Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DOMINO #3 Discussion/Spoiler Thread: Celebrating Being a Rotten Friend

...y'know what, I don't have a clever, snarky intro like I usually aim for. I'm just...too happy this book exists to be a dick about everything.

Is this how joy feels? It's unusual.

Spoiler Summary:
    spoilers:
    From the preview pages: left reeling by the bomb blast that might've just killed her friends, Domino's buried memories float to the surface again. She's a child, locked up in a lab in Florida, confronted by scientists with phoney smiles and false generosity. They want her to demonstrate her powers; she can't. She wants to know what happened to the other kids here; they won't say. One of the techs - Dr. Rossini - applies a taser to Neena, but she grits her teeth and does nothing, so they leave, but not before the other tech - Dr. Corando - opens the box that's been provoking his allergies, and leaves behind a cat. Neena calls it 'Christmas' despite not knowing what that is.

Back in the present, Domino forces herself up, takes another look at what used to be a boat, and gets very, very angry. Topaz and her elderly companion are still on the cruise ship, and Domino chases them down, forgoing her guns in favour of hand-to-hand. This actually works at first, and in a moment to breathe Topaz half-explains why she hates Domino so much, before she uses her power-warping, uh...powers, and the sudden agony of her mutation exceeding her body's limits paralyzes Neena. Topaz toys with her more, wondering who or what she can tear out of Neena's life next, before she and her partner teleport away. Domino sits in shock for a moment...then Outlaw, Diamondback, Cho and Adelbert reappear, soaked but unhurt. Professionalism be damned, Domino hugs them.

Later: Cho explains what happened. Just before the bomb went off, Diamondback...noticed it and warned everyone, giving Cho enough time to Hulk up and pull everyone down underwater. The timing struck Cho as suspicious, though, and argues with Domino about her possibly being a traitor. Domino explains the first time she met Rachel, where she was hired as extra security for some old fart's antique collection. Diamondback snuck in that night, and Domino was so impressed (and so bored of her actual job) she offered a team-up instead of a fight. Shifting topics, Cho says he can't find a technological work-around for Topaz screwing with Neena's powers, and the best option would be for Domino to get a better handle on them and how she controls them - and he might know someone who could help. That means a trip to Hong Kong, alone. Domino lies to Outlaw and Diamondback rather than explain why she has to go alone. It's not very convincing.

More flashback! Kid Neena (and Christmas) gets dragged away from an ominous vault marked 'Prototype' for another session with the doctors. This time they threaten to tase the cat, insisting that Neena can only save Christmas by forcing the taser to malfunction. Instead, Dr. Corando sneezes, drops the cat, and accidentally plants his forehead on the taser, getting knocked right out. Dr. Rossini demands Neena be taken in for branding, and insists it goes on her face, so she'll never forget what happened here.

Hong Kong, Lantau Island: Domino follows a long dirt road to a solitary wooden house, surrounded by rejects from various fighting games. They insist she must wait to see 'the master', and get violent when Domino tries to queue-jump. They regret this decision, painfully. The noise brings out 'the master', and Neena makes a suddenly ham-fisted explanation, but Shang-Chi (for it is of course he) reluctantly agrees, sensing the spiritual trauma within Neena. She's delighted, meanwhile, 'cause nobody ever drew Shang-Chi this hot before.
    end of spoilers

Initial Thoughts:
    - Yes, that was...a very long 'summary'. Couldn't be helped, this was a busy issue.
    - While David Baldéon remains the main artist for the series, Anthony Piper handled the periodic flashbacks with Kid Neena. His is a much less busy style, with simpler, 'cleaner' lines, which does make those events almost seem to be happening in slow motion by comparison, although some of the faces seem more stretched than I've seen from Piper's work before - maybe an effort to hew closer to Baldéon's work?
    - Oh hey there, Domino's costume from the 2003 miniseries. AND a mention of [MILD SPOILER FOR CHARACTER THAT HASN'T BEEN ACKNOWLEDGED IN LIKE 15 YEARS]? My cup runneth over.
    - The early Dom/Topaz throwdown is vicious in a way that feels far more real than most rival battles in comics. There's no posturing, no witticisms, no heavy-handed attempt at symmetry or illustrative opposites; it's just bitterness boiled over, carried by ugly threats and Baldéon's unsurpassed ability to draw pissed-off faces.
    - The letters page has a photo of someone's guinea pig that has a Domino spot. So you're also getting that, which is just good value for money.

