Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I honestly think he's too funny and broad for a lot of the current Marvel writers. He's basically a comedy character, and not a dry witty comedy character, just very cartoony and goofy. Can you imagine, say, Hickman writing him? You just have to be willing to embrace the silliness to have Herc; Thor can be written as more of a serious character, even though he's a little silly himself. Obviously Dan Slott enjoys writing Herc, but he hasn't written anything that would call for him to be around.
    I think you're right. Ideally Herc should be written as silliness for smart people. He's actually very tough to write because he's not a snarky, post modernist, dark hero. He's a mixture of grand mythological hero with a true heart and a tragic history; and over the top, womanising, comic buffoon. The writers have to manage both sides. (Pak and van Lenten did this really well).

A badly written Herc by a writer who can't balance his mixture of epic awesomeness (in the original sense of the words) low comedy, and genuine goodness is awful. When he's not written just right, I hate reading him.

Anyway, here's spider Herc, just for fun. Herc gets super spider powers: and realises that "with great power comes great...angst?" It's a good example of mixing his godly side with a beer gag.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 07-23-2014 at 06:06 PM.
    "Self has no time for this."

He would be great in Thunderbolts to replace Deadpool. I would enjoy him hitting on Elektra and buddying around with Ghost Rider.

BANNED

Really this is a point, Hercules, Marvel Comics is one of "heroic" character in the sense simpler, these words he's just a big guy, well meaning, full of goodness, fallible, human, who gets into Homer's antics, more like the Hercules, of Disney cartoon series, who lived in a world where the myths of ancient Greece were not so serious, and even the Greek Gods could have some sense of humor that was not the malignant deities who saw mortals just like toys for their whims. And rightfully so Hercules was cool as a superhero of Marvel Comics because he did not bring, as seriously as a character

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I thought the story was Gravity died and was supposed to have a big comeback but that got derailed so he's still dead. From what I've read of Gravity he seems cool too though.
    No. Gravity was supposed to become the Protector of the Universe, but those plans got derailed. He died but he was brought back. He hooked up with the Young Allies for a bit, and kind of sort of paired up with Firestar who unfortunately is trapped in the X-Office.

He's around, but he's not doing much. It's a shame they never let him join the ranks of the Avengers. Especially since they didn't really have anyone with his particular powerset, and everyone else was already a veteran hero.

BANNED

Really a shame to think that in the current phase of the Marvel comics characters like Hercules did not have more place. Lately heroes simply ceased to be "heroes". There was a time that to be "hero" was not necessary to be a "God Incarnate" and for a brief, wonderful time to be a hero just had to be the most noble, dignified and upright intentions and even characters not as central as Hercules Marvel occupied with honor and dignity of the place the legendary members of the Avengers when all its members were just as concerned with their own affairs and personal problems that simply "disbanded" and let the world surrendered to its fate. It was simple at that time ... there was the Good,existed the Evil, there was the "Right", there was the "Wrong", the villains were not so utterly diabolical monsters that heroes had no choice but to "kill them". Heroes NEVER killed.

Simple as that. Heroes were always examples of human beings of character, integrity, kindness, justice , higher humanity , nobility, honor and humanity to readers. For more "naive" to our vision of shades of gray today it was wonderful and worked. The villains were not monsters too. When we could not beat them also was never to go down to their level and use them in the same ways. Heroes never descended to the level of those whom fought, and equaled to them ... Nowadays, laugh, this vision, and would find it, "infant" and "simplistic." For many people it would be a "joke", however, at least for me, was one important, it was not necessary, to be a "God among Men" time to do all the difference, and, even, superheroes, most humble,as Hercules from Marvel Comics could be as important as the greatest heroes of the Marvel Universe. I admit many times seemed like a joke but if it was, it was also the most wonderful joke that I read .

Those wonderful times, it did not take, "the best of the best" among the heroes, to make a difference just having a good heart, and the villains they faced, they were not monsters, so absolutely evil, who came to cumulation of turning one of the members of the Avengers in a fur rug, making a museum whose "trophies" were body parts of your enemies like the "Maestro", cut off one of the arms of a former partner of another member, become heroes of a universe in human flesh-eating zombies, did not think about ripping members, across the chest or explode anyone's skull with his fists or a villain to come and rape the wife of a member after another come and kill her Pregnant with her son from one of the Heroes.

Not that period the heroes faced just a bunch of villains picks with outlandish plans and gadgetry capable of freezing the Sun, Oriental Dragons with ridiculous names, Leaders caps with giant heads and super-intellect irradiated by gamma radiation, M.O.D.O.K.S giants heads , Mole Man large noses alleged to conquerors, Men Frogs space aliens, etc. Heroes could be "heroes" just for being guys with hearts of gold full of good intentions and enjoy and "take the fun" and do not take too seriously.

