Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

As Darryl Ayo noted, the same people who gloated about Wasp being canceled because Marvel's in business to make money are now the same people saying Marvel doesn't care about money. Because intellectual consistency does not exist to people who spout conspiracy theories.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    As Darryl Ayo noted, the same people who gloated about Wasp being canceled because Marvel's in business to make money are now the same people saying Marvel doesn't care about money. Because intellectual consistency does not exist to people who spout conspiracy theories.
    Darryl Ayo? You’re citing Darryl Ayo of all people to call somebody ELSE a conspiracy theorist?

Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member

I wonder how much in universe time will have passed since the prior run. And I do continue to wonder what they'll do with Nadia. As character go she's still a hell of a blank slate.

And part of me is wondering what Black Widow would make of her considering she's the most well known Red Room trainee.

Ultimate Member

Folks take issue with WHO that source of profit is coming from.

These comics come to fruition through talk about the message, reading praise from news outlets, and lie about profit.
    Show us these places that talked up Solo, Slapstick, Hercules, Black Knight and Foolkiller to get books.

What news outlet knew Riri Williams was coming? No one was screaming for a black girl in a suit of armor unless her name was Natasha Irons and she's DC's property.

No one was screaming for a new black hero called Mosaic. They were screaming for either Eli Bradley or Static.

Editors call in writers to offer pitches for books and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    I wonder how much in universe time will have passed since the prior run. And I do continue to wonder what they'll do with Nadia. As character go she's still a hell of a blank slate.

And part of me is wondering what Black Widow would make of her considering she's the most well known Red Room trainee.
    I imagine we'll have gotten a bit of time passing, so GIRL will probably be pretty well-established by now.

Black Widow doesn't seem to have very strong opinions on Nadia, from what we saw in that one Secret Empire mini. Presumably, Nat's pleased that Nadia was able to keep her sense of joy through everything that's happened to her.

I imagine we'll have gotten a bit of time passing, so GIRL will probably be pretty well-established by now.

Black Widow doesn't seem to have very strong opinions on Nadia, from what we saw in that one Secret Empire mini. Presumably, Nat's pleased that Nadia was able to keep her sense of joy through everything that's happened to her.
    Tangent question: when did Black Widow start being called "Nat"? Back in the days everybody used to call her "Tasha". When did that switch?
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Folks take issue with WHO that source of profit is coming from.

Show us these places that talked up Solo, Slapstick, Hercules, Black Knight and Foolkiller to get books.

What news outlet knew Riri Williams was coming? No one was screaming for a black girl in a suit of armor unless her name was Natasha Irons and she's DC's property.

No one was screaming for a new black hero called Mosaic. They were screaming for either Eli Bradley or Static.

Editors call in writers to offer pitches for books and go from there.
    Sometimes editors ask writers to pitch for specific ideas/ books, but I don't know how common that is versus writers pitches their ideas instead. I remember a documentary that had G. Willow Wilson and she said marvel was interested in a book about a teenage Muslim girl, so she came up with Ms. Marvel. She also said she thought marvel would have to hire someone just to deal with the hate mail, but that didn't really happen. So I guess Kampala didn't get more 'hate mail' then most other characters/comics. So there is some good news...

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    Tangent question: when did Black Widow start being called "Nat"? Back in the days everybody used to call her "Tasha". When did that switch?
    I'm pretty sure Clint still calls her "Tasha," or maybe it's Bucky...

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Sometimes editors ask writers to pitch for specific ideas/ books, but I don't know how common that is versus writers pitches their ideas instead. I remember a documentary that had G. Willow Wilson and she said marvel was interested in a book about a teenage Muslim girl, so she came up with Ms. Marvel. She also said she thought marvel would have to hire someone just to deal with the hate mail, but that didn't really happen. So I guess Kampala didn't get more 'hate mail' then most other characters/comics. So there is some good news...
    The impression I get, with pitches, is it goes both ways. Editors will have a book in mind and ask writers to pitch. Or a writer will go to an editor they know and do a pitch. I think it's mostly the former, though.

Let's use Unstoppable Wasp as an example. Here's how I suspect it went down. Waid was on Avengers, and had an idea for a new character. He took the idea to his editor, who told him to go with it. So, Nadia gets introduced. The editor likes the character a lot, and sees potential, so figures, hey, maybe we can give her a solo. Waid either passes or his pitch doesn't quite work, so the editor looks for someone else. They're a fan of Princeless, and figure, hey, why not see if Jeremy Whitley's interested. He is, and he pitches, and the editor likes the pitch.

That's my guess. That's probably pretty common. Editor figures there's a market for a book, asks someone whose work they enjoy to pitch for the book, and either takes it or passes on it.