Continue with your nonsense.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

If you put summary/spoilers in the title, you do not have to spoiler tag the content.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    If you put summary/spoilers in the title, you do not have to spoiler tag the content.
    A perfectly sensible argument but I guarantee you, if I didn't use the tags, someone would complain.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

LIVE YOUR DREAMS CraigTheCylon -- be they tagged or otherwise. I can't wait to read this whilst I elypticize. This series has been a real blessing to the X-verse and that momentum seems to only increase with each passing ISH

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    A perfectly sensible argument but I guarantee you, if I didn't use the tags, someone would complain.
    Then you should smack them ;-)

It is a great summary.

Good issue rank 8 of 10.
    I found the ending funny who needs Colossus? There's a lot of fish in the sea

I appreciate the inclusion of Diamondback in this series.

BANNED

I couldn't help but think about the flashback to Laura and the puppy from the Liu X-23 series when the docs gave Dom the kitten.

The Posse....ugh
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I like that this issue put a spotlight on Neena supporting cast and how they mesh together.

Definitely digging the title. Initially, just started to read it because of Shang-Chi guest-starring (more on him later), but reading the title reminded me a lot of Simone's previous works. Huge fan of Outlaw from back in the Agent X days! Additionally, Simone paints some really great characterization of Domino. I can see her struggling with severe childhood trauma, trust issues with friends, and conflicts with enemies. (Her threat against Topaz was very intimidating). Overall, the title is just really good, clean character work and storytelling.

As for Shang-Chi appearing, I think it's pretty cool. First off, Simone acknowledges continuity. Amadeus Cho and Shang-Chi have teamed up before, so reading Cho mention Shang made me very happy. Secondly, the usage of Hong Kong was a big plus. As someone who lived and worked there for 5 years, I dug the use of Lantau Island, Kowloon Bay, shrimp congee, and other nods. Seeing Domino have a crush on Shang was the most prominent feature of the issue for me. In one sense, I'm proud. As an Asian-American male, I rarely see us as objects of affection or lust. In another sense though, I'm still trying to make sense of it. Domino is a new character for me, so I'm not sure if this is keeping with her character. As much as I want to see Asian males involved in romance, I'm still a little uncomfortable with it (Guess that goes back to my own upbringing about Asian males showing emotion or expressing affection). Finally, was Shang really that attractive? Honestly, I think he could have been made hotter. Dude needs to show off the Kung Fu eight-pack!

BUT, I overally, I enjoyed this issue. I'm interested in seeing where this relationship between Domino and Shang will go next issue.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Domino acting like a schoolgirl with Shang Chi was eye rolling and not at all in character. Read like fan fiction.

The Project Armegeddon flashbacks had me interested though.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    The Posse....ugh
    Lol right
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    The Project Armegeddon flashbacks had me interested though.
    Yeah and totally don't line up with her mini she was always branded

I wish Simone would confirm Dom is black and get it over with
    Last edited by BroHomo; 06-14-2018 at 05:26 PM. Reason: confirm

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Yeah and totally don't line up with her mini she was always branded
    Nothing in either previous Domino mini confirms when Neena was branded, so there's no real timeline for Simone to 'line up with' beyond it probably happening during childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Nothing in either previous Domino mini confirms when Neena was branded, so there's no real timeline for Simone to 'line up with' beyond it probably happening during childhood.
    Uh im sure in her first mini out was said she was branded pretty early on like the other children which was only on their face
    20180614_205848.jpg
    Like her lil bro