Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i meant more as a envoy of Monica. tired of Nadia interfering in A.I.M's affairs, she sends Thanasee after her and G.I.R.L.
    That'd work.

And then during the course of the fight, Nadia and the girls talk to Scorpion and make some really compelling arguments that convince her to switch sides and oppose her mom.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    It’s not that they’re against making money, it’s that they don’t care if they do.
    Yeeeeaaaah... Let's not try to shift what you've been saying across these threads. I respect you more than that.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Your asking me to prove that something doesn’t exist when there is no evidence it exists. I don’t know why this is so difficult to grasp.
    There is no evidence it doesn't exist either. You can prove that something doesn't exist when you have information that directly contradicts its existence. Do you have that? Apparently not. And if there is no evicence on both sides whatsoever, then you are in no position to demand people to prove you anything when you can't do the same. We're all just going by speculation here, and I'm sorry if I choose to believe in the actual professionals whose job is to know what's going on behind the scenes at Marvel over some random on the internet.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 06-14-2018 at 08:59 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    There is no evidence it doesn't exist either. You can prove that something doesn't exist when you have information that directly contradicts its existence. Do you have that? Apparently not. And if there is no evicence on both sides whatsoever, then you are in no position to demand people to prove you anything when you can't do the same. We're all just going by speculation here, and I'm sorry if I choose to believe in the actual professionals whose job is to know what's going on behind the scenes at Marvel over some random on the internet.
    All the available financial data points to the conclusion that Wasp was a commercial failure. This view is further supported by the fact that Wasp was cancelled after only a handful of issues, the cancellation matches the data. Conversely, brining Wasp back doesn't make any sense financially, because it goes against the data. As such, the burden of proof is on you to provide new data that refutes the commercial failure of Wasp as a book. Thus far you have been unable to provide any new information.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Yeeeeaaaah... Let's not try to shift what you've been saying across these threads. I respect you more than that.
    I don’t see how the statement you’re replying to contradicts what I have been saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    As you correctly point out, all we have as evidence of the phantom sales are statements from a few professionals. Professionals that have an interest in lying about it and don’t behave particularly professionally on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    All the available financial data points to the conclusion that Wasp was a commercial failure. This view is further supported by the fact that Wasp was cancelled after only a handful of issues, the cancellation matches the data. Conversely, brining Wasp back doesn't make any sense financially, because it goes against the data. As such, the burden of proof is on you to provide new data that refutes the commercial failure of Wasp as a book. Thus far you have been unable to provide any new information.
    Pretty much. It makes more sense to extrapolate and make estimates based on the number we have than take the word of somebody who has an interest in bending the truth that provide no evidence.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 06-14-2018 at 09:24 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Sure, because Marvel loves printing books that lose them money. Come on. Whitley and Smith didn't make **** up. Marvel doesn't release any of their sales info, but people in the know have been saying for months that Unstoppable Wasp has been doing very well in trades.
    At the moment, your first sentence is a true statement.
    If you think Marvel is still interested in making money, I don’t know if you understand how the comic industry works.
    I don’t see how the statement you’re replying to contradicts what I have been saying.

As you correctly point out, all we have as evidence of the phantom sales are statements from a few professionals. Professionals that have an interest in lying about it and don’t behave particularly professionally on social media.

Pretty much. It makes more sense to extrapolate and make estimates based on the number we have than take the word of somebody who has an interest in bending the truth that provide no evidence.
    Ah, I see. Literal linguistics.

"I'm not actually saying it. I'm just very much implying it." I get it.

Ah, I see. Literal linguistics.

"I'm not actually saying it. I'm just very much implying it." I get it.
    My point is that they love making the books that don’t make any money. Not BECAUSE they don’t make any money. It’s just the type of books they like making don’t make any money. I’m sure they’d like them to make money, so they could have legitimate bragging rights, but because they don’t, they just try to play them up as successes rather than changing their approach to create actual successes.

Hope that made sense.

My point is that they love making the books that don’t make any money. Not BECAUSE they don’t make any money. It’s just the type of books they like making don’t make any money. I’m sure they’d like them to make money, so they could have legitimate bragging rights, but because they don’t, they just try to play them up as successes rather than changing their approach to create actual successes.

Hope that made sense.
    That's saying they are against making money since they're intentionally making books that make no money. If they were pro money they'd make books that make money, and if they didn't care about making money they wouldn't release any books. So if they're making books it would be with the intention to lose money if their goal was to make no money.

