Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Yeah but one of the roles she will be playing is the dreaded "mentor to a hero with your name" There is nothing worse. She might as well be dead. Just ask Hawkeye fans, who are still waiting for the real Hawkeye to show up and rid us of sunglasses shirt guy.
    Unlikely to happen after the female-led Hawkeye movie.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    If you think Marvel is still interested in making money, I don’t know if you understand how the comic industry works.
    This is a bizarre comment.

"Why do you reasonably think a multi-billion dollar business that exists to make money makes decisions aimed at making money?"

Astonishing Member

Can't wait. Really loved the first run and I went in with very few expectations aside from knowing and loving Whitley's work with his Princeless Universe.

He wrote a great Janet as well so I wouldn't be surprised if she's key in the book especially since she's basically Nadia's stepmom of a sorts.

I wish we could have got a Jan~Wasp book as well. That I would actually read. Naida was simply not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Yeah, that is a fraction of the story. The direct market is not the only place where TPBs are sold. The trades did, in fact, do very well, which is explicitly the reason for the book's revival. Jeremy Whitley and editor Alanna Smith both cited trade sales as why it's been brought back.
    Do you have proof of this? Were the numbers are actually shown and where they said this?

Not that I don't believe you I would just like to know where the information is coming from.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 06-13-2018 at 03:35 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

again, I would like to point something out. Nadia failing might actually hurt Janet. you have to ask yourself what led to her creation. why did they think that a new Wasp was necessary? and why was Janet bypassed? does shooting Nadia work towards your goal of Jan getting more development? if you want to be strategic about it, purchase the Jan-centric issues of Nadia's book. and write letters to the writer asking for more Jan-centric stories. the company will eventually catch on that people want to see more of Jan. but just outright dismissing a Wasp book will be looked at as Wasps being unpopular.

Look uh, if there was a poll made right now involving all kinds of readers, there is no doubt Janet would have the majority voting for her to headline the Wasp book, that is no secret. However that's not what's happening. We're getting another go at Nadia, this time with Janet appearing regularly instead of only in the final 2 issues. Whitley loves Janet too. I know he'll give her a decent role. And really, this book is important for many people. And it makes a certain group very very very angry, and that alone is a big win in my eyes.

I wish it was a Janet solo. It's not. But this is a good news regardless. I will be buying this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Look uh, if there was a poll made right now involving all kinds of readers, there is no doubt Janet would have the majority voting for her to headline the Wasp book, that is no secret. However that's not what's happening. We're getting another go at Nadia, this time with Janet appearing regularly instead of only in the final 2 issues. Whitley loves Janet too. I know he'll give her a decent role. And really, this book is important for many people. And it makes a certain group very very very angry, and that alone is a big win in my eyes.

I wish it was a Janet solo. It's not. But this is a good news regardless. I will be buying this book.
    make the poll

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Do you have proof of this? Where the numbers are actually shown and where they said this?

Not that I don't believe you I would just like to know where the information is coming from.
    A source I can offer if you really want to use it is Amazon sale ranks. Just remember it varies by days or even weeks.

The Unstoppable Wasp Vol. 1: Unstoppable!
    #707 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Marvel
    #1545 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

The Unstoppable Wasp Vol. 2: Agents of G.I.R.L.
    #376 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Marvel
    #748 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

So you have to wonder who does it beat? That would warrant a new series.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales Vol. 4 (not out yet)
    #2253 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Marvel
    #5212 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

Captain America by Waid & Samnee: Home of the Brave (not out until next week)
    #943 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Marvel
    #2140 in Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Graphic Novels > Superheroes

For the most part looking around-it has higher numbers than a lot of books not out yet.

But I will say I have seen the rankings for both of her book in the high 200s.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...marvel-1119896

And LOL Iceman is getting another shot too?

Wasp, which starred Nadia Van Dyne, daughter of original Ant-Man Hank Pym, ran for eight issues in 2017, while Iceman launched in late 2017 and lasted 11 issues before ending earlier this year. In terms of print editions within the North American market — the only publicly released information about comic book orders — both series were performing poorly at the time of their final issues, with Iceman estimated at just over 10,000 copies ordered by stores, and Wasp ordered just under 7,000 copies.

It’s worth noting that these numbers don’t reflect final sell-through to customers, nor include digital sales; it’s possible that both titles were outselling their print orders digitally, as is anecdotally the case with other comic titles from Marvel and other publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    make the poll
    Can you drop the attitude? I'm not the person you need to have this argument with. I'm saying I'm happy Unstoppable Wasp is coming back.

Oh wow those vol 2 numbers look great, skyvolt. Thanks for sharing.