Today? I can bad distinguish the "heroes" of the "villains" because the heroes are no longer beings of high nobility and morality that never ever under any circumstances descended to the same level as the villains who fought and were examples of better human beings, more fair and more righteous who NEVER killed. Not anymore today. Happened what Alex Ross predicted in " Kingdom Come ". Marvel and DC Comics turned in Image Comics heroes and today grind their teeth while they shoot busloads of innocent passengers when the villains are fighting and devastate everything without caring about the destruction they cause and the lives that take being only slightly better than the villains that fight. Look at Superman movie "Man of Steel" with the Super Hero who in the past was the greatest example of honesty, justice and humanity suddenly turn into Magog and break the neck of General Zod for you to see if I have no reason ?

Anyway sorry for Hercules have no more place. It's a pity. I will miss this big guy ...
    Last edited by Sansomon; 07-26-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

I miss my Hercules! He needs to come back to the MU and bring his heroic spirit, enthusiasm and humor with him. The MU really needs his character and personality!
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Er... You guys know that Hercules is dead, yes?
    He was killed by Striker in Avengers Academy.

herc.jpg
    Last edited by mugiwara; 08-24-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

I didn't, but then neither did Marvel, because he has had a brief appearance in fearless defenders after AA ended. (I'm not saying it was a good appearance).

image.jpg
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 08-24-2014 at 11:12 PM.
    "Self has no time for this."

Extraordinary Member

You could always check this website for upcoming appearances of any superhero or villain,transformers,g.i.joe,tv shows,movies, etc..
    I do it for blue marvel my top favorite superhero now and for others.

Comicbookdb.com
    Hercules (Marvel) - Chronological Listing

December 2012:
    Michael Wm. Kaluta Sketchbook Series (2012) OGN SC vol. 03 - 'Volume Three'

January 2013:
    Fantastic Four (2013) #1 - 'Unstable'

June 2013:
    Wolverine & The X-Men (2011) #27 AU - 'Age Of Ultron: Road Trip'

November 2013:
    Fearless Defenders (2013) #9

May 2014:
    Marvel Knights: Hulk (2014) #4 - 'Transform Four of Four'
    The Superior Foes of Spider-Man (2013) #10

June 2014:
    Deadpool (2013) #27 - 'The Wedding of Deadpool'

http://comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=157

Hercules
    http://comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=157

http://comicbookdb.com/search.php?fo...type=Character

Comicvine.com is another one to keep updated but comicbookdb is easier to do the research or look up stuff like that.
    Last edited by mace11; 08-25-2014 at 04:39 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Er... You guys know that Hercules is dead, yes?
    He was killed by Striker in Avengers Academy.

herc.jpg
    No. Striker did not kill Herc. The very next panel has Striker jokingly telling Herc he's a horrible actor because of his over the top fake death portrayal.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 08-25-2014 at 05:44 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

It's a crying shame that they haven't tried a Hercules & Black Knight series yet.

What happened to Hercules you ask?

Well Laura just wasn't impressed

End of story

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    You could always check this website for upcoming appearances of any superhero or villain,transformers,g.i.joe,tv shows,movies, etc..
    I do it for blue marvel my top favorite superhero now and for others.

Comicbookdb.com

December 2012:
    Michael Wm. Kaluta Sketchbook Series (2012) OGN SC vol. 03 - 'Volume Three'

January 2013:
    Fantastic Four (2013) #1 - 'Unstable'

June 2013:
    Wolverine & The X-Men (2011) #27 AU - 'Age Of Ultron: Road Trip'

November 2013:
    Fearless Defenders (2013) #9

May 2014:
    Marvel Knights: Hulk (2014) #4 - 'Transform Four of Four'
    The Superior Foes of Spider-Man (2013) #10

June 2014:
    Deadpool (2013) #27 - 'The Wedding of Deadpool'

http://comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=157

Hercules
    http://comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=157

http://comicbookdb.com/search.php?fo...type=Character

Comicvine.com is another one to keep updated but comicbookdb is easier to do the research or look up stuff like that.
    I always check Herc on Comicvine, but thanks for the heads up on Comicbookdb. I'll check that out too!

I just want more than one or two panels of Hercules in a comic. I want a real appearance where he is vital and important to the story. Although, what I really want is for him to be in a regular series again!
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

BANNED

IMO, being a member of either the super hero team 'Champions' or 'Heroes for Hire' is to depict the comicbook character Hercules be vital and important.

The last time I checked he was turned into Thor...and then he was turned into Aquaman!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest