Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
I think that was one of the things that bothered me with the first book. Nadia having only regular people as supporting cast. She didn't do much superheroing at all... in fact I thought she didn't do much, period. Personally, it makes me feel disconnected from the superhero book I'm reading when there's not superheroing involved.

Waid writes her more grown-up IMO. Whitley writes her as an 8-year-old left alone in a candy shop for too long. In any of her other appearances, she's more tolerable. But hey, that's just me
Comes down to different tastes. I love the mundane in superhero comics. Big epic battles are all fine and good, but a couple superheroes going out for coffee? That's the shit I go for. Maybe the new series will be a bit more heroics-oriented. It does have two other superheroes, Janet and Bobbi, as supporting characters. I could definitely see the book having the cast go in a more pro-active direction, trying to solve problems before they become disasters, and running afoul of villains in the process. We'll see. Either way, Whitley's earned my trust, and Gurihiru are amazing, so I'm very much in for this.

In Unstoppable Wasp, Whitley definitely writes a more hyper-active Nadia. And I honestly just find that take on the character to be adorable. She's so high-energy, so irrepressibly joyful, and it makes me smile. And it makes the moments where she's more serious that much more effective. The fight against Letha and Poundcakes wouldn't have had the same impact if Nadia had been more grown-up prior to it. (I honestly loved that fight, and Nadia's subsequent feelings of guilt about it. It was such a powerful scene, and spoke volumes about Nadia.)