bad that we couldn't have had both artists on the team--and that Lyle Norg got killed off. What was Cary Bates thinking--Invisible Kid was not one of the characters we saw as having died in the future, in ADVENTURE COMICS 354.

The third work by Grell that I saw was an Aquaman back-up feature in ADVENTURE COMICS 435. Thankfully, there was nothing bittersweet about that.

Spectacular Member comradepitrovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I suppose his Laurel Kent story would take that prize. Grell liked drawing as little clothing as possible on women (and men, as Cosmic Boy and Warlord will attest).
    Man, I love Laurel Kent.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I well remember seeing the work of Mike Grell for the first time, when he INKED Dave Cockrum on issue 202 of SUPERBOY [and the Legion of Super-Heroes]. In hindsight, it was probably a shameless scheme by Murray Boltinoff to test Grell as the replacement for Cockrum. And the next issue Mike Grell was the new artist--who had the unenviable task of killing off Invisible Kid, my favourite Legionnaire. So really the debut of Grell on the Legion was very bittersweet. It's too bad that we couldn't have had both artists on the team--and that Lyle Norg got killed off. What was Cary Bates thinking--Invisible Kid was not one of the characters we saw as having died in the future, in ADVENTURE COMICS 354.

The third work by Grell that I saw was an Aquaman back-up feature in ADVENTURE COMICS 435. Thankfully, there was nothing bittersweet about that.

I think Cockrun survived this. Killing Invisible Kid worked. It is remembered by everyone who followed the Legion.