Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

The lot of you could get together and purchase a Nielsen BookScan subscription. Would cover just about all physical purchases, but you're still lost on ebook sales.

spoilers:
    It's something like $2500, I think.
    end of spoilers

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    So if trades are whats keeping these books alive and the floppy sales are abysmal...why doesn't marvel just start releasing graphic novels instead?
    They've tried original GNs in fits and starts..."Avengers: The Coldest War," there were those "Season One" books they sold in the Disney stores a few years back. The irony is that back in the 80's/90's Marvel actually could sell original cape stories as GNs, they had a whole line at one point.

I really think keeping low selling floppies are about trying to build word of mouth for the trades. Vertigo and Image have been using that model for years. It's not shocking that Marvel would turn to it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Tone down the stunned act. The direct market is still the largest market. The other stuff is mostly inconsequential. Though I understand you may be in denial because you want the new characters to be a success.
    The other stuff is not inconsequential. The other stuff is where actual growth is happening. The other markets matter. Your dismissal of them is clinging to an outdated model of the industry, and ignoring what everyone with actual insider knowledge of the industry has to say. I'm not in denial about anything, I'm choosing to assume that the people who work in comics know how their books sell. You're the one who's decided that anyone who says something that runs counter to your "the direct market is the only thing that matters and Marvel is run by total idiots who want to lose money" narrative is a liar. Which is truly breathtaking in its ignorance. An impressive display of twisting logic until it stops being logic any more, in order to allow you to believe anything you want, no matter how little sense it makes.

Christ. Yeah, I'm done. Just completely done. There is clearly absolutely no point in continuing this discussion with you. You're so invested in a nonsense conspiracy theory that you're going to dismiss all arguments, all logic, all facts, as being lies. So whatever. Enjoy your paranoid delusions of Marvel's apparent hatred of money. Whatever.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Tone down the stunned act. The direct market is still the largest market. The other stuff is mostly inconsequential. Though I understand you may be in denial because you want the new characters to be a success.
    Here's a chart I saw once that fundamentally reshaped how I thought about the comics market: http://fybw.org/post/125933301217/by...-another-sales

Ms. Marvel TPB 1's astronomically high numbers have probably only grown since then because it's one of those perennial sellers that gets put on recommendation lists all the time. And it's also in Marvel's interest to keep printing Captain Marvel trades, not only because of its above average sales in the past, but also because of rising interest in the character due to the movie. (They're even reprinting the Brian Reed stories under the Captain Marvel branding.) (And obviously they need to keep printing Captain Marvel every once in a while to keep the trademark )

People haven't been making up the idea that certain series do really well outside of single issues through Diamond, and Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel are actually decent examples of that.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    If this book stared the Wasp I would try it. Since it stars a cheap ripoff then I will ignore it. Its a shame that sales figures don't matter to Marvel anymore.
    If they make up for it in other venues though ( trades, toys, TV/Movies, etc), it's worth it to them. It's no secret that Wonder Woman was close to cancellation numbers a few times over years but they didn't pull the plug because they didn't want to lose the rights because they were making too much money on merchandise.

sales figure talk is boring as hell. i wonder if Nadia will ever meet Monica Rappaccini's daughter, Scorpion.

So, I’m the conspiracy theorist because I don’t believe in phantom sales? Got it. I’m not the one making claims with no evidence her.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    sales figure talk is boring as hell. i wonder if Nadia will ever meet Monica Rappaccini's daughter, Scorpion.
    Ooh, that'd be neat. Though what made her fighting Rappaccini so enjoyable was her appreciation of Rappaccini as a scientist, while Scorpion is just a fighter. So I'm not sure it would really mean all that much. But hey, I wouldn't complain about Scorpion showing up.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

So, I’m the conspiracy theorist because I don’t believe in phantom sales? Got it. I’m not the one making claims with no evidence her.
    Uhhh, yes, that is exactly what you're doing. I asked for your evidence that the Marvel claims are not true and.... I'm still waiting. Screaming ''phantom sales'' doesn't make it true just because you want it to. A user just above posted a different chart that offers a different perspective. THAT is evidence. So where is yours?

A conspiracy is when someone believes an individual or organization operates against other more reasonable explanations to proliferate an idea or agenda.

In this case, the idea you're a conspiracy theorist stems from the belief you think a multibillion dollar corporation runs it's business against the goal of making money based on two titles despite all other titles operating by the same rules though for different agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I'd like to see Scorpion come back. It's really about time for her to make some more appearances. Nadia's book might actually be a really good place, though I was hoping for her to appear in Wolverine's book while Laura was in the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    I'd like to see Scorpion come back. It's really about time for her to make some more appearances. Nadia's book might actually be a really good place, though I was hoping for her to appear in Wolverine's book while Laura was in the role.
    good idea. she'd be a great sparring partner for Laura. they were both weaponized from birth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Ooh, that'd be neat. Though what made her fighting Rappaccini so enjoyable was her appreciation of Rappaccini as a scientist, while Scorpion is just a fighter. So I'm not sure it would really mean all that much. But hey, I wouldn't complain about Scorpion showing up.
    i meant more as a envoy of Monica. tired of Nadia interfering in A.I.M's affairs, she sends Thanasee after her and G.I.R.L.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Uhhh, yes, that is exactly what you're doing. I asked for your evidence that the Marvel claims are not true and.... I'm still waiting. Screaming ''phantom sales'' doesn't make it true just because you want it to. A user just above posted a different chart that offers a different perspective. THAT is evidence. So where is yours?
    Your asking me to prove that something doesn’t exist when there is no evidence it exists. I don’t know why this is so difficult to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    A conspiracy is when someone believes an individual or organization operates against other more reasonable explanations to proliferate an idea or agenda.

In this case, the idea you're a conspiracy theorist stems from the belief you think a multibillion dollar corporation runs it's business against the goal of making money based on two titles despite all other titles operating by the same rules though for different agendas.
    It’s not that they’re against making money, it’s that they don’t care if they do.