The impression I get, with pitches, is it goes both ways. Editors will have a book in mind and ask writers to pitch. Or a writer will go to an editor they know and do a pitch. I think it's mostly the former, though.

Let's use Unstoppable Wasp as an example. Here's how I suspect it went down. Waid was on Avengers, and had an idea for a new character. He took the idea to his editor, who told him to go with it. So, Nadia gets introduced. The editor likes the character a lot, and sees potential, so figures, hey, maybe we can give her a solo. Waid either passes or his pitch doesn't quite work, so the editor looks for someone else. They're a fan of Princeless, and figure, hey, why not see if Jeremy Whitley's interested. He is, and he pitches, and the editor likes the pitch.

That's my guess. That's probably pretty common. Editor figures there's a market for a book, asks someone whose work they enjoy to pitch for the book, and either takes it or passes on it.
    Somehow I don't get the feeling that the idea came from Waid. I personally think the original idea (having anew Wasp who'd be the daughter of Hank Pym, to match the movie) came from the editor. Of course there's no way to know for sure, so that's just an opinion that I wouldn't even debate about.
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

BANNED

Yet in the end editors must take responsibility when a book fails, as is the case when Wasp was channelled for the first time. Resurrecting such an unpopular book, mere months after the first disastrous launch, reflects badly on Marvel's editors. When Wasp fails again there must be consequences for the editor who greenlit such a money loosing book. To fail once is a mistake, to fail twice is incompetence; it's long past due when Marvel needs to clean-up its editors and get their house in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    Somehow I don't get the feeling that the idea came from Waid. I personally think the original idea (having anew Wasp who'd be the daughter of Hank Pym, to match the movie) came from the editor. Of course there's no way to know for sure, so that's just an opinion that I wouldn't even debate about.
    Yeah, I was thinking it could've gone either way. Waid having an idea for a character, or the editor asking Waid to come up with a character. Either way, Nadia turned out as different from Movie Hope as one could possibly imagine. And honestly, given what a continuity nerd Waid is, it wouldn't surprise me if he'd been sitting on an idea for years about the child of Hank and his first wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Yet in the end editors must take responsibility when a book fails, as is the case when Wasp was channelled for the first time. Resurrecting such an unpopular book, mere months after the first disastrous launch, reflects badly on Marvel's editors. When Wasp fails again there must be consequences for the editor who greenlit such a money loosing book. To fail once is a mistake, to fail twice is incompetence; it's long past due when Marvel needs to clean-up its editors and get their house in order.
    It never lost money. It reached the point where it wasn't making enough money to justify continue publishing it, but I can pretty much guarantee it didn't lose them any money. And then it managed to keep making money through other channels, particularly in trades, where word-of-mouth was able to keep the trade selling month after month. And now, the hope is that the people who read the trades might decide to pick it up in singles, and even if they don't, it should still last long enough to get another two trades out of it, which should keep making Marvel money for a long time to come, since trades don't rely on the same "order it three months before it even comes out" model of the direct market, and can remain profitable pretty much forever.

Maybe assume that the people who make comics have some idea what they're doing, and aren't the total idiots that you, a person with absolutely none of the information they have access to, with no experience working in the comic industry, or working in the publishing industry, or really anything that would actually provide you any of the expertise you've convinced yourself you have despite not knowing a damned thing, seem to believe they are. But nah, you're definitely way more of an expert in the industry than they are, because you look at the Comichron rankings, and that is the be-all end-all of the industry. Some jackass who doesn't work in comics is clearly going to know more about how comics work than any of the people who actually do work in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Do you have the figures showing Wasp to be losing money? I invite anyone with actual dollar amounts for revenue and expenses to post them.

In the real world, most comic series cancel. Many come back with varying degrees of success. The threshold of success is Marvel's to make. We decide if we want to buy the book; they decide if it'sa success

BANNED

Maybe assume that the people who make comics have some idea what they're doing, and aren't the total idiots that you, a person with absolutely none of the information they have access to, with no experience working in the comic industry, or working in the publishing industry, or really anything that would actually provide you any of the expertise you've convinced yourself you have despite not knowing a damned thing, seem to believe they are. But nah, you're definitely way more of an expert in the industry than they are, because you look at the Comichron rankings, and that is the be-all end-all of the industry. Some jackass who doesn't work in comics is clearly going to know more about how comics work than any of the people who actually do work in comics.
    The failure of so many Marvel books to reach 12 issues in the last three years is unprecedented. This goes beyond the normal rate of attrition and calls into question the competency of Marvel's editorial staff. Bad decisions and bad PR, low selling books and an adversarial relationship with fans on social media. If it were any other industry Marvel's editors would've been fired long ago, they just aren't doing their job properly. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to recruit some better artists; the drop in visual quality since 2015 is really becoming noticeable and shows no sign of improving.