Can you drop the attitude? I'm not the person you need to have this argument with. I'm saying I'm happy Unstoppable Wasp is coming back.
    what attitude? what argument? you made a claim. "Look uh, if there was a poll made right now involving all kinds of readers, there is no doubt Janet would have the majority voting for her to headline the Wasp book, that is no secret." I suggested that you should make that poll. you either do it or you don't.

what attitude? what argument? you made a claim. "Look uh, if there was a poll made right now involving all kinds of readers, there is no doubt Janet would have the majority voting for her to headline the Wasp book, that is no secret." I suggested that you should make that poll. you either do it or you don't.
    I have no interest in making a poll like that, there is nothing to prove nor there is anything to gain. I was simply trying to reach out to the people who are frustrated that there is another Nadia solo. I'm saying this is good, that this is a far better scenario than no Wasp books because 1) Janet is in the book. 2)TUW represents a lot of good things. Now if you don't mind I'd rather not continue this discussion.

On a different note, I'm really happy for the writer who is really enthusiastic about writing this book.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    I get why Marvel wants these 'legacy' heroes, as they're more relatable to younger readers, but I'm not a big fan of Nadia- though I suppose I'm not the target audience. Also not a big fan of titles with forgettable civilian supporting casts (Hawkeye, America + Hellcat for example). Admittedly I have read only bits and pieces of these series, but my point still stands. Wouldn't it have made more sense for Nadia to be working with Toni Ho, Lila Rhodes or Selah Burke for example, rather than a bunch of civilians?
    Much as I would kill for more Toni Ho, I think there's a value in Nadia having normal people around her. Honestly, I enjoy civilian supporting characters in general. It bothers me when superheroes only really interact with other superheroes. It makes them feel so much more disconnected from the people they're saving. I like when the characters have people around them who keep them a little more grounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Cebulski's tripping.

I'm glad Gurihiru's back but why are you giving Nadia back to Whitley when her creator, Mark Waid, obviously writes her better.
    I would disagree with Waid writing her better. Beyond that, Waid would not write Unstoppable Wasp. He might write a comic with that name, but it would be a very different comic, and would aim for a very different audience. And this book is being brought back for the audience who bought the previous run. I mean, I wouldn't be likely to buy a Wasp series by Waid.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Yeah but one of the roles she will be playing is the dreaded "mentor to a hero with your name" There is nothing worse. She might as well be dead. Just ask Hawkeye fans, who are still waiting for the real Hawkeye to show up and rid us of sunglasses shirt guy.
    Except I saw nothing but love for how Whitley handled Janet in the last two issues of the previous series, where she was depicted as smart, compassionate, driven, cheerful, and just a really good person.

There are questions and suggestions about this subject that sound like attacks, but probably aren't. So I hope my question to you doesn't come off as an attack, because that's not the case at all. I'm simply curious.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you not in favor of the vol. 1 of this book? I seem to remember you didn't have much kind words about it when it was being published, and even - dare I say - cheerful about its cancellation? Is it the promise of having Jan as a regular on the book that changed your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Much as I would kill for more Toni Ho, I think there's a value in Nadia having normal people around her. Honestly, I enjoy civilian supporting characters in general. It bothers me when superheroes only really interact with other superheroes. It makes them feel so much more disconnected from the people they're saving. I like when the characters have people around them who keep them a little more grounded.

I would disagree with Waid writing her better. Beyond that, Waid would not write Unstoppable Wasp. He might write a comic with that name, but it would be a very different comic, and would aim for a very different audience. And this book is being brought back for the audience who bought the previous run. I mean, I wouldn't be likely to buy a Wasp series by Waid.
    I think that was one of the things that bothered me with the first book. Nadia having only regular people as supporting cast. She didn't do much superheroing at all... in fact I thought she didn't do much, period. Personally, it makes me feel disconnected from the superhero book I'm reading when there's not superheroing involved.

Waid writes her more grown-up IMO. Whitley writes her as an 8-year-old left alone in a candy shop for too long. In any of her other appearances, she's more tolerable. But hey, that's just me
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I think that both Waid and Whitley could use some tweaking to their character voices for Nadia, but I actually think that Waid's first issue of Ant-Man & the Wasp is what finally made Nadia click for me. I mostly enjoyed her intro arc in Avengers, but I was lukewarm on her for a good while. My biggest issue with Waid and Nadia has to do with the backstory he crafted for her, and that's mostly borne out of my own continuity pedantry and preferences about certain things to do with Black Widow.

again, I would like to point something out. Nadia failing might actually hurt Janet. you have to ask yourself what led to her creation. why did they think that a new Wasp was necessary? and why was Janet bypassed? does shooting Nadia work towards your goal of Jan getting more development? if you want to be strategic about it, purchase the Jan-centric issues of Nadia's book. and write letters to the writer asking for more Jan-centric stories. the company will eventually catch on that people want to see more of Jan. but just outright dismissing a Wasp book will be looked at as Wasps being unpopular.
    I think you're absolutely right about this. It might be twisted logic to some, but it's absolutely the logic that Marvel will use to justify their decisions about Janet. They'll say "Ant-Man-family books aren't good sells" or "Wasp books aren't good sells" and they'll definitely notice grumbling on message board and social media less than they would a coordinated letter-writing campaign. In any case, it's objectively a good thing for Janet that's she a consistent character in this book. It's much better than having a Wasp book out while Janet herself is seemingly missing from the Marvel U, which was sort of the case for a good portion of the last volume.
    Last edited by responsarbre; 06-13-2018 at 05:54 PM.