That's what you're saying. I'm just not sure why you're saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    MARVEL! IS! A! FRIGGING! BUSINESS! THEY PUBLISH COMICS! TO MAKE A PROFIT! IF THEY PUBLISH A COMIC! IT IS BECAUSE THAT COMIC! MAKES THEM MONEY!

This is not complicated. But deluded conspiracy theorists want to believe that Marvel, unique out of all businesses, does not care about making a profit. That Disney, unique of all businesses, is totally OK with one of their subsidiaries losing them money. Because the idea that people who make comics aren't lying sacks of **** is apparently impossible for you people to understand. A comic making money outside the direct market is, for some reason, such a massive threat to the way you see the industry, that you choose instead to believe that Jeremy Whitley, who has never shown himself to be anything less than a gentleman, is intentionally lying to people. Rather than accept that there are other avenues for people to read comics, and that those other avenues are capable of making some comics financially viable, you people choose instead to attack the integrity of people who make comics.

I'm going to be blunt: This is a vile tactic. It is disgusting. You are attacking the creators as people. You are attacking Whitley and Smith and all the other professionals who talk about how trade sales can save a book, as people. That is a reprehensible tactic to take. And you're doing it because a book you don't like is getting published. Get the hell over it. Unstoppable Wasp is being published, there's nothing you can do to stop it, so get the hell over it. Read something you do enjoy, instead of sitting there bitching about this and accusing Marvel of being made up of liars and incompetents.

The hubris of assuming you know more about Marvel's sales than the people who actually work there, and accusing the people at Marvel of being liars because they're not supporting your own preconceived notions of how the industry works. Because they're not saying that the direct market is the only thing that matters and all other avenues for reading comics are invalid. Because they're saying that the Wednesday Warriors aren't the only ones whose buying habits matter. Is that what it is? Are you so insecure about other people enjoying your hobby that you have to reject their very existence? Because that's pathetic.

This whole bitch-fest about Unstoppable Wasp being brought back is pathetic. Just get over it, and get over yourselves.

Like... I would get it if people were to claim, "Marvel isn't trying to maximize profits by releasing books which have a risk of failure and will have slimmer profit margins." I'd get it. Wasp isn't going to outsell Wolverine or the Avengers ever. Wasp won't make as much money. But that's a completely different concept than the bonkers belief that Marvel is actively NOT trying to make money.

It is a business. They should publish books to make money. But alas, they don’t care. If they did, they’d bring back characters and creators that are guaranteed sellers. But they don’t. They continue pushing characters that a small minority cares about and disparage people who criticize their decisions as people who just aren’t enlightened enough to accept the new characters and they don’t need them anyway. A few months ago, Scott Snyder tweeted that he valued criticism of his work and the editor you are pointing to for the phantom sales retweeted it implying that a significant part of criticism is racist and sexist and she blocks people who criticize her work. That’s a gross assumption. It’s no way to treat potential customers and just shows that there is a segment of pros that don’t care about maximizing profit.

Like... I would get it if people were to claim, "Marvel isn't trying to maximize profits by releasing books which have a risk of failure and will have slimmer profit margins." I'd get it. Wasp isn't going to outsell Wolverine or the Avengers ever. Wasp won't make as much money. But that's a completely different concept than the bonkers belief that Marvel is actively NOT trying to make money.
    Again... That’s not what I said. They are bringing back failed books because they are passionate about the messages in the book and would rather publish it than something that would actually sell. They aren’t doing it because they know it won’t make money. They just don’t care.

Again... That’s not what I said. They are bringing back failed books because they are passionate about the messages in the book and would rather publish it than something that would actually sell. They aren’t doing it because they know it won’t make money. They just don’t care.
    You may not feel this way, but it is what you're saying. You're just sort of dressing it up as a "We don't even have a plan anymore," business model for Marvel. Either they're out to make money or they're not out to make money. It's not like they have some sort of third option that deals them money and no money at the same time.

But if they're doing that intentionally, which you suggested they are, then they're making books to not make money. Their business model would then be, "To not make money."

Again... disconnect the two. They are choosing messaging over sales. But they would be happier if they did sell. They aren’t producing these books purely because they know they won’t sell. That’s not their goal. It’s a consequence of their goal.

Again... disconnect the two. They are choosing messaging over sales. But they would be happier if they did sell. They aren’t producing these books purely because they know they won’t sell. That’s not their goal. It’s a consequence of their goal.
    I don't think you quite understand what you're saying.

What you're trying to get at implies Marvel does know there's no audience, so their business model is to not make money because they'd be intentionally printing a book they know won't sell. Because if they ARE producing these books with the thought they might sell, then they'd be producing these books with the intent to make money. Which would be different than "not caring" if they make money or not.